Constant battery drain.

Piltdown911
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1994 Intruder

Re: Constant battery drain.

Post by Piltdown911 »

WintrSol wrote:
geeintruder wrote:
Plus1 wrote:I had the same problem. I even went as far as a new battery. The one in it was older anyway. Just like the old one the battery tested fine but wouldn't hold a charge long. Wound up changing regulator and haven't had a problem since. It might not be your problem but it might be worth a shot. $34 bucks off eBay.
i have mine charging at 13.7V revved, 12.9V idle. but i have the same thing, battery wouldnt hold charge. if i didnt start my bike for a week, it would have enough power to turn the engine. might need to check my wirings. or else im gonna get a battery isolator.
If you suspect a power drain, you can disconnect the negative battery terminal, then connect your multimeter between it and the cable, set to Amps; start at the highest setting, then go down. With the key off, it should read 0.0; if not, start pulling fuses. With all fuses out, if there is still current, look for pinched wires.
Thanks will try that, riding season should be here - snow in the forecast today. ;IDunno:
"Between the velvet lies there's a truth as hard as steel" - Ronnie James Dio

geeintruder
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: vs1400 93

Post by geeintruder »

WintrSol wrote:
geeintruder wrote:
Plus1 wrote:I had the same problem. I even went as far as a new battery. The one in it was older anyway. Just like the old one the battery tested fine but wouldn't hold a charge long. Wound up changing regulator and haven't had a problem since. It might not be your problem but it might be worth a shot. $34 bucks off eBay.
i have mine charging at 13.7V revved, 12.9V idle. but i have the same thing, battery wouldnt hold charge. if i didnt start my bike for a week, it would have enough power to turn the engine. might need to check my wirings. or else im gonna get a battery isolator.
If you suspect a power drain, you can disconnect the negative battery terminal, then connect your multimeter between it and the cable, set to Amps; start at the highest setting, then go down. With the key off, it should read 0.0; if not, start pulling fuses. With all fuses out, if there is still current, look for pinched wires.

yeep, thats what i am going to do on my offday, and also i purchased new multimeter, my old one retired already. thanks for the advice tho.

but yesterday i tried to start, it cranks for a while, then dead, totally dead, no crank, but the starter relay clicks. i measured the voltage, it is good when i pressed the starter button. 12.3V to the starter(due to its been sitting there few days). but the starter did not spin. i was like...omg...time for a used/new starter. i opened up my starter. took it apart...daaamn water ingress. i dried out all, heat the windings and body with a heat gun. let it cool naturally by air..installed it, but still wont spin. i gave it a shock by directing my car battery to the starter pole. it turns. and now it cranks like a champ after i "semi-overhauled" it. need a new seal ring tho..

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

Maybe the starter needs new brushes?
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

Jesserkugelman
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 1996 suzuki intruder vs1400

Post by Jesserkugelman »

i had the same issue with my battery about 4 months ago everything checked out fine when tested but i still woulld have to jump the battery. finally irritated i bought a new battery i havent had to jump it since...knock on wood

geeintruder
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: vs1400 93

Post by geeintruder »

WintrSol wrote:Maybe the starter needs new brushes?
those brushes are still good, its just the stator inside the starter has a very small tolerance, which the water ingress causes it to lock up. after i overhauled the starter, now it cranks like a champ, even after 2 weeks sitting there

Piltdown911
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1994 Intruder

Post by Piltdown911 »

Jesserkugelman wrote:i had the same issue with my battery about 4 months ago everything checked out fine when tested but I still would have to jump the battery. finally irritated I bought a new battery I haven't had to jump it since...knock on wood
Bingo! Same thing, been riding it ever since with no issues. :cheers:
"Between the velvet lies there's a truth as hard as steel" - Ronnie James Dio