Oil Leak

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Oil Leak

Post by JamesC »

I've developed a slight oil leak. I just noticed it today. I checked my oil with the bike upright and it read full, so it can't be that bad. It seems to be leaking from under the rear brake pedal, but it's not brake fluid. I'm assuming it's the clutch cover. Does anyone feel there is some other area I should check? Looking under the engine, I see a line down the middle. Is there two halves to the engine? Can I possibly try snugging up all the 8 mm bolts I can get to without dropping the bottom plate? This could not come at a worse time as I am broke, lots of bills lately. If it is the clutch plate, this would be a perfect time to install Designer's springs; but I won't have the money for a couple months. Will it be okay to ride as long as I carry some spare oil till I can afford to do this right? This really sucks! :bang:

NE_FL
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VS1400

Re: Oil Leak

Post by NE_FL »

My Philosophy is don't sweat the small stuff. If it's a "slight oil leak," Oh Well! Nothing is perfect! It's only a machine, after all.
If it gets serious, that's another matter, but meanwhile, enjoy the ride!

My advice is do nothing. Others will probably differ. I will be out riding as so should you. [emoji2] :cheers

Good night. [emoji99]

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Post by enforcer »

JamesC wrote:I've developed a slight oil leak. I just noticed it today. I checked my oil with the bike upright and it read full, so it can't be that bad. It seems to be leaking from under the rear brake pedal, but it's not brake fluid. I'm assuming it's the clutch cover. Does anyone feel there is some other area I should check? Looking under the engine, I see a line down the middle. Is there two halves to the engine? Can I possibly try snugging up all the 8 mm bolts I can get to without dropping the bottom plate? This could not come at a worse time as I am broke, lots of bills lately. If it is the clutch plate, this would be a perfect time to install Designer's springs; but I won't have the money for a couple months. Will it be okay to ride as long as I carry some spare oil till I can afford to do this right? This really sucks! :bang:
I'd just retorque the cover you think it's coming from, then keep an eye on it. I had a sight leak out of the primary on my Harley, did just that and it went away.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test

Post by JamesC »

Okay, thanks for the help with my anxiety first off. I went out this morning and the FLOOD of oil I expected to see was not there. It has stopped leaking. I did notice that it seemed to be leaking from the line that comes from the oil cooler, on the side that loops through the starter cover. I took a 14 mm box wrench and snugged it down. Right under that bolt is one that has a rubber boot on it. Can someone tell me what that is? Oh, and I use Rottella 15W 40 dino oil, if that makes a difference. I will take her out today and see what happens. Wish me luck. Thanks. :clap:

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test

Post by JamesC »

Can someone tell me what is under that black rubber boot next to the oil cooler bolt? That was covered with oil, so that is why I am thinking it was leaking from the oil cooler line at this point.

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test

Post by JamesC »

All right, it appears I have fixed it. I recently swapped out the starter, and maybe that loosened the oil cooler line. I snugged it down this morning, went for a ride, and no more leaks. So far. Jeez, when it comes to my bike the littlest thing just freaks me out. I would still appreciate it if someone can tell me what that is in the picture, covered by a rubber boot.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

It looks like the oil pressure sender switch. But I am not well acquainted with the 1400.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test

Post by JamesC »

You are probably correct, Leachy. I see a wire attached to it.