popping from exhaust front cylinder

kidastra
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 96 intruder 1400

Re: popping from exhaust front cylinder

Post by kidastra »

ok thanks, I am glad it is fixed, but still very lost on how this adjustment screw is the problem after 4 years.

kidastra
Practicing Bicycling

Post by kidastra »

98VS1400 wrote:
kidastra wrote:ok thanks, I am glad it is fixed, but still very lost on how this adjustment screw is the problem after 4 years.

haha fine fine, I'll leave well enough alone.

Spitfire
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by Spitfire »

As I said, from the Suzuki Service Manual. I didn't misread it, didn't misunderstand it and it even has pictures. The PILOT SCREW is an adjustment for a MIX of air and fuel. The amount of air is controlled by the AIR JET and the amount of fuel is controlled by the FUEL JET and they are not adjustable. The PILOT SCREW is an adjustment for the amount of a set ratio of fuel and air that will enter the main bore. The overall effect is that the screw still controls the overall air fuel ration entering the engine but rather than directly vary the air to fuel ratio you vary an air to air fuel ratio. The result is the same as a fuel screw ,turn it in to lean out to enrich. I suppose you could say you are regulating a diluted fuel by turning the screw. I do however wonder if all year model 1400 Intruders have the same set up. :donno:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

Spitfire wrote:As I said, from the Suzuki Service Manual. I didn't misread it, didn't misunderstand it and it even has pictures. The PILOT SCREW is an adjustment for a MIX of air and fuel. The amount of air is controlled by the AIR JET and the amount of fuel is controlled by the FUEL JET and they are not adjustable. The PILOT SCREW is an adjustment for the amount of a set ratio of fuel and air that will enter the main bore. The overall effect is that the screw still controls the overall air fuel ration entering the engine but rather than directly vary the air to fuel ratio you vary an air to air fuel ratio. The result is the same as a fuel screw ,turn it in to lean out to enrich. I suppose you could say you are regulating a diluted fuel by turning the screw. I do however wonder if all year model 1400 Intruders have the same set up. :donno:

:cheers:

Keith?
-DBTO

MadCow
Site Admin

Post by MadCow »

98VS1400 wrote:
MadCow wrote:
Spitfire wrote:As I said, from the Suzuki Service Manual. I didn't misread it, didn't misunderstand it and it even has pictures. The PILOT SCREW is an adjustment for a MIX of air and fuel. The amount of air is controlled by the AIR JET and the amount of fuel is controlled by the FUEL JET and they are not adjustable. The PILOT SCREW is an adjustment for the amount of a set ratio of fuel and air that will enter the main bore. The overall effect is that the screw still controls the overall air fuel ration entering the engine but rather than directly vary the air to fuel ratio you vary an air to air fuel ratio. The result is the same as a fuel screw ,turn it in to lean out to enrich. I suppose you could say you are regulating a diluted fuel by turning the screw. I do however wonder if all year model 1400 Intruders have the same set up. :donno:
:cheers:

Keith?
Don't Keith me. Like I said before... it doesn't matter what you call the screw, or how the inner workings of that screw perform the function. For instance, do you know exactly how your intestinal systems breaks down food and produces the pile of poo you leave in your toilet? Probably not, but yet, you still some to function alright every day.

His bike was popping. It was explained to him how to fix it via adjusting that little brass screw on the carb. After he did so, the popping stopped. Problem solved, and case closed.

Carry on with your little game of trying to prove someone else wrong about labeling the mixture screw an A/F screw or pilot screw. At the end of the day, like your intestinal system, all you're gonna do is produce a big, messy, stinky pile of poo. [emoji2]

Mike? :fu:

I'm literally laughing out loud! :rock: :rock: :lmao: :lmao:
-DBTO

MadCow
Site Admin

Post by MadCow »

98VS1400 wrote:[emoji106]

Just wanted to make sure you understand why I was incorrectly (I think) calling it an air screw....I don't feel as wrong now ;P

:lmao: [emoji106] [emoji106]
-DBTO

kidastra
Practicing Bicycling

Post by kidastra »

not for nothing, but that screw function is very important, it's the difference of right turn equals leaner or richer.

Spitfire
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by Spitfire »

98, you are right. The final result is his problem is solved and everyone is happy. Now for the backside of this is it does make a difference if you understand how and why something works. If it was a fuel screw very minor adjustments will result in noticeable changes while an air/fuel mix will have less drastic changes for the same amount of adjustment. I've been a mechanic for over 30 years on one type of system or another for over 30 years and always the best mechanics I've come across had a thorough understanding of the machine they were attempting to install, repair or fine tune. Training should always start with learning what a person knows and then go from there. :rag: Personally I'm new to working on bikes but I can translate much of what I know from other things I've worked on and very willing to listen to those of you who can help me get to the end of a project. [emoji106]

kidastra
Practicing Bicycling

Post by kidastra »

yep, everyone is happy.
But I didn't get to learn, too much confusion about that screw

Spitfire
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by Spitfire »

Aw heck, no confusion. 98 was right, turn screw clockwise to lean, counterclockwise to rich. Doesn't really matter if you call it a pilot screw or a fuel screw so long as you both know what screw you mean. What you are controlling is an air fuel mix so think of it as fuel. See? [emoji106]

kidastra
Practicing Bicycling

Post by kidastra »

I give up lol

Blaine
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 05 S83 07 M50

Post by Blaine »

Spitfire wrote:Aw heck, no confusion. 98 was right, turn screw clockwise to lean, counterclockwise to rich. Doesn't really matter if you call it a pilot screw or a fuel screw so long as you both know what screw you mean. What you are controlling is an air fuel mix so think of it as fuel. See? [emoji106]
There ya go........Enough said! :bonk:
If at first you succeed,don't be surprised.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

I call it a mixture screw....