Intruder 1400 idle problems

STRICTLY Motorcycle Talk allowed here. ALL others get deleted!!!!
Paul wkd
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1991 vs 1400

Intruder 1400 idle problems

Post by Paul wkd »

Hello everyone, I’m a newbie to the intruder scene,
Just bought a cool 1991 vs 1400,
However I have a couple of issues ,
The bike runs great when the choke is on but when I came a stop light it idled really rough and cut out .
I’ve changed th plugs, oil and air filters , put some petrol treatment in the tank , still have the same issue.
I bought an electronic rev counter to adjust the idle , it was reading 560 -600 so adjusted it to 900 .
But then it erratically runs from 900 back to 500 then jumps around between the two.
Is it time for a carb strip down and sync?
Could it be an electrical issue , it’s maybe not connected but there is also an issue when I use the turn signals,as soon as I switch them on the engine backfires ,
Any help is appreciated,
Thanks Paul

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Re: Intruder 1400 idle problems

Post by hillsy v2 »

Check the charging system. Engine backfiring can be a sign of low voltage - and the fact it is happening when you turn on the indicators (IE: draw power) points to this.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Hi Paul. and welcome to The Board!

Before getting into a possible Carburetor(s) issue,...How well does the Starter Motor turn over the Engine? Have you checked the Battery Connections to make sure they are Clean and Tight?

A low battery/poor connections can cause some wonky symptoms such as you report and these are the easiest things to check . They are fundamental to just about all else. Tell us what you find.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Paul wkd wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:44 pm
Welcome!
Here are a couple of things to check out.

INTRUDER MANUALS AND INFORMATION
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14168

POSTING PICTURES ON INTRUDERS ALERT
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13992
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Paul wkd
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Paul wkd »

Thanks for the quick replies ,
I will check the battery when I’m off on Thursday ,
It also backfires when you pull the clutch to change gear ,
Maybe a stupid question but should the air filters be oiled ?
Thanks Paul

Paul wkd
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Paul wkd »

Before I got the bike , the bike had stood still for a couple of years ,then the previous owner sprookje it to the garage and they supposedly cleaned the carbs ,
So wondering if an electrical issue is more likely

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Paul wkd wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:32 am
Thanks for the quick replies ,I will check the battery when I’m off on Thursday ,
It also backfires when you pull the clutch to change gear ,
Maybe a stupid question but should the air filters be oiled ?Thanks Paul
That kinda-sorta leans towards a Carburetor issue.
But without the Battery/Power/Connection's solidly in place all else cannot be accurately done.

My Grandpa always said,...."The only stupid question is the one not asked"...
A assume you have Stock Air Filters? Yes, these Filters should be oiled . Do you have a Shop Manual?

Yes, we all look forwards to solving your problems.

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

Paul wkd
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Paul wkd »

So I just took a Quick Look at the bike and saw something sticking out of the battery box .
The voltage regulator has come loose and is hanging down .
That won’t help the sutuation .

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Paul wkd wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:39 pm
So I just took a Quick Look at the bike and saw something sticking out of the battery box .
The voltage regulator has come loose and is hanging down .
That won’t help the sutuation .
No it won't help.

There's a saying with the Cafe Racer crowd that goes "99% of carb problems are electrical".

Get the electrical sorted first before you dig into the carbs because it's a lot of work getting them out.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Keep in mind that the choke is actually an enrichener that does nothing when it reaches a certain RPM. It will not make any difference at speed but lowspeed it will cause the kind of problem you are having.

I once forgot to turn off the choke and when I got in traffic it blubbered and ran like crap. I didn't realize what I had done until I got to work.

You must turn off the choke after the bike warms up or it will run like crap at idle or low speed and keep dying because it is running too rich.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Paul wkd
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Paul wkd »

I have just downloaded a shop manual ,
Gonna spend some time going through the electrics checking all the connections and test the battery .

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Paul wkd wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:28 am
I have just downloaded a shop manual ,Gonna spend some time going through the electrics checking all the connections and test the battery .
A Wise move.

I've learned from my Grandpa,.. " know how it works first, before fixing it".

Today is Thursday, and we await what you find checking out the Battery Situation. :ShitGrinandThumb:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Designer wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:42 am
Paul wkd wrote:
I have just downloaded a shop manual ,Gonna spend some time going through the electrics checking all the connections and test the battery .
A Wise move.

I've learned from my Grandpa,.. " know how it works first, before fixing it".

Today is Thursday, and we await what you find checking out the Battery Situation. :ShitGrinandThumb:
So true, principals of operation are the most important information.

When I was young information was really hard to come by so most of my learning curve was taken up but taking it apart to figure out how it worked. Sometime it even worked when I got it back together, usually not the first time but by 3rd or 4th.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Paul wkd wrote:
I have just downloaded a shop manual ,
Gonna spend some time going through the electrics checking all the connections and test the battery .
The charging system on these bikes is pretty simple. You have an AC generator (permanent magnet "stator") on the LHS of the crankshaft. This produces AC voltage in 3 wires which go to the regulator / rectifier and gets converted to DC voltage and governed between 13.5 and 14.5V (approx). That DC charge goes into the wiring loom and battery to maintain the system.

Since you have the bike running the easiest test is a simple voltage test at the battery terminals. You should see around 13V at idle but when the bike is revved it should be around 14.5V. If you do not see any increase and/or the voltage is below 12.5V then the system has issues. From there you check the wiring....test the stator....test the RR....load test the battery. Test procedures are in the manual.

Paul wkd
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Paul wkd »

So preliminary findings,
Battery seems ok at idle and while revving , sirs around 14.3 when being revved
I just tested the coils both read 4.1 and 4.2 but the secondary coils the rear was 20.6 the front jumped around from 15.6 to 18.94 ,
Going to check the manual now to see if it’s still in tolerance .
Appreciate all the advice .
Thx

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Paul wkd wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:11 am
So preliminary findings,
Battery seems ok at idle and while revving , sirs around 14.3 when being revved
I just tested the coils both read 4.1 and 4.2 but the secondary coils the rear was 20.6 the front jumped around from 15.6 to 18.94 ,
Going to check the manual now to see if it’s still in tolerance .Appreciate all the advice .Thx
You are welcome. Thanks for getting back to us.

I assume you checked the Battery Connection Terminals/( both on battery and Wire) for cleanliness and tightness. Those Coils Test numbers are within spec ( Primary 1-7 ohms, Secondary 10 -25 ohms) Did you get a chance to check the Pick-up Coil? To save you time, the Spec on that is 240 ohms + or- 20% Blue-Green and Black-Yellow.

Paul wkd
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Paul wkd »

I’m gonna check the battery tomorrow, I used the connection for the trickle charger to connect the volt meter

Paul wkd
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Paul wkd »

I will also need to check the pick up coil

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Paul wkd wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:32 am
I’m gonna check the battery tomorrow, I used the connection for the trickle charger to connect the volt meter
Unless you can do a good load test yourself it is best to take the battery to an auto parts store and have it load tested.

Also, this is not a Harley and your RPMs should be set higher at idle. Some guys try to make the Intruder sound more Harley ish by lowering the idle and this doesn't really work.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

sgtcall wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:47 am
Paul wkd wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:32 am
Unless you can do a good load test yourself it is best to take the battery to an auto parts store and have it load tested.

Also, this is not a Harley and your RPMs should be set higher at idle. Some guys try to make the Intruder sound more Harley ish by lowering the idle and this doesn't really work.
Spot on Sgt Call. The lower idle setting makes for less Charging and also reduces Cooling.