Can't get first gear

wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

Can't get first gear

Post by wj_hurd »

My 96 is not wanting to down shift into 1st at stops. I have to lift a little then get it to drop down, IF I can get that to work, otherwise its a second gear chug fest. :hellfire:
Could this rod be out of adjustment?

I know when its not going to drop into first, the shifter feels like its sloppy, then gets firm on me, it then will not budge and I have to attempt to lift it a little with my toe to get it to drop.

When this first started, it was doing like I described, I would down shift into first, and I felt no click down, the shifter felt like it fell off. Then it would get firm again and drop into first.

Yesterday on the way to work it did it a couple of times, however coming home was the worst, I had to fight to get it to drop into first.
I checked the shifter when I got home... When I grab the shifter with my hand it feels firm, not loose or anything.
If there is any other ideas for me to look into please let me know.

Thanks a bunch!
:soda:
1996 VS1400GL, Jardine Drag pipes, K&N Filters.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Re: Can't get first gear

Post by YoDude »

Try lubing the pivot point on the shift lever. I had a similar issue with mine and it was that simple. Check the seal at the location on the side of the case where the bell crank attaches to the splined shifter shaft as well. That seal sometimes backs it's way out of there and can cause binding. If the seal looks like it's a problem, remove the linkage from the shaft and you can use a socket and small hammer to tap it back in again. When you go to re-attach the bell crank to the shift linkage, it goes on with the crank pointing straight down at 6:00 not off to either side. You shouldn't need to do anything to the adjuster linkage, so don't mess with it.

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

Post by wj_hurd »

Thanks Yo... [emoji106]
I got home Monday and didn't get a chance to look at it then, and last night was bad too.
Hopefully tonight I can really inspect it and find the issue.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

Sure thing. Let us know how it goes.

Yo-

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

wj_hurd wrote:My 96 is not wanting to down shift into 1st at stops. I have to lift a little then get it to drop down, IF I can get that to work, otherwise its a second gear chug fest. :hellfire:
Could this rod be out of adjustment?

I know when its not going to drop into first, the shifter feels like its sloppy, then gets firm on me, it then will not budge and I have to attempt to lift it a little with my toe to get it to drop.

When this first started, it was doing like I described, I would down shift into first, and I felt no click down, the shifter felt like it fell off. Then it would get firm again and drop into first.

Yesterday on the way to work it did it a couple of times, however coming home was the worst, I had to fight to get it to drop into first.
I checked the shifter when I got home... When I grab the shifter with my hand it feels firm, not loose or anything.
If there is any other ideas for me to look into please let me know.

Thanks a bunch!
Are you coming to a stop in 2nd and *then* trying to put it in first?
-DBTO

wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

Post by wj_hurd »

Are you coming to a stop in 2nd and *then* trying to put it in first?
It was occurring when down shifting and coming to a stop, and while I was stopped.

So update....
Last night I stopped and purchased a K&N oil filter on my way home, and took some time to tinker with the bike.

I saw the linkage as per the tech articles I have read, and how the shift lever pivots.
My shift lever has some slop in its pivot joint. Not sure if its really bad... 1/8" or so of play. I lubed the crap out of it with some PB blaster all purpose lubricant.
On to the linkage.
The linkage adjusts the up and down height of the shift lever. I added a little bit of height and locked the jam nuts back down.
Then I moved to the boots on the joints. I thought I had screwed the pooch with the one at the transmission end, I had a hard time putting the boot back over the joint.
So I squirted a good shot of the lube into both of the joint boots an sealed them back up.
On to the filter....
Took off the Fram and spun on the K&N and topped off the oil.

Fired that bad boy up.

I figured while I was tinkering, I would see if I could adjust the A/F a bit. I have a bit of popping and loud cracks out the left tail pipe on deceleration, and it smelled richer from that pipe vs the right pipe.
So I took a little turn out of the left and added a little turn to right...AKA lean out the rear and enriched the front.

Test ride time!

Big difference from the seat of the pants. It felt good on the hard throttle pull and the shifts were nice and crisp with a clean click into each gear.
I listened to the engine at the stops I made... No more rattle!!! :rock: Engine was the same as it was prior to the spring swap. The K&N filter I think improved the oil pressure. One more thing to NOT buy at Walmart again.

This mornings ride into work....

Bike started up sweet... Outside temp about 59deg with about 60% HUMIDITY. Full choke, a couple a blips of the start button to prime and she popped off first touch of the button.
Nice and smooth, engine noises gone, no more popping/cracking out the left tail pipe like before.
Time to hit the road. :putput:
Went about 1/8 mile and shut off the choke, she smoothed out nice and purred like a kitten.
Fist chance, laid int her hard, she opened up with her defiant roar, pulled hard up to 2nd, hard snap into second, little squeal from the rear tire for mercy and settled her back down to cruise at 40 in 3rd.

