Air/Fuel adjustment or something else...?

Glsec507
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 1995 VS800

Air/Fuel adjustment or something else...?

Post by Glsec507 »

My roommates intruder is having some issues. I'll attempt to describe it.

2001 vs800...

First of all it has been sitting for a few weeks since I rode it home. During that particular ride it ran relatively well. A little hesitation from a stop but good smooth operation once it got going.

For a week now the thing hasn't wanted to start. I would hit the ignition button and it would try to turn over for a second then stop. Click click click... Push it again and it makes a really rapid clicking sound. So Sunday while installing my fwd controls and new battery I put his bike on a tender and left it on. Monday evening the bike started right up with the choke pulled.

Ok so that's an obvious solution. (Battery charge or replacement) On to the next....

The bike idles normally from what I can tell. While in neutral if I give and hold a little throttle the engine will rev and hold at whatever rpm but it's not consistent. Sounds like hesitation or 'as if' the a jet stops spraying gas for a second then starts spraying again really quickly. Just kind of hiccuppy. It will also backfire a little during this. If I give more throttle it seems to be fine.

The same while in gear. Getting going from a stop and low speed maneuvering is sputtery and choppy but the more throttle you give it the better it performs.

Is this a simple air/fuel mixture adjustment on one of the carbs or both or something else?

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: Air/Fuel adjustment or something else...?

Post by Lechy »

First, clean up and secure the fittings on the battery cables both ends, fit star washers to the battery connections. Next try adjusting the AF screws, best to lower the idle speed to do this, maybe you will have to drill out the factory fitted brass plugs. Return the idle speed to around 1100 rpm, do NOT try to emulate the Harley idle. If you are still having some roughness then it would be time for a carb synch.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Glsec507
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Glsec507 »

I saw the post about adjusting air fuel mixtures and having to drill out the plugs but I have no clue what it looks like with and without those plugs. The previous own did have aftermarket slip ons and claimed it was rejetted. So wouldn't that have entailed this procedure already??

I'm hoping to have him avoid taking it to a shop to tune it up for 70 and hour

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Most shops don't have a clue when it comes to setting up Intruders so you would be wasting hard earned going that route.
Do the clean up on the battery leads first, bad or dirty connections can give faults which appear to be carb related.
The plugs are difficult to find at first as they are obscured by hoses or cabling. Drilling out is easy to do once you have found them, 1/8" drill bit some insulation tape wrapped around the bit to stop it penetrating too deeply (3/16") if they don't rotate out, a longish self tapping screw and vice grips to wiggle them out.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=intru ... 40&bih=772

First 2 images.

[emoji41]

Glsec507
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Glsec507 »

Lechy wrote:Most shops don't have a clue when it comes to setting up Intruders so you would be wasting hard earned going that route.
Do the clean up on the battery leads first, bad or dirty connections can give faults which appear to be carb related.
The plugs are difficult to find at first as they are obscured by hoses or cabling. Drilling out is easy to do once you have found them, 1/8" drill bit some insulation tape wrapped around the bit to stop it penetrating too deeply (3/16") if they don't rotate out, a longish self tapping screw and vice grips to wiggle them out.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=intru ... 40&bih=772

First 2 images.

[emoji41]
Are those images drilled yet or no? That way I know what I'm looking at...also which is it, air or fuel that they adjust? And which carb handles the lower level of throttle?

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Here is the full link
http://www.intruders-alert.com/viewtopic.php?t=101

They don't seem to be drilled but it is difficult to tell.

The screws modify the air/fuel ratio at idle to 1/4 throttle, both carbs work in unison and must be set up together.
[emoji41]

Glsec507
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Glsec507 »

Next time I can get in the garage I'll see if they have been drilled. Hopefully so. Adjusting the screws and counting turns seems easy enough. Hopefully they are in sync already. The bike runs just fine once it's receiving typical throttle levels for over 0-25 mph. I would think it would feel under powered or still jerky at high speeds if there was more of an issue.

Thanks

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Everyone gets the carb adjustments arse about face.
Synch the carbs first then adjust the AF mix.
If the carbs are out of synch it is more difficult to judge the nuances of the changes in the idle when adjusting the AF mix.
[emoji41]

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Keith, you are LEO, I am a mechanic I have been setting up multiple carb systems for many years on cars and bikes. It is not good practice to try to fine tune an out of balance machine.

[emoji41]

Unless you are Fred and can tell just by sniffing the exhaust fumes.

:lmao:

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Post by enforcer »

Lechy wrote:Everyone gets the carb adjustments arse about face.
Synch the carbs first then adjust the AF mix.
If the carbs are out of synch it is more difficult to judge the nuances of the changes in the idle when adjusting the AF mix.
[emoji41]
Here's my two cents, if anyone cares. Lechy is correct, but what if both are already way out. You should set your starting point at 2 - 2 1/2 turns out, just so it will run well enough to get it synced. Then fine tune the a/f mix.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Bollock ya nasty old ham shank, ya love me really.

:kiss:
[emoji41]

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »