Front Carb overflowing

OldMan
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 1993 Vs 1400 Intruder

Front Carb overflowing

Post by OldMan »

G'day all.

I'm getting reday to sync the carbs...

Can you help me work through some of the possible causes of my front carb overflowing out the top breather. I have just clean and jetted the carbs.
Obviously, the float is malfunctioning somehow, but not sure how. Should I bend the metal tab by small increments to ensure the plunger seals the flow of fuel?

Thanks for any help offered. I'm learning the hard way...
Blessed with a great wife, 7 kids, an Aussie Bulldog and a VS 1400 (Joe).

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Front Carb overflowing

Post by Herb »

Pull the float off and pull the needle and see what it looks like. Check the spring loaded pusher for proper operation. If it doesn't move freely it can be stuck pushed in which would raise the fuel level.

Check the seat and the needle with a magnifying glass for anything worn or pitted, or even a small amount of dirt. This can prevent the valve from sealing completely.

Adjust the float according to specs. Don't try to adjust it to stop the fuel flow, it will end up too low and the cylinder won't run. Voice of experience, I tried that when I was about 14, didn't work worth crap then, won't now.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

OldMan
Learning My Moped

Post by OldMan »

Thanks, bloke.

I have used two different needles (had a carb rebuild kit) including all new parts.
I will reset the float with the micrometer and see how that goes tomorrow.
Thanks for the checklist.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

Think of it like a toilet water tank,--fils up and stops. But if its over flowing any adjustment wont help because it is leaking passed the needle.

You mean a vernier not a micrometer. You can cut a piece of cardboard out of a corn flake packet with a gap of what ever float level you want. Or a kids compass or anything like that.

Looks nice and clean in there.

OldMan
Learning My Moped

Post by OldMan »

Yes, I sonic cleaned both carbs - perhaps in that process of disassembly and reassembly, I may have messed up the float level.
Ok, problem fixed. Seems to have been the float measurement was out. Got it working nicely at 9.5mm.
Now, to sync the carbs and get rid of the popping with the A/F mixture. Thanks for the assistance and feedback.

OldMan
Learning My Moped

Post by OldMan »

Carbs are synced, but there is a bit of popping.
Just going to chase down the joints on the new exhaust because that seems the most likely suspect, at this stage.

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 03 VS1400

Post by m2h »

Hi if you are getting some popping but it idles ok but pops when you give it throttle sounds like its too lean. What did you do to the jetting? Did you open up the air filters? if so you've more air than the jetting can handle. Try raising the needles one groove if you have the grooved type or a small washer under the clip if not. That will make a difference some. Playing with jets can be a challange bro. [emoji2] Have fun. I've uncorked my 1400 so i know you will :cheers:
M2H
" Old Guys Rule!" :rock:

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

m2h wrote:Hi if you are getting some popping but it idles ok but pops when you give it throttle sounds like its too lean. What did you do to the jetting? Did you open up the air filters? if so you've more air than the jetting can handle. Try raising the needles one groove if you have the grooved type or a small washer under the clip if not. That will make a difference some. Playing with jets can be a challange bro. [emoji2] Have fun. I've uncorked my 1400 so i know you will :cheers:
Sorry M2h im going to disagree 100%

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/showt ... -different

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 03 VS1400

Post by m2h »

Fred wrote:
m2h wrote:Hi if you are getting some popping but it idles ok but pops when you give it throttle sounds like its too lean. What did you do to the jetting? Did you open up the air filters? if so you've more air than the jetting can handle. Try raising the needles one groove if you have the grooved type or a small washer under the clip if not. That will make a difference some. Playing with jets can be a challange bro. [emoji2] Have fun. I've uncorked my 1400 so i know you will :cheers:
Sorry M2h im going to disagree 100%

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/showt ... -different
Hi Fred hey yeah thats good info and i do understand a bit about the carb and how it works. I was just relating a bit about the journey thru my uncork process. I played with jets til i was sick of pulling the carbs off. In the end the popping dissapeared the minute i raised the needles. Thats why i asked about jets and filters. As you obviously know more air flow needs more fuel and a freeflowing exhaust for the whole thing to work.
Cheers
:cheers:
M2H
" Old Guys Rule!" :rock:

OldMan
Learning My Moped

Post by OldMan »

Got it all sorted [thanks for your help and encouragement]. It was fiddlier than I imagined and took some messing around to get the right balance.

Took the baffles out and am well pleased with the result.