Intruder 800/having some problems

STRICTLY Motorcycle Talk allowed here. ALL others get deleted!!!!
FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Re: Intruder 800/having some problems

Post by FallenAngel »

Quentin710 wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:16 pm
No sorry I meant the fuel to air screw
The??
you will have 2 Air Fuel mixture screws 1 on each carb
Are you referring to the Idle adjustment thumb screw??

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

FallenAngel wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:25 pm
Quentin710 wrote:
The??
If his caps have never been drilled out he won't be able to see the AF screws.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Quentin710
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1994 Suzuki intruder gs800vl

Post by Quentin710 »

sgtcall wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:02 pm
FallenAngel wrote:
Quentin710 wrote:
The??
Ok so I have taken out both of my carbs tonight. Both screws on the rear carb are drilled out I’m pretty sure. I do have a question tho so go on a vs800 manual and on the rear carb the number 12 screw on the manual is says it’s a balance screw. Should it look just like the number 17 screw? That’s a flat head ? Just beside the sync cable ? Bc my number 12 on the manual just has a regular screw in it. Wish I could figure out how to send pics rather then going to my pc so to send them.

Quentin710
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Quentin710 »

sgtcall wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:02 pm
FallenAngel wrote:
Quentin710 wrote:
The??
Also on the sync cable side that screw isn’t that a fuel/air mixture screw or is that an air/fuel. It’s on the engine side I’m pretty sure so it’s air right?

Quentin710
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Quentin710 »

FallenAngel wrote:
Quentin710 wrote:
The??
I’m also gonna go get my battery tested tomorrow so I can rule that out got it setting on the charger rn as I work on these carbs. Do u know how I could measure the float bowl height? Without the tool?

Quentin710
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Quentin710 »

Also hey y’all is it gonna hurt anything if I soak the carbs in hot water and dish soap?

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Quentin710 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:01 pm
Also hey y’all is it gonna hurt anything if I soak the carbs in hot water and dish soap?
Shouldnt hurt But it wont help much ether

Before you create more work for yourself You may want to diagnose the problem your having Or you may end up with a bike you wont be able to get running

These motorcycles have a finiky carboration system other the electrical they are the biggest problem
Check your Air Fuel mixture
Check your sync
Set your idle
Diagnostics is key to repairs
We can offer suggestions
You hae to let us know what you find with our suggestions
Quentin710 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:58 pm
Do u know how I could measure the float bowl height? Without the tool?
Is fuel seen leaking out of your carb when the fuel pump is running???
If not then your floats are fine

Quentin710
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Quentin710 »

FallenAngel wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:38 pm
Quentin710 wrote:

Before you create more work for yourself You may want to diagnose the problem your having Or you may end up with a bike you wont be able to get running

These motorcycles have a finiky carboration system other the electrical they are the biggest problem
Check your sync
Set your idle
We can offer suggestions
Quentin710 wrote:
Yea on both carbs where the floats are located I noticed some dripping from the rear carb and also on the front carb where the floats are not like leaking on the front but definitely gas on the bowls

Quentin710
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Quentin710 »

FallenAngel wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:38 pm
Quentin710 wrote:

Check your sync
Set your idle
We can offer suggestions
Quentin710 wrote:
And yea man I understand I’m just young and trying anything and everything looking over everything trying to diagnose and just look at everything who knows what it is I’m just frustrated and just want to ride it sense I just got my license it just dosent make sense to me the bike was running no perfect but every time I went to fire it up it fired up and then I moved it to my back yard then moved the handle bars and then honked the horn went to start it up and it just didn’t and then the other night like I was explaining me and my uncle were ducking with it wiped off the plugs and fired the engine a few times gas came out of the cylinders we put them back in and it started it wasent perfect but after it got going it was fine. Would a stuck choke on the rear carb cause a no start issue? I noticed the cable was a little stuck on the rear.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

AF screws:

Grow old disgracefully young man.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Quentin710
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Quentin710 »

I’m so sorry to waste y’all’s time I feel ashamed and stupid.

I was just jumping to conclusions and started going for the carbs and it running to rich and flooding the engine with gas while it mabe running to rich.

This should’ve been the first thing I did before anything else 😅 but I just got my battery checked.

No good. So hopefully it’s just the battery. I’m sorry to make a big rant like this guys I feel like a complete idiot bc that’s the first thing I should’ve done I just didn’t feel like that was it but turns out it is at least I’m hoping that is all it is.

Also I saw on the manual that it says 12v 16amp /10hr
Can I get a 12v 10hr battery? And it be enough?

