Clutch change

Isberg
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Intruder VS 1400 - FZR 1000

Clutch change

Post by Isberg »

Hello guys. New to this forum and kind of new to all that has to do with bikes :) I am currently changing my first clutch on my Intruder 1400 -90. And something is bugging me. I pulled out the old one and was putting the new one back in in the same order. Alltho on the first plate there are these rings. Now, my english skills are not great. But from what i read in the manual these are the spring washer and spring washer seat? On my old clutch it seems the one ring went in first, then a friction plate, then the second ring. Wich seems kind of odd to me. been searching the internet for videos about this but i cant seem to find anything. Videos where people are changing a clutch yes, but no explanation on those rings :p So what i am asking is, should both rings go in first before plates? is there anything else i should know about? I read some soak their friction plates in oil for a day before putting them in. Should i do this as well, or could i just put them in there dry?

Isberg
Tricycles are Cool

Re: Clutch change

Post by Isberg »

Thank you for reply :) Yes i have watched a few more videos and pages online and they all say i must soak them first. According to the manual it seems its enough to just soak them right before installation, but some say soak them over 24-48 hours for longer lifespan. Since i am waiting for the stator cover gasket i might as well do this :)

Alltho, i just saw the one ring. it might be the last one was stuck in there and i didnt see it when taking out the old clutch. but as i cant find any pictures of it can anyone tell me what to look for to identify wich one is wich? As it seems it was installed wrong from previous owner maby i got to correct the rings position in there.

hurleyfrank
Learning My Moped
My Bike: vs1400 2004 still stock

Post by hurleyfrank »

do you have designer clutch spring? prevent slippage and make the clutch more durable a bit....and since you already have your hands in there, its a nice time to do it!
Bike: Suzuki VS1400 Intruder 2004. K&N drop-ins, cobra slip-ons. Living the dream!

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

First in is the wave washer seat: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/161224004 ... -l1000.jpg
Next is the wave washer, which, by its name, should not lie flat, but have some curves.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

Isberg
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Isberg »

Hurley: No i dont think i do. I have no idea if the previous owner installed new springs. But i have thought about it. I might change springs later this season but i think the clutch so far have been very comfirtable. Not felt it slip at all. I did not damage the gasket when removing the lid so i got a new one in spare, so just need oil if i am to do this later :)

Thank you for the picture! This will help. One person at work told me the flat one has to go in second, so seems he was wrong :) he drives dirtbikes so might be diffrent there. But when i get home (at work away from home atm) ill give it a go and can maby add pictures if i struggle more. Thank you so much for replies as my mechanical skills are quite lacking :)

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

Isberg wrote:Thank you so much for replies as my mechanical skills are quite lacking :)
No better way to improve than to just get in there, and hope your mistakes don't bite you. :naughty:
After all, we were all beginners at one time.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

jsblazer1988
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by jsblazer1988 »

WintrSol, on the wave washer... I am having a brain fart that is lasting a few days....does the wave washer sit so the inner diameter of the ring sets flush against the wave washer seat or is that the out diameter of the ring sets flush? Also, do you have any recommendations on the brand of driven rings?

Thanks in advance! [emoji106]
1996 VS 1400 Image ImageImage