Lift and ramp recommendations

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
rocksandhammers
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 2006 Boulevard S50

Lift and ramp recommendations

Post by rocksandhammers »

Thinking about getting a jack for the bike to work on the bike this winter. I have a small scissor jack that works well enough for oil changes and simple stuff, but I need something a little sturdier for when I take the wheels off (and to make it a little easier on my back while going over electrical connections). Anyone have any recommendations on what to get (or to avoid)?

I’m also thinking about getting some ramps for the truck bed. I’ve got a Silverado 1500 with an 8’ bed so it would be nice to be able to get the bike in the back if I ever needed to drive it somewhere (or knock on wood get it from the side of the road). It looks like most of the stuff online are pretty thin ramps that are only wide enough for the tire. Not being able to walk up with it or sit on it while getting it down makes me nervous but I figured I’d ask what some of you guys do.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Lift and ramp recommendations

Post by navigator »

For a lift, this one works well.

You can find similar at Harbor Freight, sears, pep boys, home depot.
Make sure it locks in several up positions, and be sure to strap your bike to it.

For the ramp, a 3 piece wide is the best, you can walk or ride up.
https://www.discountramps.com/motorcycl ... gJtc_D_BwE
The arch helps with not catching the footpeg bracket on the ramp/tailgate interface.
Backing to a hill, or putting the rear truck axle in a ditch also helps.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I don't have a lift. I use ratchet straps on the rafters to lift the bike if the hyd floor jack isn't adaquate.

I have a set of ramps that are made for loading riding lawn mowers/garden tractors in the back of pickups. There are 2 ramps and they can be spaced at any distance needed for easy loading. I have used them more times than I can count and they work well. Trouble is I bought them over 30 years ago and have not seen them for sale again.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

rocksandhammers
Scooter Enthusiast

navigator wrote:For a lift, this one works well.

Make sure it locks in several up positions, and be sure to strap your bike to it.
Yeah, I was looking at something like this. Saw the harbor freight one but considering I'll have it to lift my bike up I was a little nervous about the typical harbor freight quality. The one you posted isn't too much more in price though.

As far as the ramps, I was thinking of something like that. The tailgate on my truck has a decent height to it so I wasn't sure how much gradient there would be. Does it hook into the tailgate so it doesn't slip?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

I believe the ramp has a full width lip for the tailgate and either safety chains or wires to hook to the truck bumper so it can't slide back.
I agree on the Harbor Freight quality issue, just giving some examples for your shopping for price.
I have the big red and it works well.

Nick C2
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: LC

Post by Nick C2 »

rocksandhammers wrote:

Yeah, I was looking at something like this. Saw the harbor freight one but considering I'll have it to lift my bike up I was a little nervous about the typical harbor freight quality. The one you posted isn't too much more in price though.
I have been using the Harbor Freight lift for years, no problems lifting my LC.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

Herb wrote:I don't have a lift. I use ratchet straps on the rafters to lift the bike if the hyd floor jack isn't adaquate.I.
Or if you don't have rafters you could just haul it off the floor with a big old tree. Plenty of light and safe as houses.

Me N herb have been doing this for years now.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Nick C2 wrote:
rocksandhammers wrote:

I have been using the Harbor Freight lift for years, no problems lifting my LC.
[emoji106] Yeah, that lift, like most, is pretty decent.
I have a Harbor Freight hydraulic lift table, about $300 IIRC, works great.
HF has some good stuff, and some trash.
Their expendables are good... sandpaper, zip ties, welding wire, rivets, grinding wheels, etc.
I bought a 4" angle grinder for cheap, lasted about four hours. :donno: I didn't even use up the wheel.
I've had a Sears 4" angle grinder since the '80s....still good. :cheers:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

I have bought a lot of stuff from HF. Only had one complaint and when I took it back they replaced it with no problem. Both my 4 and 4.5 inch grinders are from there and I have used them for many hours over the years.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

Ive had hundreds of grinders until I bought Bosch.

