Intruder 800/having some problems

STRICTLY Motorcycle Talk allowed here. ALL others get deleted!!!!
Quentin710
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1994 Suzuki intruder gs800vl

Intruder 800/having some problems

Post by Quentin710 »

High y’all first post here I need some help.

I’ve got a 1994 Suzuki intruder vs800 was fucking around on it touched some wires on the starter moved my handle bars and also I know this is gonna sound dumb but I was trying to figure out if there was some sort of block in my throttle cable on the carb or if it was getting snagged some how. So I started the bike manually opened the carbs and gave it some gas. Idk why I thought this would solve anything.

So I shut the bike off flipped it back on and nothing I mean like it cranks any everything but just no start. So with some digging and a lot of hard work I think I’ve got it narrowed down to a couple things. I do have spark and I do have fuel and I do have ignition. And compression the bike seems like it wants to start but it’s almost like being choked or something. So I pulled the front carb off. First time cleaning the carbs I’ve only owned the bike for a month and watched tons and researched tons so I felt confident it was way easier then I thought and pretty simple anyway. I pulled the carb disassembled it and to my surprise absolutely clean as a whistle. I mean like not perfect but nothing wrong with it that would be gumming it up. Except I noticed the needle was all the way in the float like I mean even with it raised all the way up the needle dosent show.

So I stripped the screws like a dumbass figured well fuck I was pissed cleaned it and threw it back in the bike. Looked at the other needle in the other carb while in the bike and same thing with this carb I haven’t taken it out yet and cleaned and shit but could it be possible that so much fuel is causing my engine to not crank?

My uncle came over and helped me earlier last night I checked spark again and checked it on the side of the cylinder bunch of gas flew out of the cylinder not a shit ton but enough to catch my eye and the plugs where wet and reeked of gasoline.

Kept starting it and finally the bike was coming back to life it haven’t fully came back but it was trying to start black smoke came out of one of the cylinders exhaust. I was getting worried for a second and plus it’s really shitty bc I just got my motorcycle license today and I could t even fucking ride!!!!!!!!

So is it safe to say that my carbs are just overflowing with gas and getting to the engine? And I need to replace my needle and mess with the jets and pilots? Also when I was troubleshooting over my bike for the past 10 hours today when I was checking the fuse box I noticed that they had put a 30 amp fuse in where the “power source” fuse is and it calls for a 10. Is it also a possibility that that huge fuse might have been over powering the fuel pump ?

Battery went dead tonight trying to start Just when it was just starting to fire up and try to get going again. Really upset abt it tbh with y’all bc when it stopped working it was 2 days ago yesterday I figured it was just a low battery and so I hooked it up to a charger threw it back on the bike after I got home from the dmv with my brand new m endorsement ready to hit the streets for my first legal ride and my bike dosent turn over spent from 12 am yesterday morning to 10 o’clock last night troubleshooting and trying to figure out wtf did I do to my bike. But I think I’ve got it narrowed down to either too much gas and or not enough spark. Put it back on the charger last night after it started to fire and rumble so hopefully when I wake up today and put it back on I’ll get to enjoy my first ride.

If u guys might know of any tips or tricks on carbs to help me fix the over flowing of gas or could mabe explain to me a little better about how to adjust my pilot jets and jets to lean my bike out so I’m not dumping fuel last thing I want to happen is I fill my cylinders with fuel and it destroys my engine.

Sorry for the long ass msg just been a long ass day trying to get this thing going so I can finally ride.

Thank u tons, Quentin

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Re: Intruder 800/having some problems

Post by FallenAngel »

Quentin710 wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:00 am

I’ve got a 1994 Suzuki intruder vs800 was fucking around on it touched some wires on the starter moved my handle bars and also I know this is gonna sound dumb but I was trying to figure out if there was some sort of block in my throttle cable on the carb or if it was getting snagged some how. So I started the bike manually opened the carbs and gave it some gas. Idk why I thought this would solve anything.

So I shut the bike off flipped it back on and nothing I mean like it cranks any everything but just no start. So with some digging and a lot of hard work I think I’ve got it narrowed down to a couple things. I do have spark and I do have fuel and I do have ignition. And compression the bike seems like it wants to start but it’s almost like being choked or something. So I pulled the front carb off. First time cleaning the carbs I’ve only owned the bike for a month and watched tons and researched tons so I felt confident it was way easier then I thought and pretty simple anyway. I pulled the carb disassembled it and to my surprise absolutely clean as a whistle. I mean like not perfect but nothing wrong with it that would be gumming it up. Except I noticed the needle was all the way in the float like I mean even with it raised all the way up the needle dosent show.

