Intruder 800/having some problems

STRICTLY Motorcycle Talk allowed here. ALL others get deleted!!!!
Quentin710
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1994 Suzuki intruder gs800vl

Re: Intruder 800/having some problems

Post by Quentin710 »

sgtcall wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:13 pm
Quentin710 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:04 pm
sgtcall wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:58 pm
The Motobatt is your best option but whatever battery you get make sure to check two things. It will fit into the battery box and the terminals take bolts from the side or if you have to from the top, not the front.

I had good results with a scorpion battery that lasted for 6 years.
https://www.scorpionbattery.com/powersp ... -bs-1.html
Heck yea man thanks! I went to my local Napa auto parts and picked me up a 12v 220 cca battery put the carbs back in today omfg neverrrrr againnnnn I swearrrr that sucked so bad. Plus it’s like 2000 degrees here in Kansas so my hot ass shop wasent fun either. Put the new battery in didn’t start. Was bummed I was like ok so hast to be the starter or a solenoid. Gave it a few more cranks. Pushed the bike forward while sitting on it and it fired up.
Kinda seems like mabe the starter is going out as well ?
Or your kick stand was down and the bike was in gear, or the kill switch was flipped or the clutch was not pulled in.

Before you dig into the starter make sure, 1. the kick stand safety is clean and tight 2. the clutch safety is clean and tight 3. the negative cable from the battery to the ground point is clean and tight where it grounds.

Always start with he simple stuff and work your way up to the hard stuff.

Did you put star washers on your new battery? If not you will find out why you should. :jester: :lmao:

Hey also man could u explain to me where the thermostat switch is my bike runs really hot and I don’t understand why? I can never tell if the fan is kicking on or not when I ride it and also. I checked the radiator fluid and it’s full and green I’ve read that a stuck thermo switch can cause the fluid to get stuck and not flow.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Quentin710 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:26 pm

Hey also man could u explain to me where the thermostat switch is my bike runs really hot and I don’t understand why? I can never tell if the fan is kicking on or not when I ride it and also. I checked the radiator fluid and it’s full and green I’ve read that a stuck thermo switch can cause the fluid to get stuck and not flow.
That is a question for Navigator.

Check here. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14547&p=229964&hil ... at#p229964
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Pretty sure the fan switch is on the back of the radiator (#30)

And thermostat is in the water pump housing (#15):

Quentin710
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1994 Suzuki intruder gs800vl

Post by Quentin710 »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:04 pm
Pretty sure the fan switch is on the back of the radiator (#30)

And thermostat is in the water pump housing (#15):

Thanks mate I’ll look tomorrow

jfaith15
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2003 Suzuki Intruder VS800

Post by jfaith15 »

Quentin710 wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:46 pm
Herb wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:49 am
Quentin710 wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:35 am

I just thought about something also It’s weird I would think im it was bad rich then the air filters would be wet and have some gas in them but they don’t.
The extra gas is coming into the system after the air filters.
So In the float ? I changed the oil today bf I took it for a spin I read something that said 10w30 would be ok to use for a wet clutch luckily when I got it running again I only went around the block and I only put a qt of it in there just to see if mabe the old oil was doing something to the motor. And I could feel the clutch slipping in between 1st and 2nd so luckily I didn’t ride it around with that oil in there went and got 3 qt of somr mobile one 10w40 sae full synthetic motorcycle racing oil and changed the filter as well and luckily clutch is just fine now. But anyway I noticed when after I changed the oil oh and I also got radiator coolant but noticed when I looked in it it was full and look fine so I didn’t end up changing it idk what to do about the bike running so hot either I can’t tell if the fan kicks on or not and aren’t these bikes also water cooled? So after I changed the oil fired it up felt both exhaust and the right one was running hot and left cool what would that be from and I noticed bf when I did that it was the opposite and usually one cylinder is way hotter than the other ??
maybe try changing the coolant? my bike was left sitting in a garage for a few years and i think the coolant went bad. nonetheless, it was full when i checked it, but looked and smelled gross when i drained it. before changing the coolant, the engine temp light was on and it smoked a bit from the engine and the idling sound was really high - no smoke and sounded fine after changing it.
I put my faith in Youtube and strangers on the internet to solve my problems.