Leckbass
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: 1992 Intruder 1400

Post by Leckbass »

Herb wrote:I have bought a lot of stuff from HF. Only had one complaint and when I took it back they replaced it with no problem. Both my 4 and 4.5 inch grinders are from there and I have used them for many hours over the years.
I have also used and abused their cheapo 4.5 in grinder for quite a few years. Best $8 I've spent!

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club
My Bike: SUZUKI

Post by franktiregod »

My opinion. Forget putting the bike in the truck. Buy a good utility trailer and mount a motorcycle chock in it.

Easy to load and unload. Imagine pushing that dead bike up ramps to the bed of the truck.

I used wingnuts on the bottom of my wheel chock mount in the trailer so if I wanted to use the trailer to haul anything else I just spin them off and pull the thing out.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

I have a trailer that works for hauling a bike but for normal use, it is a PITA to drag around. especially bad when traveling and trying to stop to eat or get gas. On top of that many states restrict the speed you can drive when towing. CA has 65 and 70 mph speed limits but only 55 if you are towing. Hate towing a trailer.

rocksandhammers
Scooter Enthusiast

Unfortunately a trailer isn’t really an option. Not in the budget and I don’t really have any space to store it.

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club

Post by franktiregod »

Herb wrote:I have a trailer that works for hauling a bike but for normal use, it is a PITA to drag around. especially bad when traveling and trying to stop to eat or get gas. On top of that many states restrict the speed you can drive when towing. CA has 65 and 70 mph speed limits but only 55 if you are towing. Hate towing a trailer.

Try pushing a bike up ramps into a truck bed on the side of the road and you will love that trailer. [emoji2]

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club

Post by franktiregod »

rocksandhammers wrote:Unfortunately a trailer isn’t really an option. Not in the budget and I don’t really have any space to store it.

Then definitely go with the wide fold up ramps that you can walk up with the bike.

I have one that a guy I did a hauling job for gave to me. I used it once to load a riding mower for someone.

Trust me you do not want to get that bike half way up or down and realize you can't push it or hold it anymore. [emoji2]

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

franktiregod wrote:
Herb wrote:I have a trailer that works for hauling a bike but for normal use, it is a PITA to drag around. especially bad when traveling and trying to stop to eat or get gas. On top of that many states restrict the speed you can drive when towing. CA has 65 and 70 mph speed limits but only 55 if you are towing. Hate towing a trailer.

Try pushing a bike up ramps into a truck bed on the side of the road and you will love that trailer. [emoji2]
I don't have breakdowns that require that. But then I don't ride a Harley.

:cheers:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Herb wrote:
franktiregod wrote:

I had a bike towing guy come and pick up a bike from me that I sold to someone in Cairns. He saw the LC from behind in the garage and said "here's a keyring with my number on it for when you need to tow your Harley".

I told him it was a Suzuki....he said OK you won't need this then....I said I'd take one for my buddy with a Harley....... :lmao:

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club

Post by franktiregod »

hillsy wrote:
Herb wrote:
franktiregod wrote:

I had a bike towing guy come and pick up a bike from me that I sold to someone in Cairns. He saw the LC from behind in the garage and said "here's a keyring with my number on it for when you need to tow your Harley".

I told him it was a Suzuki....he said OK you won't need this then....I said I'd take one for my buddy with a Harley....... :lmao:
:lmao:

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club

Post by franktiregod »

Herb wrote:
franktiregod wrote:

:lmao:

I didn't have a breakdown on my Zuki that required one but I sure did have a flat on the rear, on a Sunday, with no one open to get a tire.

Luckily I was within 60 miles of my house and my in-laws happened to be in the same area. I went home, got my trailer, and all was good.

Two things I absolutely must have are a truck (preferably long bed) and a trailer. I am always buying and hauling something. For a while I hauled for other people too. Until I had a bike wreck and hurt my shoulder I was hauling every weekend for estate sales. My trailer paid for itself many times over.