So I stripped the screws like a dumbass figured well fuck I was pissed cleaned it and threw it back in the bike. Looked at the other needle in the other carb while in the bike and same thing with this carb I haven’t taken it out yet and cleaned and shit but could it be possible that so much fuel is causing my engine to not crank?

My uncle came over and helped me earlier last night I checked spark again and checked it on the side of the cylinder bunch of gas flew out of the cylinder not a shit ton but enough to catch my eye and the plugs where wet and reeked of gasoline.

Kept starting it and finally the bike was coming back to life it haven’t fully came back but it was trying to start black smoke came out of one of the cylinders exhaust. I was getting worried for a second and plus it’s really shitty bc I just got my motorcycle license today and I could t even fucking ride!!!!!!!!

So is it safe to say that my carbs are just overflowing with gas and getting to the engine? And I need to replace my needle and mess with the jets and pilots? Also when I was troubleshooting over my bike for the past 10 hours today when I was checking the fuse box I noticed that they had put a 30 amp fuse in where the “power source” fuse is and it calls for a 10. Is it also a possibility that that huge fuse might have been over powering the fuel pump ?

Battery went dead tonight trying to start Just when it was just starting to fire up and try to get going again. Really upset abt it tbh with y’all bc when it stopped working it was 2 days ago yesterday I figured it was just a low battery and so I hooked it up to a charger threw it back on the bike after I got home from the dmv with my brand new m endorsement ready to hit the streets for my first legal ride and my bike dosent turn over spent from 12 am yesterday morning to 10 o’clock last night troubleshooting and trying to figure out wtf did I do to my bike. But I think I’ve got it narrowed down to either too much gas and or not enough spark. Put it back on the charger last night after it started to fire and rumble so hopefully when I wake up today and put it back on I’ll get to enjoy my first ride.

If u guys might know of any tips or tricks on carbs to help me fix the over flowing of gas or could mabe explain to me a little better about how to adjust my pilot jets and jets to lean my bike out so I’m not dumping fuel last thing I want to happen is I fill my cylinders with fuel and it destroys my engine.

Sorry for the long ass msg just been a long ass day trying to get this thing going so I can finally ride.

Thank u tons, Quentin
Buddy You picked the wrong set up to learn on But when you get you will have some useful knowledge on this configuration
num 1
" Except I noticed the needle was all the way in the float like I mean even with it raised all the way up the needle dosent show."
If your referring to the the needle connected to the black cylinder with the diaphragm
It dosnt move with out vacuum
num2
" bunch of gas flew out of the cylinder"
If you smell raw fuel then your rich cleaning the plugs will often get it running and if it starts it may produce some black smoke
Black is fuel
Blue is oil
If you can see raw there is more fuel then the engine can ignite
If the cylinder that is showing signs of raw fuel the same cylinder you pulled the carb off of??
If so then you may have the float in the wrong position

Also you will need to synchronize your carbs as you disrupted the adjustment
when you removed the carb
Intruder carb sync video

Home made carb sync tool/Manometer

These are for a 4 cylinder engine
you will only need 2 lines 1 for each carb
Here is a thread that shows in better detail
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4139&p=192595&hili ... ng#p192595

The carb configuration on these bikes is an Acilys heal but ounce you get past the set up and sync I think you will be very happy with your bike
Check your float level on the carb you removed im pretty sure thats where the raw fuel is coming from
( I stole this from one of SgtCalls post's
NTRUDER MANUALS AND INFORMATION
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14168

I wish you the best of luck and keep us posted

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Welcome!
Here are a couple of things to check out.

POSTING PICTURES ON INTRUDERS ALERT
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13992

INTRUDER MANUALS AND INFORMATION

To add to what Fallen Angel said, take your battery to a auto parts store and have them load test it. Intruders have to have a good battery to start so if you don't know that the battery is good running down the rest will be impossible.

