Change of livery

STRICTLY Motorcycle Talk allowed here. ALL others get deleted!!!!
hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Change of livery

Post by hillsy v2 »

So another auction bike has been in my possession for a while....

Image Image

It's a 2005 VFR800. Not on any WOVR list so it should be an easy flip.
70K km on the clock - runs and rides pretty nice. VTEC kicks in nicely at around 7K and it's like a 2 stroke powerband...

As you can see it has minimal damage - but enough to be uneconomical to repair - torn seat, broken /scuffed fairings on RHS, bent brake lever and pedal....

The fairing panels are pretty much unobtainium second hand in this colour - new is well over $1K.....

BUT WAIT!!

We have a fix....

I will be digging into this one soon :ShitGrinandThumb:

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Re: Change of livery

Post by hillsy v2 »

So I stripped off all the old Tupperware...but it was still pretty dirty underneath...

I recently got a foam blaster attachment for my pressure cleaner

Which is rather satisfying to use

And the bike is a lot cleaner

I knew the tank had a knock from the fairing hitting it but a big chunk of paint and filler came away...

It looks like it might have had a repair done previously by the thickness of the filler - and some interesting non blue colours around the place...

Not to worry though - the body kit came with a tank cover so you won't see any of the original tank.

But I guess I'll know more about that when I get around to pulling off the tank...soon...ish :ShitGrinandThumb:

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

I got some wheel cleaner stuff for free to try - its not real cheap normally so I was curious how it would go...

Wheels and discs were pretty dirty

So the stuff turns purple when it's working...

And it works pretty damn well....

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

So things dont happen too fast in my shed - but here's some progress

The quality is pretty good - but it's the little things that do your head in - like every bolt hole or mount point is just slightly different. Which means offering up the panel then removing it to either adjust the hole or the mount on the frame. It's time consuming and frustrating....but it should look pretty good in the end.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Bit of a snag with the tank cover though - annoying orange peel near the filler cap :hellfire:

My buddy is going to try and sand that out but he's also going to see if they will send us another one. If not he's going to ask for a partial refund so either way it should be OK. He's a bit betterer at paint than I am.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Whilst waiting for news on the tank cover - and the bravado to fit the other panels - I cobbled up some shorty levers from my ever growing pile of levers - they fit in more with the racy livery....

Also recovered the seat - it's not 100% perfect but it's better than a torn one....

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

So this side was the side that had the crash damage - so I wasn't looking forward to trying to mount the new fairing because I knew all the mounts were slightly tweaked. Anyway - we got there eventually.....

But the really fucked part was the fact the paint lines in the panels don't actually line up :hellfire:

And the instrument cover panel they supplied doesn't fit either...

I do have the old instrument panel I can put back on and hopefully it lines up better....but I'm pretty close to setting this thing on fire right now.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

So it's done. There's a few imperfections still but I'd have to point them out to you before you would noticed them. I think it came up looking pretty good.....

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

It turned out great!
:bow:
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.