Every light & stop sign the shift was firm and in place, no more hunting for 1st. Nice firm pull from a stop and smooth at speed. Got onto the expressway, opened her up to about 70 and she sang the song of her people with sweet sweet harmony! The cobras were just rolling out their sweet notes!
No more rattle/tick that was there before.

So I would say I have resolved my issues.

Thanks guys! [emoji106] :cheers:

Spitfire
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by Spitfire »

Good to hear, sounds like you got her whipped into shape! :cheers: [space] :bow:

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

Good to hear!

Yo-

NE_FL
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VS1400

Post by NE_FL »

Now that's my idea of a "happy ending"!! [emoji2]

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

:rock:

tc1400
Got My M1 License!

Post by tc1400 »

I know this is an old thread, but I had that problem with the bushing popping out from the shifter shaft and rubbing against the lever too. It's pretty common. Also, lubing the shit out of the joints inside the rubber boots is an on-going issue for me. I started using spray lithium grease for these.

Anyway...Fram oil filters, mentioned in this post...

Has anyone else really experienced problems with these? I use Fram filters and Shell Rotella T6 each oil change, which never exceed 3000 miles. Many times, I might even change a little sooner. I've never had or suspected a problem with the Frams, but a lot of folks complain about them. Oil Pressure? I haven't yet comapared to another brand like K&N or WIX or whatever so maybe I'm missing something here. I get mine from WallyWorld because they sell the oil too. I'm curious to other points of view on this. Maybe I should have started another thread, but since it was mentioned I thought I would continue with it.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

There's a youtube video where a guy tears into like six different oil filters and as it turns out, there's really not much difference between them. They all do the same thing, filter oil. They're all basically constructed the same way, just small differences between them. Fram was the first one he tore into and compared the rest of the filters to it IIRC.

Yo-

tc1400
Got My M1 License!

Post by tc1400 »

I was just looking at that video, if it's this one.
The Fram's internal construction seems shoddy compared to the others. The example in the video is probably not the norm, but it tells me something about quality control. I've been using Fram filters on my cars and the bike for years now because they are so available. The life span maxes around 5000 miles, but I change it much sooner than that. I'm just curious as to why his noises stopped. Change in oil pressure? It seems unlikely but can't rule it out. The sounds I hear from mine seem normal to me because its always been that way and Fram is all I've ever used. It's a big air-cooled engine designed with loose tolerances (compared to a water cooled, for example) so I expect to hear some internal ticking sounds. It always has. Next oil change I'll try another brand and see.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

I don't recall if that was the same one or not, I don't remember anyone needing to take a leak at the end of it, but there's several of them out there.

Yo-

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

It is anecdotal evidence to be sure....but people are saying Intruders run altogether better with a K&N oil filter. I have got two, and I am going to put one on as soon as I am ready to change the oil.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

Next oil change, mine's getting a K&N as well. One of those nice chrome jobs with the nut for the wrench on it too. Those are sweet!

Yo-

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

Yeeha gonna git me a Kn filter to fix my gearbox troubles, gonna git that puppy spun on down and get them bad boys poppin. :clap:

scootermcq
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: VS1400 + VL1500

Post by scootermcq »

YoDude wrote:Next oil change, mine's getting a K&N as well. One of those nice chrome jobs with the nut for the wrench on it too. Those are sweet!

Yo-
I went black with the nut for the wrench cause I have a moral objection to throwing away chrome :roll:

I use semi synthetic and it could be imagined, but I do think the valve train sounds happier suggesting better oil flow.
Scott

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

scootermcq wrote:
YoDude wrote:Next oil change, mine's getting a K&N as well. One of those nice chrome jobs with the nut for the wrench on it too. Those are sweet!

Yo-
I went black with the nut for the wrench cause I have a moral objection to throwing away chrome :roll:

I use semi synthetic and it could be imagined, but I do think the valve train sounds happier suggesting better oil flow.
Or possibly simply new oil?

Yo-

EstIntruder
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: vs1400

Post by EstIntruder »

I have got almost same problem with my 93' vs1400. It started yesterday. Problem was I could not shift down from 3rd to 2nd. When I shift 4th to 3rd it stayed down on 3rd and did not pop up so I could down shift.

I have read that I should oil the shifter, but isn't that shifter running in oil already? Or where exactly should I put grease or oil on? To grease the shifter, to I need to flush engine oil?