Dies a couple minutes after start.

panamaniac
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 1993 Intruder 800

Dies a couple minutes after start.

Post by panamaniac »

Hi all,

So my '93 intruder ran well for the past 2-3 years, but last summer/fall I used it a lot less, and by the time I was trying to ride again in the early winter there was a new problem—it would backfire at the end of a ride right after I turned it off. Then, a few months later, it started having a super loud idle all the time. Now, it's gotten worse—even with a battery fresh off the tender, it's pretty difficult to get it to start, and once its started the idle sounds fairly normal/not super loud. But unless I wait while it idles and get lucky and it gets super loud, I can't even get it into gear. So basically I can wait til it's super loud, then get it into gear and ride it around for a couple minutes, but after about 2 minutes of riding as quick as I can, I'll slow down for some reason and the idle will drop, then it'll die, then I won't be able to restart it no matter what, then I'll walk it home.

A note on choke. I can usually only get it started with choke on, and this is esp. true when colder and has also been true recently. But I wonder if maybe the choke cable is stuck—I think I recall last fall it sometimes sounding when I was riding as if the choke cable was still pulled out even if I'd already pushed it in. Can't remember, though.

Also, if I manage to get it started and just let it sit idling, it'll basically always die after a couple of minutes, then it'll be a little difficult to get started again.

Any ideas? I'm thinking something gunked it up. I've run a fair amount of seafoam through it. At this point the gas is probably fairly old but I think I added stabil to that tank. I'm hoping the normal+super loud idle issue is a big clue. Otherwise what would my first steps be given the situation? Look at the carbs, probably?

Thanks!

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: Dies a couple minutes after start.

Post by Lechy »

Check the fuel pump for operation. Then check the fuel lines for kinks or pinching. If the fuel lines are old they may be deteriorating on the inside. If the fuel lines are bad you may need to remove the carbs and clean out the small screen above the float valve.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

panamaniac
Studying MC Handbook

Post by panamaniac »

I replaced at least some of the fuel lines myself a couple years ago. Of course since I did it myself that makes it just as likely that there's something wrong there as that it's something else :lmao:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Exactly how old is your fuel? Fuel nowadays goes off pretty quick (couple of months or less) so first thing is to change that.

Then check your fuel pump like Lechy said - you should be able to hear it ticking over, but if you cant hear it over the motor then you should be able to feel it pulsing if you put your hand / finger on it.

If it doesn't run properly after you check that then you probably need to clean the carbs.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

You may also be looking at a vacuum leak your problem does sound like an inconsistency of fuel delivery.
I think the if the 93 is like my 95 it uses an electronic sender that adjust ignition curve from information sent by intake vacuum from the forward carb. If your bike back fired it is possible that the vacuum line to this sender was forced off. Ether from the carb or the sender

Your inconsistent idle hard starting and engine dying are symptoms of a vacuum leak. I would also consider at the least flushing your tank of old fuel and if your bike does not improve pulling your carbs and cleaning them.
Also if the bike had the carbs sinked the shop my have left the vent on the carb a backfire could have poped a vacuum plug of of these vents
I hope this helps

Edit:
Both of my Intruders are 1400's I don't know if the 800s used the vacuum spark advance sooo I could be mistaken. But I would consider looking for a vacuum leak just the same

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

800's don't have vac advance.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Thank you Lechy I didn't know for sure

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Just out of curiosity, have you checked for a vacuum leak? This would cause hard starting, high (loud) idle, and stalling.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

panamaniac
Studying MC Handbook

Sounds great today!

Post by panamaniac »

Well so today I tried again. This time I added a few ounces of Sea Foam (which I've added before) and opened up the gas cap.

Not sure if either of those made the difference, and it still took a few minutes, but once I got it started it stayed loud the whole time—never did that thing where it goes quiet (Which basically then means it's going to die in a minute and I won't be able to restart it). It stayed alive both with and without choke, and I was able to ride it a few miles! Felt just like it did a year+ ago.

Going to hop on it again now to go get some new gas in it, which should only help further. Will post if anything amiss happens.

Crossing my fingers that I could have been so lucky, lol.