Engine Dies at idle

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Re: Engine Dies at idle

Post by jonnycando »

The K&N filters absent any other mods allow sufficient vacuum to operate the slides and generally a mixture adjustment is not needed. The main thing that maintains slide operation is the airboxes themselves. Remove them and add pods...and then yes indeed. You will adjust the mixture, and if you have opened up the pipes you will put great big yawning jets in too!

whooshbang
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 2005 Suzuki Boulevard s83

Post by whooshbang »

jonnycando wrote:The K&N filters absent any other mods allow sufficient vacuum to operate the slides and generally a mixture adjustment is not needed. The main thing that maintains slide operation is the airboxes themselves. Remove them and add pods...and then yes indeed. You will adjust the mixture, and if you have opened up the pipes you will put great big yawning jets in too!
I have kept the original airbox. only replaced the inserts.
2005 Suzuki Boulevard s83

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

jonnycando wrote:The K&N filters absent any other mods allow sufficient vacuum to operate the slides and generally a mixture adjustment is not needed. The main thing that maintains slide operation is the airboxes themselves. Remove them and add pods...and then yes indeed. You will adjust the mixture, and if you have opened up the pipes you will put great big yawning jets in too!

The filters have nothing to do with Vacuum that comes from the engine. Slide operation is from Vacuum of variable supply depending on butterfly position, nothing to do with air boxes.

Don't touch the jets don't even think about it. Some people think Jets need changing for any reason they can think of ---don't do it. Its totally unnecessary. Give the bike a good long run with hard throttle as many times as you can. this alone will make a big difference.

You might want to start with a new set of plugs as well, giving it a better chance of setting itself up.

whooshbang
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 2005 Suzuki Boulevard s83

Post by whooshbang »

Thanks for all of your advice people. I managed to remove the brass blanking plug that was covering the rear carb AF screw and adjust them both. What an amazing difference. I wound them both out 2.5 turns and now have a steady idle and no popping from my (baffled) drag pipes. Choke is virtually thing of the past and is turned off swiftly after start up. (it's still just about summer here though). I took her out for a good blast, hit 95mph with little effort but could feel the torque slope off though. reckon she'll do a ton and not much more. I'm okay with that though.

Thanks again to everyone's input, even had time to fit my forward controls over the weekend...

[emoji106]
2005 Suzuki Boulevard s83

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

Very nice. [emoji2]

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

I think im right in saying the 1400 does 121MPH,--- but being a bike forum I shall no doubt be challenged on that. I know that my 1400 wil do over 100 in a heart beat if ive had a beer or two ---easy, just a blip of the throttle and away it goes over 100.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

We are talking MPH not KPH.
:lmao: :lmao: [emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Sorry Letch you're little joke fell a bit flat there. I did specify MPH and in any case my machine is a California bike and I don't have KPH.

Yes it will easily reach 100 MPH as many owners of the mighty 1400 can testify to.

KPH is used on the 800 to make you feel your going faster.

And why should it not ,--the bike is fitted with 66HP --isnt that enough for a ton. There is cars can piss a ton with 60 HP.

Ive had quite a lot of practice with this argument when I talk to the Harley boys when I point out to them that we are cruising at just a shade under there max speed and maybe stressing their engines, I ask if they would like me to slow down a bit for them. :uhh:

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

You won't keep up with any 6 speed Harley. They will pull away from you because of the gearing and overall muscle.
And I can say for a fact your 1400 won't stay with my Vic either. I've already had it up to 100 and it wasn't even breathing hard yet. It's got almost twice the engine of my 1400 and with only 300 more cc's

Yo-

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

WHOA there fellas! Now I would rather take a long trip with a lady that treats me right rather than one that might rag on me. You boys that like the hard ride are certainly welcome to go for it. Me on the luxury cruiser on the other hand, will thoroughly enjoy myself and completely not envy your destitute ride to get anywhere. You younger crowd also need to learn when you can drive around hauling ass and when not too. You know you really need us older folks to help you out! You youngsters just don't have a clue.

Yo-

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Na na na you see you don't understand . Mine is an 87 and there was something wrong with them when they were made . Some one fitted high cams in them or something when they should'nt hence the 87 is another bike.

Ive cleaned off so many Harleys and I even give them 100 yds start. A 6 speed would be uselsss on my 1400 it likes to get its teeth into some torqing not just changing gears. 2nd and 3rd gear is gut wrenching torque --hold on.

Just give it the gun for a few seconds in each gear and your up to 90 , just drop it into top and blip it and way over a ton.

If I had a good front tyre I would go faster.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Amazing what they can do these days with photography. Did you see Transformers.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Rather you than me. I had a mate used to ride like that,--he is dead now.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

800' & 1400 both max out at around 115 mph, very little difference in acceleration it would be a riders race.
1/4 mile 13.6 sec / 152.8 km/h
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

jlabster
Tricycles are Cool

Post by jlabster »

Spit Fire, I had the same issue with my bike last year. I thought it was a fuel issue. I replaced the fuel solenoid and fuel pump to no avail. I found my problem was the stator. I had to have it replaced! Might want to check that out.

Happy.

NE_FL
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VS1400

Post by NE_FL »

:blink: 95mph was fast enough for me!

tc1400
Got My M1 License!

Post by tc1400 »

jlabster wrote:Spit Fire, I had the same issue with my bike last year. I thought it was a fuel issue. I replaced the fuel solenoid and fuel pump to no avail. I found my problem was the stator. I had to have it replaced! Might want to check that out.

Happy.
Spit Fire,

You can unplug the stator connector under the seat and ohm out each of the 3 windings. I could see this being a possiblty, and easy to check. I had one go bad on my S83 and found 2 of the 3 windings were burnt and open. Several other Boulevard S83 owners have had this problem also. Suzuki may have used lower grade stators on the later models, I'm not sure, but that problem doesn't seem to be as common on the older ones.

Spitfire
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by Spitfire »

tc1400 wrote:
jlabster wrote:Spit Fire, I had the same issue with my bike last year. I thought it was a fuel issue. I replaced the fuel solenoid and fuel pump to no avail. I found my problem was the stator. I had to have it replaced! Might want to check that out.

Happy.
Spit Fire,

You can unplug the stator connector under the seat and ohm out each of the 3 windings. I could see this being a possiblty, and easy to check. I had one go bad on my S83 and found 2 of the 3 windings were burnt and open. Several other Boulevard S83 owners have had this problem also. Suzuki may have used lower grade stators on the later models, I'm not sure, but that problem doesn't seem to be as common on the older ones.
Thanks guys, I may just check that out once I get back home from the lake, haven't taken the bike out since since replacing the plugs, filters and resyncing the carbs. Need to fill it up and get it warm before resetting the a/f mix as well. Weather is suppose to cool off to to high 80s next week so 5hat will be a good time to hit it again. [emoji106]

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Stalling at idle is neither fuel pump or relay and most definitely not the stator.

You can disconnect the stator and start the bike (its how you check the out put) If the stator is at fault how can a bike run without it.

tc1400
Got My M1 License!

Post by tc1400 »

Maye when it's running on just battery?
 ! Message from: 98VS1400
Edited for content