Bikes being considered

Keep it civil
tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VL1500 C90T + VS1400 Intruder

Bikes being considered

Post by tabasco »

When I retire in 2019, hopefully I'll still be well and riding. Starting to think about a retirement bike.

Maybe

Honda Goldwing
Kawasaki Concours 14
BMW 1600B

But, of course, I still love the C90T which is still fairly low mileage. Great bike to travel on (I think so, anyway).

Can NOT get myself to sell my VS1400. I don't ride it much, but when I do it's smiley time.

There' EPA stuff coming, that I believe Honda will not make the Wing for 2018, to prepare for that. So the new ones in '19 may be sluggish. That concerns me.

I've always only had cruisers. I'd like to try something else, but the C90 suits me to a T.

Who knows ... maybe I should start looking for a deal ... but I also want an affordable retirement camper, and who has time for this, not me, not yet, heh heh. The Goldwing makes so much sense for a retirement bike. Try and think of something you can't do with it. Handles like a dream, and you can bring stuff and the wife. Wait, maybe get the Connie, heh heh.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Re: Bikes being considered

Post by Tbeck »

Tom, I would drop each of those choices from your list, here's why.
The wings nice, I love them, owned 3, but they're heavy and don't get the greatest mpg.
The K16 is just too expensive and heavy to be practical. Valve adjustment alone is $800-1200 every 20k.
Both of the aforementioned bikes eat tires, 6-9k.
Now I love my Concours 14 but I have no intention or belief's that I am still gonna want to be riding it with it's more aggressive posture when I retire.

So if I was considering a good bike for retirement, I would likely lean towards the BMW R1200RT. Why? It weighs in around 550lbs, much less than my Concours. With the right tire choice you'll easily get 10-12k. Valve and other maintenance can be done easily and inexpensive, and it averages 50-52mpg which means 300 miles on a fill-up.
The seating is upright (no lean) and it has all the bells and whistles. I am sure Grant would agree with my assessment.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Try to demo all you can. Found I like smaller bikes lots more than my heavy ones at 71 [emoji2] The old bad body parts do not get better and light is just more fun IMO. :cheers: :putput:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

A wise man once said...
"Anything other than the LC is just settling.''

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Nav, I believe Tom has just been considering something a little different to get some excitement back in the ride.
Nothing wrong with the LC and what it does well.

Damumz
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 2017 Road Glide Ultra

Post by Damumz »

I bought a 2017 Road Glide Ultra as my retirement bike. I traded it in yesterday on a 2018 Street Bob and here's why....

Loved the Road Glide on the highway. ZZ Top blasting in your helmet speakers, cruise control set, feet up on the highway pegs life is perfect. Pushing it out of the garage, in or out of parking spots, maneuvering around parking lots.....let's just say my buddy Mr. Clint Eastwood is right, a man has to know his limitations. Plus the chances of me doing cross country runs ala Emu is slim to none.

Street Bob with a few adjustments and accessories is a much better fit for me. Actually having both would be nice but limited space and a wife who frowned upon that idea did that idea in.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Randy, I agree... I think you did a better job explaining the weight issue.

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club
My Bike: SUZUKI

Post by franktiregod »

Let me give you some advice, if you like the C90 and it fits you, stay with it.

I have the Intruder 1500. It fits me like a glove. I bought a C90 to add to the collection. I hated it. It never fit me. I spent some good $$ trying to make it fit me too.

But each time I went to the garage, I got on the Intruder and left the C90 sitting. Finally sold it because it didnt "fit". I have tried bikes of all kinds and just can not find one that fits like my Intruder.

I currently have the Intruder and a Kawasaki Nomad which I HATE. I try to keep two bikes. My Intruder has 100,000 miles and counting.

If you like your C90 and it fits, dance with the one that brung ya.

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Post by HARRIS »

A CONVERTIBLE HAS A VERY NICE RING TO IT TOO .... YUP !
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VL1500 C90T + VS1400 Intruder

Post by tabasco »

navigator wrote:A wise man once said...
"Anything other than the LC is just settling.''
You know it's funny ... If I needed a new bike, the ones are listed I'd be looking at first.
But, heh heh .. the C90 is a great touring bike. Still only 30k on it. I ain't jokin' when I say it's my favorite bike out there.
I say that "anything other that a (LC, C90) is just settling", because it's a humorous (I think) way to get the point across that I picked it, didn't settle, like most HD riders would assume I did.

Heh heh.

Your bike, the S50 .. never knew anyone who had one to say anything other that good about it.
Eugene put a big tank on his, and lived on it, the odometer rolling like a fan.

I certainly don't feel the need to get a different cruiser, although maybe someday. But Tim is right, I am attracted to something diff, something smooth, punchy ...

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Tom, that's where I was in 2011. I found riding was just a little stale. Nothing wrong with the HD's and Victory's I had been riding, but I wanted to get back to something more fun(?).
Oddly when I went back to the HD a year and few months ago, I didn't ride much. Picked up the Concours and I have been racking up miles.
I keep looking at adventure tour bike's, but I am thinking that the Conni will do until I retire again.