Problems with starting when cold

S83 trike
Tricycles are Cool

Problems with starting when cold

Post by S83 trike »

I have a S83 1400 trike and runs great when warmed up but.......
The last couple mornings it has stuttered at cold start up, the problem - I open up the choke and she will fire up, but its sounds like a bag of spanners, it actually sounds like the choke is not working correctly. This morning she fired up ok, but then started to back fire within 10 seconds. Then died, I tried again and she fired up, but sounded like a bag of spanners very 'throaty' but wouldn't hold the revs and died again.
So this time I fired her up without the choke, she spluttered a bit and I managed to keep it ticking over with some throttle, I managed to ride her and as soon as I opened her up she was off and ran like a dream for the whole 10 miles- no problems no miss/back fire at all- very smooth.
So basically its a cold start up that is causing the problem, its been like it now for 4 mornings - but once she warmed up like runs like a dream!
Could it be the choke failing to work possibly sticking?
Or rear cylinder not firing up properly.
Fuel pump?
It does run and sound very nice after she has warmed up within maybe 2 mins, - its just the initial cold start up I feel is the issue.
Any thoughts?

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: Problems with starting when cold

Post by Lechy »

Intruders no mater what engine size do not like the cold. Best thing in cold weather (if you can get her started) is to let her idle for a little while before hitting the tarmac.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

S83 trike
Tricycles are Cool

Post by S83 trike »

Thanks for the link but not the answer.
She would normal start up without a problem when the temp is -6 degrees.
Temp at moment is -1 on a morning.
No primer fitted to my trike, never need it also I don't need to pull the clutch in to start the trike, so turning on the key and pushing in the start button she goes straight into start up.
There has not been a problem with cold starting since I got her in 2010, I feel it is something like the enriched not pulling both carbs, maybe only the front, Or not allowing enough fuel in? Or maybe something sticking somewhere?
I plan to take off the tank tomorrow and check out the cables attached to the enricher/ choke.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Post by enforcer »

Sounds like it's time for a carb sync.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

S83 trike
Tricycles are Cool

Post by S83 trike »

enforcer wrote:Sounds like it's time for a carb sync.
Even when she's sweet as a nut once warmed up?

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Post by enforcer »

You said you had to give it throttle to get it to warm up. If the choke was sticking the plunger usually sticks open, not closed, so it should actually get better not worse. The fact that it gets better when warm is an indication of a lean condition. Barring a choke stuck closed, it could just need an air fuel adjustment. The priming ability of the 1400 is pretty useful as well, but can't be preformed with a bypassed clutch switch.

If it indeed sounds as bad when starting when you say, I'd still say your idle sync is off.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

S83 trike
Tricycles are Cool

Post by S83 trike »

Took off tank checked cables everything seemed to be ok, a mate brought round -

I am assuming this German Wurth treatment is similar to seafoam you have in the states?
Filled up the fuel tank, she fired up great albeit with two clouds of black smoke from my exhaust! - Tick over smooth, took it for a run -no problems the test will be tomorrow morning it see if it was shite in my fuel lines/carbs..............Fingers crossed!

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

May or may not be the same recipe, but that stuff ought to work.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

The Suzuki rep gave up on getting my 1400 to start below 20 if out all night.Anything below 30 it was the worse starting bike of over 30 owned.I ride all year and when your old Harley next to a under warranty 1400 suzuki out starts it in the 20s with 20-50 oil is a bad thing.The rep said after giving up on two times of under 21"We know they are poor cold weather starters but most all cruiser riders park them below 45 degrees so not a big thing as we see". :bang
I worked in a bike shop a few hours a week when drag racing and a few things learned.
All ways make sure the batt. is 100% is by far #1
Roll bike back hard while in gear to get piston at best spot before a start.
I put a 100W light under mine for a few hours and even tried a heated dip stick.Usually just took another bike as allways had at least three riders during the 45,000 miles I put on it.
Since you say it did start good before allways go back to any changes you made since then.Sounds like choke may not be working right but a below perfect battery is usually the trouble if they were starting good before.Good luck.

S83 trike
Tricycles are Cool

Post by S83 trike »

Fitted a new Motobatt [yellow one] battery back in January as I was replacing the Yuasa every 18 mths.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

I don't ride in extreme conditions, but I do start my bike in winter and let it get up near operating temp. This keeps the carbs from sludging up and it circulates the oil. It does start at any temperature for me, but it does take throttle manipulation to keep it going sometimes. I do have the Dyna hopped up ignitor and iridium plugs, and I feel like that makes a goodly difference.

S83 trike
Tricycles are Cool

Post by S83 trike »

Now ran the beast for 4 days, no problems what so ever, at start up, tick over or running.
Looks like the german stuff cleaned out some shite in either my carbs or fuel lines..... :clap: :clap:

scootermcq
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: VS1400 + VL1500

Post by scootermcq »

S83 trike wrote:Looks like the german stuff cleaned out some shite in either my carbs or fuel lines..... :clap: :clap:
A little blitzkrieg on the carbs eh?..... nice [emoji41]
Scott