Turn signals

Vs1400
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2004 Suzuki 1400 intruder

Turn signals

Post by Vs1400 »

The 1400 intruder I bought a few days ago doesn't have working turn signals. When the key is on all the lights are on, except the nuetral light. I have no clue what wires are supposed to go where. Does anyone have a picture or a really simple diagram for people that aren't electrically inclined. I can do the wiring, just don't have a repair book yet. I only have 20 days to get the title transferred.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: Turn signals

Post by Lechy »

Grow old disgracefully young man.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

This is for a 96 but it works perfect on my 99. Don't know if there were any changes made after the 99.

hope it helps
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Vs1400
Tricycles are Cool

Turn signals

Post by Vs1400 »

2004 1400 intruder. None of the turn signals worked when I got this bike, single filament bulbs in the rear. I have hazard lights when activated switch. But still no turn signals. The guy that had this bike before me said the signals where never wired up
What am I missing? Again, I have hazard lights but no turn signal.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Looking at the wiring diagram it appears that you probably have an issue with the switch being hooked up in the headlight housing. Either that or the switch itself is bad.

The hazard and the TS's use the same flasher unit but there is a set of 3 wires that go to the switch that have disconnects in the headlight housing.

Need to check for power at the switch, and power out on each of the terminals. Or at least find the wires in the headlight housing and check there.

The hazard switch taps into both sides and uses the power off of the flasher unit.

The wiring diagram that I have for the 2004 is kinda fuzzy and hard to read the color codes. It appears that the color codes are the same as previous models, prior to the addition of the hazard switch system.

On both the 90 and 96 wiring diagrams there is a light blue wire that is power into the TS switch (from the flasher unit), a black that is the power out to the left TS bulbs and a light green that is power out to the right TS bulbs.

I would check out the wiring in the headlight housing first as it is the most likely culprit.

I posted a color coded wiring diagram in the other thread you posted, you should be able to use it to t-shoot the system.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hurleyfrank
Learning My Moped
My Bike: vs1400 2004 still stock

Post by hurleyfrank »

Good Morning!

i'm no police here, but it would be better if you kept one problem in one thread; there is no reason to post a second thread for exactly the same trouble you had at first^^

Follow what Herb told you; he is right AFIK.

if you got the Hazard flashing everywhere, you're not missing alot to get the blinker working!

good luck with that!
Bike: Suzuki VS1400 Intruder 2004. K&N drop-ins, cobra slip-ons. Living the dream!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Just curious, have you had any luck finding the problem???

Vs1400
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Vs1400 »

Got it all sorted out during the holidays, been riding almost every day thanks to everyone.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Vs1400 wrote:Got it all sorted out during the holidays, been riding almost every day thanks to everyone.
just curious about what you found. Kinda nice to know for the next time this type of issue comes up.

pmhearns12
Learning My Moped
My Bike: Suzuki s83

Post by pmhearns12 »

It's curious. I just bought a 2005 s83 Boulevard. I'm assuming the bikes are the same. But all the lights turn on, bike runs well, it's only got 4800 miles. All the running lights are on but no relay. Neither turn signals nor hazards flicker. Are all 4 supposed to be illuminated all the time? I will look at the service manual and see if I can track down the relay..

Edit, the rear amber lights do NOT turn on

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

pmhearns12 wrote:It's curious. I just bought a 2005 s83 Boulevard. I'm assuming the bikes are the same. But all the lights turn on, bike runs well, it's only got 4800 miles. All the running lights are on but no relay. Neither turn signals nor hazards flicker. Are all 4 supposed to be illuminated all the time? I will look at the service manual and see if I can track down the relay..

Do you get any extra lights when the turn signal or hazard switches are turned on? If not it is probably the relay. In order to tell if the front TS lights are on you will need to watch the lights for getting brighter when the TS or hazard switches are turned on.

All 4 lights will only turn on when the hazard switch is on. When the TS switch is turned to on side, only the 2 on that side will work. The 2 front lights are running and TS lights, so the 2 in front are on whenever the ignition switch is on. The rear lights are only TS lights and are only on with the TS or hazard switches.

If only the rear turn signal lights don't turn on, they are either disconnected or have burned out bulbs. If 1 bulb quits the other light on that side will only go steady when the TS is turned on, the relay won't flash. You need to trace the wires back from the TS stalks and find out where they are disconnected. Also keep in mind that these lights have a ground wire that goes into the main ground wire for the electrical system. Both of the rear TS lights plug into the ground wire under the rear seat.

Use the wiring diagram on this thread to trace the wire colors.

pmhearns12
Learning My Moped
My Bike: Suzuki s83

Post by pmhearns12 »

Herb wrote:
pmhearns12 wrote:It's curious. I just bought a 2005 s83 Boulevard. I'm assuming the bikes are the same. But all the lights turn on, bike runs well, it's only got 4800 miles. All the running lights are on but no relay. Neither turn signals nor hazards flicker. Are all 4 supposed to be illuminated all the time? I will look at the service manual and see if I can track down the relay..

Do you get any extra lights when the turn signal or hazard switches are turned on? If not it is probably the relay. In order to tell if the front TS lights are on you will need to watch the lights for getting brighter when the TS or hazard switches are turned on.

All 4 lights will only turn on when the hazard switch is on. When the TS switch is turned to on side, only the 2 on that side will work. The 2 front lights are running and TS lights, so the 2 in front are on whenever the ignition switch is on. The rear lights are only TS lights and are only on with the TS or hazard switches.

If only the rear turn signal lights don't turn on, they are either disconnected or have burned out bulbs. If 1 bulb quits the other light on that side will only go steady when the TS is turned on, the relay won't flash. You need to trace the wires back from the TS stalks and find out where they are disconnected. Also keep in mind that these lights have a ground wire that goes into the main ground wire for the electrical system. Both of the rear TS lights plug into the ground wire under the rear seat.

Yeah I know what's supposed to come on and when lol. But that helps, ignition on... only the front lights come on and rears aren't. I hit the turn signal and nothing, hazards get nothing. There is no faint flicker and no indicator in the indicator panel. So you would then agree, it's the relay... ?

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

pmhearns12 wrote:
Herb wrote:

Yeah I know what's supposed to come on and when lol. But that helps, ignition on... only the front lights come on and rears aren't. I hit the turn signal and nothing, hazards get nothing. There is no faint flicker and no indicator in the indicator panel. So you would then agree, it's the relay... ?
Probably the relay, or, have you checked the fuse? Should be, I think, 2nd up from bottom. The relay is under the rear seat, a 2 wire plug on it with a brown and a light blue wires.