Installing a fatty!

wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

Installing a fatty!

Post by wj_hurd »

Greetings!
I have searched the forums, googled and hunted for a real answer to this question…

Other than installing a car tire on my bike, how wide of a rear tire can I put on the rear of my bike?

The debates are HUGE! But lacking in answers! :bang:

I have seen a post about a 200/70-15 on the stock rim with a small amount of clearance, yet no rubbing issues. That topic turned into a fight stating the rim was too narrow for the tire to put down the wider foot print. That its not recommended... BLAH BLAH BLAH!! :bs:
So, I have read on line about the size differences between the 2 tires and the changes that will occur. I’m not worried about those… It’s the fit; I’m concerned with the most.
I would like to run the 200/70-15 on the bike, or the 190/70-15, for a little beefier tire.
Anyone have any input on this? Who has installed the fattest tire they can, that’s NOT a car tire?
Any suggestions for a tire brand that is priced reasonable, and where to buy it?

Thanks for your input and feedback.
1996 VS1400GL, Jardine Drag pipes, K&N Filters.

ddog6900
Joined a 250cc Club

Re: Installing a fatty!

Post by ddog6900 »

200 wide is a car tire. I doubt anyone installed bike tire that wide (without modding the swingarm). You'll need to measure your distances in your swingarm and get definite exact measurements. Then get tire manufacturer measurements. Because a Dunlop may fit and Michelin may not, for example. No one will be able to tell you for sure, because even a sight over inflation may change tire dimension. Remember, tires are measured in metric (mm) it's width x percent aspect ratio x rim size. That rounded edge makes all the difference. The largest DS tire I've heard fitting is 205, but that doesn't mean every 205 will fit. That's what makes me doubt a 200 motorcycle tire will fit. IIRC, the stock 1400 rear is a 170. Fattest you'll probably end up with is a 190. Every 25mm is an inch.

ddog6900
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by ddog6900 »

98VS1400 wrote:Enter ddog with his patented response...
I'll try over here, until I get too many askholes.

DMIntruder
Riding on Learners Permit

Post by DMIntruder »

wj_hurd, what is your reason for wanting to run a wider tire? Traction? Longevity? Price? Just looking for a project? I am curious as I have see folks do this so many times and I still do not understand the reasoning or said advantages.

wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

Post by wj_hurd »

So what size should I look for?
I know stock is 170/80-15...
I found a conversion website and played with some numbers...
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tireca ... -200-70r15

I don't need this till next season, but I would like to shop around for the new sneakers!

Why do I want fatter?
Personal preference... Like that fatter tire to fill in the space. The aggressive look and stance.

Kind of like how I despise big rims on cars, 20" 22" etc. I think it looks like shit and I love the big fat meaty 50 series on the back of a Camaro or something like that.
:funnylast: This to me looks like shit!
Image This to me is a thing of beauty! :kiss: :bow:
1996 VS1400GL, Jardine Drag pipes, K&N Filters.

Xafius
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Xafius »

I agree wholeheartedly brother.

ddog6900
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by ddog6900 »

ddog6900 wrote:You'll need to measure your distances in your swingarm and get definite exact measurements. Then get tire manufacturer measurements. Because a Dunlop may fit and Michelin may not, for example. No one will be able to tell you for sure, because even a sight over inflation may change tire dimension.
Look for, nothing. Measure, measure, measure. Then measure again just to be sure. Manufacturer doesn't list exact dimensions? Shoot them an email.