Right To Bear Arms - Can an ex-felon get it back??

Keep it civil
Prodigal_Sun
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 03 FXDWG

Re: Right To Bear Arms - Can an ex-felon get it back??

Post by Prodigal_Sun »

I'm a life-member of the NRA. I wrote them a while back, got no reply, other than automated flyers asking for more money to upgrade my membership. So no help there. They seem to be beating the "shall not be infringed for 'law abiding citizens'" drum pretty hard...
:evil: [emoji56]

I have a lot of opinions, some of them professional, some of them educated, most of them I just pulled out of my @$$

Some of my best stupidity is largely self-inflicted. :roll:

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

There is a loophole with regards to antique black powder, but I am real not familiar enough with the ins and outs. I would recommend consulting a legal expert before going that route also.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Tbeck wrote:There is a loophole with regards to antique black powder, but I am real not familiar enough with the ins and outs. I would recommend consulting a legal expert before going that route also.
Cap and ball not considered firearms for the purposes of classification...why I'm not sure. I know a couple of felons that make do with these.

Ever watch the crazy German slingshot guy on youtube? His whole schtick is making weapons that are pretty damn dangerous, but loophole around the strict German laws on firearm ownership/use. Pretty cool stuff.

He makes very simple things, like a autoloader crossbow, to more complex stuff like a compressed air pistol that uses a small very high pressure cylinder and fast electrical solenoids to fire it. Apparently there, the way the law is written they pigeon-holed a firearm as being something that uses a projectile fired THROUGH a barrel under pressure. As he points out, they said nothing about AROUND or OVER a barrel. [emoji2]

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Jeffco, you are probably correct in how the Fed see's black powder, but in PA it's still considered a long gun, and as such would require the background check.
Once the checks done in PA the application goes away (I believe 90 days) but still gets done.
Same is true with handguns in PA, but a copy is filled with the State PD. It's kinda back door gun list and been fought without success for decades.

So I'd still recommend checking with someone knowledgeable.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Tbeck wrote:
So I'd still recommend checking with someone knowledgeable.
Definitely...MO is very gun-friendly. I wouldn't count on anything gun-related to work as it does here.

VRH
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: VS1400GLP - VL1500 C90T

Post by VRH »

If you have a mind to read this, you will find that cap & ball are not considered a firearm. However, in the section that covers conceal carry and the definition is redefined to include anything that fires a projectile. So, in PA, a firearm is and is not always a firearm. Even the way firearm is defined, barrel length and ammunition availability comes into play.
http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/leg ... HTM&ttl=18

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

VRH, yep it's very tricky to navigate and I would darn sure want to be on firm legal ground.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Tbeck wrote:Bronx, here's a link with a contact at the end of the page.

http://www.pardonattorney.com/firearms-rights

I hope this helps
Update:
I don't think Mr. Morison reads his mail. I sent at message thru site and then a week later to his email and never got any replies. That was like the first and second week of Oct. I like messages because it's easier to go back over it and not miss or forget anything. I'll try sending a couple more messages out and see what happens.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

I will see if I can locate others.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Thanks brother. Much appreciated.

lonerider
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by lonerider »

Question: Why are there so many regulations concerning gun control when the right "...SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED?"

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

lonerider wrote:Question: Why are there so many regulations concerning gun control when the right "...SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED?"
You tell me....the founding fathers reckoned it would be the duty of every capable person to defend this country should the enemy ever come over here...and so all capable should be armed. That is the crux of the right and it still applies, of course some people wish to hunt, and most anyone may feel the need to have adequate defense of their home. I think it perfectly appropriate to suspend any right to an individual so long as it done with due process of law. But when the law has been satisfied and the individual is not a danger no ring around the rosey in the restoration of that right should be tolerated.

Prodigal_Sun
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Prodigal_Sun »

jonnycando wrote:
lonerider wrote:Question: Why are there so many regulations concerning gun control when the right "...SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED?"
You tell me....the founding fathers reckoned it would be the duty of every capable person to defend this country should the enemy ever come over here...and so all capable should be armed. That is the crux of the right and it still applies, of course some people wish to hunt, and most anyone may feel the need to have adequate defense of their home. I think it perfectly appropriate to suspend any right to an individual so long as it done with due process of law. But when the law has been satisfied and the individual is not a danger no ring around the rosey in the restoration of that right should be tolerated.
It isn't just to prevent a foreign invasion. It is equally to prevent a hostile government from subjugating the people. "A government should fear it's people". IMO the difficulty lies in determining who is and who is not a "danger" Some things look bad on paper, but in reality aren't. That does go both ways. To the Law, the preservation of the whole outweighs the individual. While tragic, it would rather wrongfully punish one harmless person than risk allowing one dangerous one loose. You start splitting hairs between what is "ethical" and what is "moral" at this point. They don't always align, with legalese typically falling into ethics, or what is right or wrong for the group, instead of personal morality. Again IMHO...

I won't get into the politics of fear and "straw men" :soapbox:

I have a lot of opinions, some of them professional, some of them educated, most of them I just pulled out of my @$$

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Actually the answer is simple, We The People condoned the taking of RIGHT'S via the courts.
The REAL question is do the Court's have the authority, and what is said authority to take a RIGHT protected by the Constitution?
I am unaware of ANY law that trumps the Constitution and amendments. Which in essence means that the courts are acting beyond their authority and scope.
The second is pretty solid in standing with regards to what it guarantees and nowhere does it say, "except when ordered by the court."
I don't imagine we have any takers for going to jail so as to appeal this practice to the SCOTUS?

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Maybe everyone should get armed and take to the streets. "We The People" on front of shirts.. Guns on back with "Shall Not Be Infringed". Wonder what would happen.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Tee shirt vendors would get rich? :lol:

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

It is my opinion that if a person once convicted of a crime and does all the courts ask then his rights, all his rights, should be given back to him/her. Once upon a time we gave men getting out of jail/prison their guns back and their horses if they didn't eat them. Sure the times were different then, but the guns weren't a necessity to living in society. If a person can't be trusted with a gun or shows that he/she can't be trusted with a gun then that person does not need to be out in society. Put the untrustworthy people away and no need to ban guns to law abiding people who have broken no laws. :soda: [space] :XmasTree: [space] :rag:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:It is my opinion that if a person once convicted of a crime and does all the courts ask then his rights, all his rights, should be given back to him/her. Once upon a time we gave men getting out of jail/prison their guns back and their horses if they didn't eat them. Sure the times were different then, but the guns weren't a necessity to living in society. If a person can't be trusted with a gun or shows that he/she can't be trusted with a gun then that person does not need to be out in society. Put the untrustworthy people away and no need to ban guns to law abiding people who have broken no laws. :soda: [space] :XmasTree: [space] :rag:
+1

I have been saying this for more years than I care to recall.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

What do you want to shoot--- or at.?

Prodigal_Sun
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Prodigal_Sun »

Trying to explain this to you is like trying to describe a color to a blind person. You don't get it. You don't have any frame of reference to even grasp the concept of it. And you are overly sensitive to the fact that other people can.