Intruder 1400 Clutch Slipping

Tripseven
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: Sold it for an 82 Corvette

Re: Intruder 1400 Clutch Slipping

Post by Tripseven »

I put the Designer springs on my bike as well. Definitely a seat of the pants difference. I can also feel the additional grip required at the clutch. I figure its about double what I needed to squeeze the lever before.

I didn't take any pictures... 98VS1400 Yours are a great!

My only cheat was laying my bike over onto a bale of hay so I wouldn't have to drain the oil. ( I had changed the oil about a week before I ordered the new springs) I didn't think it really needed to be changed out after only two weeks.

The whole job only took about an hour. It would take more if you had to change the oil, and figure out how to stand the bike.

My gasket survived much better than yours.

I'd love to be in the movies, but I have a face for radio, a voice for writing, and arthritis

DMIntruder
Riding on Learners Permit

Post by DMIntruder »

Yep, Designer springs are the single biggest bang for the buck a person can spend on their 1400. I have installed them in 2 bikes now.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

I'm quite sure I can say this for anyone that ever installed Designer Springs, They truly do put a smile on your face. Without question, they are absolutely the single best investment a VS1400 owner can do for their bikes. Oh and by the way, Designer has graced us with registering on this board.

Let us hope this site can be another outlet for him to spread his magic to others! Thank you Designer!

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

It wasn't so much the slip but the terrible snatch I had just as the bike started to move. I fitted a new EBC clutch and I bought some stronger springs from a motorbike shop for a few dollars and yes problem solved --some years ago now.

The original material was compressed paper and was common on bikes at one time, they were well known for the "snatch' I could compress my springs with thumb and finger to coil bound --pathetic. Some springs off some bike worked well for me.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

77-87 did more clutch changes than anything at drag strips.The old crush washers from GS750 sparkplugs really gave you a few more runs when put behind the springs and a few more miles on a slipping street bike.A gasket can be made from a good side of cardboad from a snack cracker box.When cover is off if gasket needed put a light flim of oil on the case.Hold paper against it and when turned over you have the out line to cut around and make holes in.Gasket usually can be reused lots of times.In a regular little factory tool kit you can wrap duct tape and elc tape around shaft of wrenchs or part between tip and handle of the small screwdriver.Bend some good wire a few times till length of the tool pouch.A nut on a bolt with lock nut and washer may come in good if needed.A cell phone is useless in half the places we go.A small tube of antisezi is all ways good.Had six Harleys so carring a lot of tools comes natural to me :big grin: .

Night_Wolf
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 2006 1400 Intruder

Post by Night_Wolf »

I have a set of these springs to install but that will wait until I do the Designer Gear mod :naughty: I'm sure I'll make use of these instructions :cheers:
Type @ Ya'll Later
Night_Wolf

Intruder Alert Canada/Night_Wolf's Lair

Alberta Adventure Riders

2006 VS1400 Image 2020 V85TT Image

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Yes designer spring work well and make a slipping clutch grab all the horse you want. You will get 8 new springs that totally disregard the back torque limiter that works inside the clutch hub. Now--it may be that you don't care about this nifty bit of equipment that Suzuki included in the 1400 that was advanced for its time. Many racing bikes use these.

The BTL allows you to hammer down on gears to come into a corner and the clutch will be released very slightly and not lock the back wheel. Nice expensive bit of engineering but you don't have it --not any more.

The back torque limiter will not work , it will be disabled at the cost of your new clutch springs. It involves a very delicate balance of BTL springs and clutch spring.

In his defence Designer does not know this and so does not tell you. I have tried to tell him.

Again to his defence you have very little alternative but some testing and modifying only the BTL could have been possible but NO. I would help him to do this. I do not or will not be selling any springs at all.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

BTL works but after lots of miles can make the bike feel like the clutch is sliping.My 1400 had around 35,000 and it felt like it was slipping when cold.Just a 180 from what my other worn clutches had done.Told my good dealer friend about it.He had built me the best drag bike I ever owned and taught me a few things when I worked for him a few hours a week back in the 70s.He asked"It allways get ok after it heats up?""Yes after about five miles," told him.He could fix it but not cheap and if not a hassle it would not hurt the bike.When I traded it for a 36Ford pic up the bike had 45,000 and was the same but no worse.Like new when warmed up.Told the new owner.He liked the bike but traded it in on a new Voluisa and hated it.If any of you 1400 owners have this happen and ok when warm you can blame the BTL.What its for is if you down shift too low when in a cruve and let out it will not let the wheel grab and wreck you.Most 1400 owners don't try to take the slow things on a race course :big grin: They are more fun slow like most big v-twins.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

You're supposed to downshift BEFORE you get into the curve, not when you're half way through it.