Here is a good thread to read through from someone that went through may of the same issues. viewtopic.php?f=47&t=14023&hilit=my+resurrection+thread

Hagar has plenty of good videos on Intruders. Make him a go to for good information. Hagar Moto - Intruder Viking
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Quentin710
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Quentin710 »

FallenAngel wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:20 am
Quentin710 wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:00 am

Thank u tons, Quentin
Buddy You picked the wrong set up to learn on But when you get you will have some useful knowledge on this configuration
num 1
" Except I noticed the needle was all the way in the float like I mean even with it raised all the way up the needle dosent show."
If your referring to the the needle connected to the black cylinder with the diaphragm
It dosnt move with out vacuum
num2
" bunch of gas flew out of the cylinder"
If you smell raw fuel then your rich cleaning the plugs will often get it running and if it starts it may produce some black smoke
Black is fuel
Blue is oil
If you can see raw there is more fuel then the engine can ignite
If the cylinder that is showing signs of raw fuel the same cylinder you pulled the carb off of??
If so then you may have the float in the wrong position

Also you will need to synchronize your carbs as you disrupted the adjustment
when you removed the carb
Intruder carb sync video

Home made carb sync tool/Manometer

These are for a 4 cylinder engine
you will only need 2 lines 1 for each carb

The carb configuration on these bikes is an Acilys heal but ounce you get past the set up and sync I think you will be very happy with your bike
Check your float level on the carb you removed im pretty sure thats where the raw fuel is coming from
( I stole this from one of SgtCalls post's
NTRUDER MANUALS AND INFORMATION

I wish you the best of luck and keep us posted

Hey man so I got the bike to start me and my uncle did. Just looked at these so I took plugs out fired engine then wiped off plugs put back in and got it running! Took it for a quick spin noticed power is loseing. And also I didn’t know these floats were adjustable?

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Quentin710 wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:02 pm

Hey man so I got the bike to start me and my uncle did. Just looked at these so I took plugs out fired engine then wiped off plugs put back in and got it running! Took it for a quick spin noticed power is loseing. And also I didn’t know these floats were adjustable?
You adjust them by bending the tab that presses against the needle
Loss of power may be the carbs are out of sync
Dirty Air filters can cause a rich condition and poor mileage

Read this thread for a complete understanding of your carbs

Is it still smoking and does the exhaust smell rich?

Quentin710
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Quentin710 »

:Umm:

Quentin710
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Quentin710 »

FallenAngel wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:15 am
Quentin710 wrote:

Hey also when I took the carb apart I took the main jet cover off and ran a wire brush thru the jets not a “wire brush” but like a soft version just looks like one. Anyway I didn’t take them out just the cover for the main jet does it matter how they go back on like turns wise ? I hope not bc I didn’t pay attention to that.

Quentin710
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Quentin710 »

FallenAngel wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:15 am
Quentin710 wrote:

Ok thanks for that I didn’t know about the bending of that clip thanks!

And yea man it’s really out of sync im gonna try to manually sync them with the sync cable on the front carb sense that’s the one that I took off and I definitely messed with the throttle cable on the front carb and also that little nut on the top of the carb like the part that screws into the lever that the sync cable goes into I messed with that I read that u shouldn’t mess with that so that’s great!! Lol

Yea man it’s running really rich I mean just standing next to the bike u can smell gas if I can’t get it figured out by myself in the next couple of days im gonna have one of my moms friend come over and help my sync them sense I don’t have the tool.

I just thought about something also It’s weird I would think im it was bad rich then the air filters would be wet and have some gas in them but they don’t. Also on the first post I made here when I said the needle won’t open or is stuck.

I meant like that long needle that’s adjustable on the diaphragm with the skirt is is supposed to be all the way into the float? Like even when I manually push the diaphragm up in the carb?

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

That needle only moves with vacuum
(If were talking about the same needle)
The last video I posted shows how to adjust the air fuel mixture

Also Manually syncing the carbs will be really tough to do because there synced by cable. These carbs arnt like the inline carbs that you can get close with a peace of wire

These are defiantly not the carb configuration for the novice. But if you follow the directions in the videos you will build the confidence and knowledge to work on almost any multiple carburetor systems on anything.
And Its alot less frustrating

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Quentin710 wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:35 am

I just thought about something also It’s weird I would think im it was bad rich then the air filters would be wet and have some gas in them but they don’t.
The extra gas is coming into the system after the air filters.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Quentin710
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Quentin710 »

