Spark Plugs

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Spark Plugs

Post by JamesC »

My rear cylinder wasn't firing properly on my 03 140 Intruder. I pulled the plug and not only was it black with soot, it was very loose. I have found that it is very difficult to install the plugs with a standard deep 18mm socket. Luckily, I had the original tool pouch from the last intruder I owned. It has a spark plug tool that works perfectly. So tomorrow I will be replacing both plugs with new ones. My question is, what gap do you fellows find most appropriate? The handbook says 0.8 - 0.9 millimeters. I was thinking of going a little larger, maybe 0.933. What do you fellows think?

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Spark Plugs

Post by Herb »

If you are running stock plugs, I would stick with the 0.8-0.9mm. These don't have the strongest ignition spark to start with and too wide a gap can cause a misfire issue.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test

Post by JamesC »

What about fuel? Any difference between brands? I was going to gap a little more because I run premium. I know the handbook says 87 octane, but all my biker buddies go with the premium for some reason.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Intruders are low compression and do not need the higher octane. It won't run any better so why throw away money.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Leckbass
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: 1992 Intruder 1400

Post by Leckbass »

Lechy wrote:Intruders are low compression and do not need the higher octane. It won't run any better so why throw away money.

[emoji41]
Exactly

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Your bike will run a lot better with 87 octane and .035 gap.
Pull the chrome head cover off for better access.
Don't forget to blow away any debris with compressed air before you pull the plugs.
A piece of 5/16 fuel line slipped over the plug will aid in installation, without cross-threading the hole.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

JamesC wrote:What about fuel? Any difference between brands? I was going to gap a little more because I run premium. I know the handbook says 87 octane, but all my biker buddies go with the premium for some reason.
It will run best on 87, 89 will do in a pinch. Even better is to check out https://www.pure-gas.org/, your engine will love you for it, even if you can only get higher octane.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test

Post by JamesC »

Okay, so I replaced my plugs yesterday. The front one was relatively clean, but the rear one, which was loose; was black with soot. Having the original Suzuki Spark Plug tool made all the difference. I was able to easily snug them down nice and tight, using "Never Cease" on the threads. She runs like a champ again. I don't know what you guys who don't have that tool use, but the 18mm deep socket by Craftsmen for 3/8ths drive does not work very well. You can snug them down, but then the socket gets stuck on the plug, and I wind up backing off to get it out. Anyway, I went for a nice ride and all is well again. Thanks.

keges335
Riding on Learners Permit
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by keges335 »

I always ran NGK Iridium in my Intruder 800 and when I got my1400 did so as well. But beause I watch NHRA and always see the commercial ,.What Are You Running ,. Decided to try a set of E3s,. Didnt seem to like those,. So going back to the NGKs., :putput:

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

keges335 wrote:I always ran NGK Iridium in my Intruder 800 and when I got my1400 did so as well. But beause I watch NHRA and always see the commercial ,.What Are You Running ,. Decided to try a set of E3s,. Didnt seem to like those,. So going back to the NGKs., :putput:
I tried E3s once, installed them in my Fiero just before the emissions test - it failed badly. Put in platinum plugs (iridium not out then), and sailed through the test. I view all of those 'fire injector' plugs as snake oil, too.
Florissant, MO

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club
My Bike: SUZUKI

Post by franktiregod »

I run the NGKS Iridiums too and have for years. They work great. When people ask why I run them i say because I like to say iridium. [emoji2]

As for fuel, use 87. You dont need premium. Its an advantage of your intruder so enjoy the savings.

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test

Post by JamesC »

I had the iridiums installed, but I didn't notice any difference. I went back to the regular plugs and she runs just fine.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

JamesC wrote:I had the iridiums installed, but I didn't notice any difference. I went back to the regular plugs and she runs just fine.
I used to run the regular plugs, replacing them every 12-15,000 miles. Then I switched to the iridiums and the bike is still running good with over 28,000 miles on the plugs. Pulled them at 15,000 and the gap was still perfect, didn't even need gapping. On top of that it starts easier in below 40 conditions.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

Herb wrote:
JamesC wrote:I had the iridiums installed, but I didn't notice any difference. I went back to the regular plugs and she runs just fine.
I used to run the regular plugs, replacing them every 12-15,000 miles. Then I switched to the iridiums and the bike is still running good with over 28,000 miles on the plugs. Pulled them at 15,000 and the gap was still perfect, didn't even need gapping. On top of that it starts easier in below 40 conditions.
This is why most (if not all) auto OEMs are iridium now; the EPA requires them to go something like 50,000 without failing emissions, and these plugs last. I put them in my '70 CB450 engine, a really cold-hearted beast, and it starts much sooner in cool weather; I assume it's because of the extra fine tip, making a relatively weak spark effectively stronger.
Florissant, MO