In the motorcycle safety training course I took, they made a big point about using the brakes before you get to the curve and that braking while in a curve is a big no no. So far as I can see the BTL is for people that don't really know how to ride.

Yo-

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Most people will not mis the BTL. If they ride like I do it will never be used. If the back wheel puts too much torque back into the engine the BTL will give. I don't think I will ever be in that situation , I dont ride like that.

But as long as you know.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

In all honesty Fred, most people here know how to ride. As you said, they'll never ever see the BTL in operation because if you ride properly, you'll never need it, or, even know it's there.

Lets not make a big deal over something that's considered trivial to experienced riders, which is basically, you never want to get your rear tire sliding in a curve in any situation, unless you're on a dirt track.

Yo-

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Its also to save your engine. Racers would come to a corner and hammer down on 6-7 speed G Box and let the clutch do the work. Now I am NOT a racer, but I have took bikes round a track when I was involved with Castrol Malaysia.

Strange experience is that. You take a bike out that is like greased lightening on normal roads, put it on a track and you think there is something wrong with it.

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: ZG-XII and VS-XIV
Moniker: Postmaster

Post by Jolsen »

I have locked up the back even with the btl. But it took a lot of work to do it. Mainly overcoming my common sense

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
VS1400 Wiring Diagram INFOWARS
Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

Jolsen wrote:I have locked up the back even with the btl. But it took a lot of work to do it. Mainly overcoming my common sense

I don't think a back torque limiter on a VS1400 is the same as a true slipper clutch?
-DBTO

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: ZG-XII and VS-XIV
Moniker: Postmaster

Post by Jolsen »

Nope they serve the same purpose from what I read but done different ways.

VS1400 Wiring Diagram INFOWARS
Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

The BTL is a waste of money and makes for a lousy clutch. Everyone I know that has a BTL/slipper on a street bike HATES the dam thing. Clutches have a lousy friction band and require constant replacement because the operation of it causes clutch problems.

Anyone, including racers that need this crap, needs to learn to ride.

The 87 1400 is the first, and only, bike I ever had with a BTL. Never had a need for one.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

Designer spring mostly eliminate the effect, they are HIGHLY recommended.

Yo-

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

In case people don't know, on the intruder alert cafe I am woodbutyhl.
Not to cause problems but I would like to tell everyone my experience with Designer's springs and the 1400.
I bought an 87 1400 new in 89, it was a left over model. At aboput 13000 the clutch started to slip, by 18000 it was getting so bad that I changed the whole clutch, even though the plates were on the high side of the specs. Every 13-18 k I changed the springs, for 154K miles. Even with new springs the clutch NEVER felt right and it aqlways had a little drag, especially when cold.
I sold the 87 and bought a 99 with 8600 miles on it. By 15k it was slipping at 17k I changed the springs. By 30k it was slipping again. it was about this time I read about Designer's springs.
I had my doubts about them and was hesitating to buy them. I was talking to my son about the clutch and mentioned the springs. He went out and bought me a set for my b-day. I finally got around to installing them at about 35k.
The VERY first time I rode the bike I was impressed. The clutch had no drag, even cold it was better than the stock setup was warm. The bike pulled better than even with new springs. And my mileage went up about 10%.
I had them on that engine until I replaced the engine at 180k, still with the original clutch plates, which still measured out in the middle of the specs. I swapped out the engine for a lower mileage used one and swapped the springs from the old engine to the new. I now have over 40k since the swap and the clutch is still working better than new.
Total mileage on the springs is about 190k.
I cannot say enough good things about these springs.
If there is any mod that a person is going to do, Designer's springs should be the very first one.
As for the BTL controversy, BFD.
In almost 300k of riding 1400s I have NEVER had a time that it was used. HUGE waste of money and engineering.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

Agreed! This is the best modification any person can do to their Intruder 1400, hands down!

Yo-

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

If anyone is thinking about doing any mods to a 1400, the first one should be Designer springs. Best thing I have ever done.
Between my 2 1400s I have over 350 k. Still have never had any need for the btl.