Herb wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:49 am
Quentin710 wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:35 am

I just thought about something also It’s weird I would think im it was bad rich then the air filters would be wet and have some gas in them but they don’t.
The extra gas is coming into the system after the air filters.
So In the float ? I changed the oil today bf I took it for a spin I read something that said 10w30 would be ok to use for a wet clutch luckily when I got it running again I only went around the block and I only put a qt of it in there just to see if mabe the old oil was doing something to the motor. And I could feel the clutch slipping in between 1st and 2nd so luckily I didn’t ride it around with that oil in there went and got 3 qt of somr mobile one 10w40 sae full synthetic motorcycle racing oil and changed the filter as well and luckily clutch is just fine now. But anyway I noticed when after I changed the oil oh and I also got radiator coolant but noticed when I looked in it it was full and look fine so I didn’t end up changing it idk what to do about the bike running so hot either I can’t tell if the fan kicks on or not and aren’t these bikes also water cooled? So after I changed the oil fired it up felt both exhaust and the right one was running hot and left cool what would that be from and I noticed bf when I did that it was the opposite and usually one cylinder is way hotter than the other ??

Quentin710
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Quentin710 »

FallenAngel wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:58 am
That needle only moves with vacuum
(If were talking about the same needle)
The last video I posted shows how to adjust the air fuel mixture

Also Manually syncing the carbs will be really tough to do because there synced by cable. These carbs arnt like the inline carbs that you can get close with a peace of wire

These are defiantly not the carb configuration for the novice. But if you follow the directions in the videos you will build the confidence and knowledge to work on almost any multiple carburetor systems on anything.
And Its alot less frustrating
Yea man that’s what I’m talking about so even with me manually moving the slide up and down the needle should still be in the hole? I figured it’s suppose to come out of there when u move it up like when it gets vacuum and pulls it up I would’ve thought that that needle would come out of the hole that it sets in ?

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Don't waste your money on synthetic oil for the Intruders, they run best on dino oil, just get one made for motorcycles.

Also don't waste money on high grade gas, Intruders are designed to run best on 87 octane.

Spend the money you save on Seafoam and put a few ounces in the tank once a month or so.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

According to the book at temps under 100deg F 10W30 is fine.

As for one side running cooler than the other, if the sync is off then one cylinder is doing all of the work and will be hotter than the other.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Start with the air/fuel mixture screw's first (watch the videos)
Dont worry so much about the needle valve if your bike is running
As long as you dont have fuel filling up your crank case and air box I wouldn't be concerned about the float level unless ithe cylinder seems to run lean after long throttle pulls

Shell rotila oil is an inexpensive alternative to the more expensive wet clutch designated oils from the dealer

Quentin710
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Quentin710 »

FallenAngel wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:39 pm
Start with the air/fuel mixture screw's first (watch the videos)
Dont worry so much about the needle valve if your bike is running
As long as you dont have fuel filling up your crank case and air box I wouldn't be concerned about the float level unless ithe cylinder seems to run lean after long throttle pulls

Shell rotila oil is an inexpensive alternative to the more expensive wet clutch designated oils from the dealer
Well I’ve been wanting to turn the on on the no2 carb but the screw is just so stuck and I don’t really want to drill into it

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Quentin710 wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:24 am

Well I’ve been wanting to turn the on on the no2 carb but the screw is just so stuck and I don’t really want to drill into it
The plug????

Quentin710
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Quentin710 »

FallenAngel wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:15 pm
Quentin710 wrote:

The plug????
No sorry I meant the fuel to air screw

Also went to ride the bike today not starting again this is so frustrating main I just want to ride my bike.
It acted like it was going to fire up then it just didn’t. And won’t. Idk what to do.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Quentin710 wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:38 pm
FallenAngel wrote:
Quentin710 wrote:

The plug????

Also went to ride the bike today not starting again this is so frustrating main I just want to ride my bike.
It acted like it was going to fire up then it just didn’t. And won’t. Idk what to do.
Did you have the battery load tested yet?

Quentin710
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Quentin710 »

sgtcall wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:51 pm
Quentin710 wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:38 pm
FallenAngel wrote:
Quentin710 wrote:

The plug????
No I haven’t I don’t think it hast to do with the battery but I could be wrong.

Did you have the battery load tested yet?