Thank u guys for the help I learned something new lmao.

I was just so bummed and got ahead of myself and I was sure it wasent the battery turns out it is.

Thank u guys and sorry to waste ur time.

Much love -Q

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Hey dude, no worries. We all started out with little knowledge and had to learn the systems.

Believe me we have all gone through similar situations and felt like fools when we started out. That is the whole point in having this forum, those of us that have learned, either by trial and error or by the knowledge of others.

We are glad that you are posting the solution and don't be a stranger here.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Look up Motobatt for a vs800.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Quentin710 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:04 am
I’m so sorry to waste y’all’s time I feel ashamed and stupid.

I was just jumping to conclusions and started going for the carbs and it running to rich and flooding the engine with gas while it mabe running to rich.

This should’ve been the first thing I did before anything else 😅 but I just got my battery checked.

No good. So hopefully it’s just the battery. I’m sorry to make a big rant like this guys I feel like a complete idiot bc that’s the first thing I should’ve done I just didn’t feel like that was it but turns out it is at least I’m hoping that is all it is.

Also I saw on the manual that it says 12v 16amp /10hr
Can I get a 12v 10hr battery? And it be enough?

Thank u guys for the help I learned something new lmao.

I was just so bummed and got ahead of myself and I was sure it wasent the battery turns out it is.

Thank u guys and sorry to waste ur time.

Much love -Q
Lesson learned. When it comes to Intruders always start with the battery. If you don't have a good battery you will be chasing gremlins all week. A good battery should over 13v at rest.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

The Motobatt is your best option but whatever battery you get make sure to check two things. It will fit into the battery box and the terminals take bolts from the side or if you have to from the top, not the front.

I had good results with a scorpion battery that lasted for 6 years.
https://www.scorpionbattery.com/powersp ... -bs-1.html

Quentin710
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Quentin710 »

sgtcall wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:58 pm
The Motobatt is your best option but whatever battery you get make sure to check two things. It will fit into the battery box and the terminals take bolts from the side or if you have to from the top, not the front.

Heck yea man thanks! I went to my local Napa auto parts and picked me up a 12v 220 cca battery put the carbs back in today omfg neverrrrr againnnnn I swearrrr that sucked so bad. Plus it’s like 2000 degrees here in Kansas so my hot ass shop wasent fun either. Put the new battery in didn’t start. Was bummed I was like ok so hast to be the starter or a solenoid. Gave it a few more cranks. Pushed the bike forward while sitting on it and it fired up.
Kinda seems like mabe the starter is going out as well ?

Quentin710
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Quentin710 »

sgtcall wrote:

Plus I’m sure I did a bang up job putting the throttle cables back in and adjusting everything that’s something I’m gonna haft to have professional help with like one of my dad’s friends or something bc idk where to even start.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Quentin710 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:04 pm
sgtcall wrote:

Heck yea man thanks! I went to my local Napa auto parts and picked me up a 12v 220 cca battery put the carbs back in today omfg neverrrrr againnnnn I swearrrr that sucked so bad. Plus it’s like 2000 degrees here in Kansas so my hot ass shop wasent fun either. Put the new battery in didn’t start. Was bummed I was like ok so hast to be the starter or a solenoid. Gave it a few more cranks. Pushed the bike forward while sitting on it and it fired up.
Or your kick stand was down and the bike was in gear, or the kill switch was flipped or the clutch was not pulled in.

Before you dig into the starter make sure, 1. the kick stand safety is clean and tight 2. the clutch safety is clean and tight 3. the negative cable from the battery to the ground point is clean and tight where it grounds.

Always start with he simple stuff and work your way up to the hard stuff.

Did you put star washers on your new battery? If not you will find out why you should. :jester: :lmao:

Quentin710
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Quentin710 »

sgtcall wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:13 pm
Quentin710 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:04 pm
sgtcall wrote:

Or your kick stand was down and the bike was in gear, or the kill switch was flipped or the clutch was not pulled in.

Before you dig into the starter make sure, 1. the kick stand safety is clean and tight 2. the clutch safety is clean and tight 3. the negative cable from the battery to the ground point is clean and tight where it grounds.

Always start with he simple stuff and work your way up to the hard stuff.

Did you put star washers on your new battery? If not you will find out why you should. :jester: :lmao:
My kick stand and clutch safety deal is cut. And also on my new battery it did come with the circle little orange things u usually put on the positive and negative but it said that it’s not necessary if ur mounting them to the top and not the side of the battery. And is that why my bike got so hot?