VS1400 hard shifting

Tai
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: VS1400 Intruder

VS1400 hard shifting

Post by Tai »

Hello Intruder community,
I would like to ask you for your opinion. After replacing old clutch hose which was leaking I am experiencing problems with shifting to neutral.
With engine shut all is smooth and clear. But when its running...From 2nd gear its easier to find neutral but not as smooth as before. From 1st its hard to find neutral, usually jumping from directly to 2nd.
My first guess was air in the system, so I bleed it again and very thoroughly. I'm 100% sure there isn't a bubble, yet the issue continues. Also I checked master and slave cylinders for wear, they look fine. Idle is at 1050-1100rpm.
My next guess would be engine oil except its brant new Motul 5100 10W140 M2 - here is a change, previously I used older oop non M2 version.

Does anyone have a clue what to check next?

Many thanks in advance, any help is highly appreciated.

Tai

Leckbass
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: 1992 Intruder 1400

Re: VS1400 hard shifting

Post by Leckbass »

I had a similar problem when I first got my 1400.

I lubed the linkage and it improved.

I still sometimes miss neutral going up from 1st. Often times I just got used to going to neutral from 2nd.

I never had any problems shifting into or out of any gears though.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Post by enforcer »

Tai wrote:Hello Intruder community,
I would like to ask you for your opinion. After replacing old clutch hose which was leaking I am experiencing problems with shifting to neutral.
With engine shut all is smooth and clear. But when its running...From 2nd gear its easier to find neutral but not as smooth as before. From 1st its hard to find neutral, usually jumping from directly to 2nd.
My first guess was air in the system, so I bleed it again and very thoroughly. I'm 100% sure there isn't a bubble, yet the issue continues. Also I checked master and slave cylinders for wear, they look fine. Idle is at 1050-1100rpm.
My next guess would be engine oil except its brant new Motul 5100 10W140 M2 - here is a change, previously I used older oop non M2 version.

Does anyone have a clue what to check next?

Many thanks in advance, any help is highly appreciated.

Tai
Look at Designer's bleed method on the main page. There's still air trapped in the banjo area.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

Tai
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: VS1400 Intruder

Post by Tai »

I'm using Designer's method for some time. I've spent 4 hours on it today and I'm pretty sure there is no air there :(

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

If finding neutral is your only issue, things may be fine. Lots of bikes have a hard to find neutral, and sometimes tapping down from second works better than pulling up from first. Intruders by no means are the first bike I ever had to do that to. After about 100 miles on a hot day, I may have to shut down to get neutral! But I've got a well bled system. If you are sure you've bled out the banjos and all, take it out for a long ride, and see. If finding neutral is the only thing that crops out....I reckon you are good.

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by JamesC »

When I'm humming along on my Intruder and really "in the groove", I can shift through the gears without using the clutch. I use the clutch to get from 1st through neutral to 2nd, but from 2nd to 3rd, 4th, and 5th it just melts into gear with a little nudge of the toe. Is this a bad practice? I used to drive a 15 speed tractor trailer and I rarely used the clutch on that beast. Also drove my sports car the same way. It feels good to be so in tune with your machine. I've only been riding motorcycles for 3 1/2 years though, so any thoughts? Thanks.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Post by enforcer »

JamesC wrote:When I'm humming along on my Intruder and really "in the groove", I can shift through the gears without using the clutch. I use the clutch to get from 1st through neutral to 2nd, but from 2nd to 3rd, 4th, and 5th it just melts into gear with a little nudge of the toe. Is this a bad practice? I used to drive a 15 speed tractor trailer and I rarely used the clutch on that beast. Also drove my sports car the same way. It feels good to be so in tune with your machine. I've only been riding motorcycles for 3 1/2 years though, so any thoughts? Thanks.
Nothing wrong, upshifting anyways. Downshifting is much harder to get correct. Always clutch when shifting to neutral.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by JamesC »

Downshifting seems just as smooth, clutch less. With the set up I have, I can brake and downshift with feet on highway pegs.