My Resurrection Thread

Post mods to non specific brands or models of bikes here.
navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: My Resurrection Thread

Post by navigator »

With the parts in the 2nd pic in that orientation....The cable would enter from the left, spring slides over the cable first, then the tit on the end of the cable slides into the brass piece, there should be a slot to facilitate that. you will slightly compress the spring.
Then the whole assy slides into the hole. the outer black piece (nut) on he cable holds it all in place.
When operated the cable lifts, compressing the spring and opening the port in the bottom of the hole. when "choke" is off the spring holds the brass against the hole, sealing it off.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

# 26, 27, 28 here.
https://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/a/ ... retor-rear

Different bike but same idea:

ncdave
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 97 1400 Intruder

Post by ncdave »

so, what I'm thinking is the guy must have put this post into the incorrect carb. I need to use the needle/spring in replacement of this....(see arrow).

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Dave, IIRC the 1400 has a cable that pulls this Rear Carb Enrichener Piston here and also on the Front Carb at the same time.

Do you have this?

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

ncdave
Learning My Moped

Post by ncdave »

Designer wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:28 am
Dave, IIRC the 1400 has a cable that pulls this Rear Carb Enrichener Piston here and also on the Front Carb at the same time.

Do you have this?
yes. in the picture, the cable end is coming down from the upper carb. the ball end of that cable goes into the upper circle of the piece in my other picture. that cable end has the spring slid over it before the ball connection to the brass piece. I believe all of that screws down into the opening where there is a brass post sticking up (currently). I think that brass post was inserted there (incorrectly) by my guy doing the carb cleaning. I think that post actually belonged to the spare front carb (which had to be replaced).

I hope all of that makes sense.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

I agree.
I thought that nipple/plug looked out of place. IIRC that choke assembly goes in there.

ncdave
Learning My Moped

Post by ncdave »

My assumption was correct. Per the pic, carbs are all back in place. I just need to connect the fuel lines now.

ncdave
Learning My Moped

Post by ncdave »

Hi.....my name is Dave and I'm a slacker.

("Hi Dave")

it's been a while since I turned a wrench on the project. between crappy cold and rainy weather and a case of covid, I haven't gotten anything further done on the bike. :(

I have to get the fuel lines replaced and then re-install a few electronic pieces that I removed while digging into the left side of the bike. I am also going to take the clutch system apart AGAIN. I am having a weird tick or clunk coming from the system when I engage the clutch lever. it's kinda like the pushrod is moving and then making contact with something before the clutch plates actually separate. I'm going to take everything apart one more time to double check things. I'm also going to bleed the system again, just to be safe. If anyone has any kind of experience with this noise, please let me know. I gotta think it's something stupid cause this entire system is not rocket science and I've had a number of other bikes apart like this before. They were Kawasaki's though. Maybe it's a suzuki thing. :GoneFishin:

Anyway...weather is great here now. The goldwing is getting exercise again, and it's comfortable to work in the garage. Just gotta get past this sluggishness from covid.

More to come.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

If the wave washer and the plates, especially the one that is thicker than the other are not in correctly you will get some wierd noises and clunks out of the clutch. You shouldn't have to ask how I know this... :bang:
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Yup, wave washer orientation is important, also having the thicker plate inside is key.
All the plates are the same part number....except for one, which is slightly thicker.
Also if the slave piston is sticking, you will get a clunk as it frees up.

ncdave
Learning My Moped

Post by ncdave »

navigator wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:52 pm
Yup, wave washer orientation is important, also having the thicker plate inside is key.
All the plates are the same part number....except for one, which is slightly thicker.
Also if the slave piston is sticking, you will get a clunk as it frees up.
Hopefully it's not the piston sticking. I just rebuilt and put new internals in the SC. I'll check the plates and washer though.

thanks for the input guys!

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Also double check you have the slave cylinder bolts snugged up. It wouldn't be the first time someone's only had them finger tight and there's a tiny bit of movement there....which can result in a click when you operate the clutch.

ncdave
Learning My Moped

Post by ncdave »

as usual, no progress on the resurrection. :(

I had a tire failure on my GW week before last. I ordered new tires and valves and then left for vacation to Miami for a week. I got back over the weekend and have now got the rear tire replaced on the GW. ended up being a valve failure, but the tire was due to be changed. I still have the front to change as it's getting old too. Need to get it all fixed up for my coast-to-coast IBA trip in a few weeks.

After getting this done (hopefully this weekend) I'll get back to the Intruder. It's been on my mind lately and I'd like to get the focus and time to get this thing running again!

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

ncdave wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:06 am
as usual, no progress on the resurrection. :(

I had a tire failure on my GW week before last. I ordered new tires and valves and then left for vacation to Miami for a week. I got back over the weekend and have now got the rear tire replaced on the GW. ended up being a valve failure, but the tire was due to be changed. I still have the front to change as it's getting old too. Need to get it all fixed up for my coast-to-coast IBA trip in a few weeks.

After getting this done (hopefully this weekend) I'll get back to the Intruder. It's been on my mind lately and I'd like to get the focus and time to get this thing running again!
Good that you have another running bike whilst you work on the Intruder. There's nothing worse IMO than not having a running bike whilst you are wrenching on one. For me taking a ride is a good time to think about what you need to do to the fixer - including planning a schedule.

ncdave
Learning My Moped

Post by ncdave »

got stuff taken apart again. I figured out that I put the long/short bolts back into the incorrect locations on the clutch basket. I thought I was sure that I followed the original pattern. Either I f'ed up, or they were the wrong pattern to begin with. Either way, it's better now. I decided I'm going to install HD springs before bolting it back up. Hopefully this is the last time to have it apart. While waiting for the springs, I'm going to get some other things put back together and hopefully can crank it soon. :cheers:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

"or they were the wrong pattern to begin with"

not knowing the history of what has been done to the bike this is entirely possible. Might be the reason it was parked.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

ncdave
Learning My Moped

Post by ncdave »

Well, I've finally returned from all my happy wanderings. that included a coast-to-coast trip from Wilmington NC to San Diego and back to Jacksonville FL. It was an amazing experience to cross off the bucket list.

Now, back to the resurrection. While gone, the new clutch springs arrived. they have not been installed and I'm ready to start putting everything back together. Hopefully I'll find time over the weekend to get some work done.

ncdave
Learning My Moped

Post by ncdave »

so...clutch springs and bolts installed. working much better now. I put the side cover back on and got everything bolted back onto the bike. the only thing I have left is fuel lines from the tank to the petcock, getting a battery, and putting oil in the bike. We're getting close to turning those two pistons over....FINALLY! :)

ncdave
Learning My Moped

Post by ncdave »

so, along with the clutch buttoned up, everything is back together. I still need fuel lines. I was not able to find any locally which I was satisfied with, so am ordering some. Battery is installed and the bike cranks. No starting yet without fuel, but it's moving. Next step, hopefully, is gas and go!

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Lookin' good there, Dave. :space: Can you use some regular Hose and hook up a remote Gas Tank to check how it runs?

Tell me, is that Pink Jeep I see there what you use for short hops to the Store? :space: :ShitGrin:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!