A/F needle, spring, o-ring, washer order

STRICTLY Motorcycle Talk allowed here. ALL others get deleted!!!!
DanIII
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2005 suzuki s83

A/F needle, spring, o-ring, washer order

Post by DanIII »

When I took my carbs apart the A/F needle and spring were in place, but there was no o-ring or washer.
One am I missing some parts?
Two if I am is it the o-ring and washer?
Lastly what order are they put in the carb?
I hope this makes sense.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: A/F needle, spring, o-ring, washer order

Post by hillsy »

Spring first.... Then washer.... Then o ring...

DanIII
Tricycles are Cool

Post by DanIII »

Thanks.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Sometimes the washer and 0ring get stuck in the carb. before installing new make sure you have the old parts out.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

DanIII
Tricycles are Cool

Post by DanIII »

I removed the needle and spring, but there was nothing else in the cavity. I only knew to ask about the o-ring and washer from reading other posts on the site.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

:blink:
DanIII wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:54 pm
I removed the needle and spring, but there was nothing else in the cavity. I only knew to ask about the o-ring and washer from reading other posts on the site.
Are you sure they are not there? Really hard to see if the washer is hiding the o ring. I use a pick shaped into a hook which I made out of a straightened out spring from a ball point pen to fish them out.

Cuban
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Intruder

Post by Cuban »

DanIII wrote:
hillsy wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:05 am
Are you sure they are not there? Really hard to see if the washer is hiding the o ring. I use a pick shaped into a hook which I made out of a straightened out spring from a ball point pen to fish them out.

:shock: WHAT!!? That's so dangerous! You could totally fuck up the delicate threads in the carb body! The better solution is to remove the carb from the bike, place it (on it's side) on a solid metal workbench, or similar surface, and whack it hard with a large ball peen hammer. The stuck O Ring will fall out of the recess very easily. You'll find it amongst the assorted bits of cast metal and brass scattered around on the bench. Pick the O Ring up, inspect it for wear, then hold it high and declare loudly, " Ha! Got ya, you little bastard!". Then go pour yourself a cold one, in recognition of a job well done! :cheers:

*Disclaimer: I am SO full of shit.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Cuban wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:54 am
DanIII wrote:
hillsy wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:05 am

:shock: WHAT!!? That's so dangerous! You could totally fuck up the delicate threads in the carb body! The better solution is to remove the carb from the bike, place it (on it's side) on a solid metal workbench, or similar surface, and whack it hard with a large ball peen hammer. The stuck O Ring will fall out of the recess very easily. You'll find it amongst the assorted bits of cast metal and brass scattered around on the bench. Pick the O Ring up, inspect it for wear, then hold it high and declare loudly, " Ha! Got ya, you little bastard!". Then go pour yourself a cold one, in recognition of a job well done! :cheers:

*Disclaimer: I am SO full of shit.
You forgot to say that after the cold one you will have to go buy a new carb...
:Cool:
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

DanIII
Tricycles are Cool

Post by DanIII »

I just got this bike used (2005 S83). The previous owner(s) had attempted some type of uncorking. While doing this they screwed up a number of things including the A/F needles. Someone had actually tried to seal/lock one of the needles in place using what appeared to be silicone sealant. I cleaned everything out but was missing the washers and o-rings. The carbs themselves were removed, torn down and cleaned. Could not find a diagram showing the A/F needle configuration, so I asked.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

DanIII wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:16 pm
I just got this bike used (2005 S83). The previous owner(s) had attempted some type of uncorking. While doing this they screwed up a number of things including the A/F needles. Someone had actually tried to seal/lock one of the needles in place using what appeared to be silicone sealant. I cleaned everything out but was missing the washers and o-rings. The carbs themselves were removed, torn down and cleaned. Could not find a diagram showing the A/F needle configuration, so I asked.
That is what we are here for. Although sometimes we don't have the whole story and ask questions, make comments, that you already have the answer for.

Oh, and sometimes you will get smart asses trying to be funny, sometimes they are, sometimes its a fail. However, we do want to assist in any way we can.

If you go to the tech section there is a specific forum for the 1400. Pinned at the top of the forum there is a downloadable electronic copy of the manual. I don't remember how specific the carb section is but it does have stock jet sizes for comparison.

DanIII
Tricycles are Cool

Post by DanIII »

Not new to forums, was even a member of the old INTRUDERS ALERT forum roughly 20 yrs ago. I have already downloaded the VS1400 manual from the link here. The manual is great but does show a diagram or picture of the A/F needle, nether does the dealer's diagrams of the carbs. I had a 92 vs1400 in the late 90's and then a LC1500 in the early 2000's.