I'm afraid of the answer to this....

Werky123
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1995 suzuki intruder vs1400

I'm afraid of the answer to this....

Post by Werky123 »

Hello everyone!
I just recently got my first motorcycle after having my license for 10 years.
Got a 1995 intruder 1400, as i wanted a bike big enough i wouldn't go looking in a few years because of engine size.
Anyway, the carbs were way off. Part of it was the throttle cables were way off, front would hit the stop and rear was still at half. I rolled the throttle to max and adjusted the throttle cable until both front and back hit the stop at the same time, then ran the engine. Much inproved. [emoji2] Left everything apart in the driveway and went for lunch.
I came back an hour later, started and ran it until at temp for the carb sync, the shut it off and hooked up the carb gauges. Synched the carbs, much better. I shut it down, and started putting it back together.
I decided to check its startup and running one more time before reassembly. Rolled the throttle again, just to double check the throttles still hit the stops at the same time(i know, im a little OCD sometimes).
Then i started the bike, and it revved right up to max. Turns out the rear carb throttle stuck on full when i double checked the stops. It stuck on a damn maple seed from the tree next to the driveway, and i didnt notice! :bonk: Throttle woulnt move(damn trees!!! :hellfire: ) so i hit the kill switch, it shut down, and there was a really loud backfire, sounded like a gunshot, made my ears ring.
I got the throttle unstuck, and started it again. So now i have smoke, and it looks loke oil in the rear cylinder exhaust. I took it around the block, and it started to constantly backfire, then died. Thankfully my block is less than a half mile, and i coasted home.
So finally: i think i really screwed up the valves, but not sure. I am afraid i am going to have to take it to a shop to get fixed. Anyone with any ideas or advise? Or an idea of the cost to get fixed? :confused:

Thanks.
Heath

Werky123
Tricycles are Cool

Re: I'm afraid of the answer to this....

Post by Werky123 »

Oh yeah, can anyone tell me where the turn sognal relay is? I cant find it and want to switch to an electronic one.

Thanks again,

Heath

Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Yamaha FZ-09 Suzuki S83

Post by Spacecoast »

Did you by chance have new oiled foam filters in place...and the excess oil might be from them? Are you sure the bike is getting fuel when it stalled? How long was it at high rev...the backfire was just gas firing inside the exhaust system.

Werky123
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Werky123 »

The air filters have been in te bike for about a year according the previous owner. They looked ok, wet but not dripping when i checked so i didnt change/clean them yet. It was at full rev for about 5 seconds, back fire happened after i shut it off, when the engine was coming down from full rev. Looking back, i probably should have tried the throttle again before killing it. The oil in the rear cylinder pipe is engine oil, and im getting oil smoke from the exhaust for it. As for fuel, it was running fine before the backfire, now it bakfires constantly from the rear cylinder then dies.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Check the diaphram on the carb slide. Make sure the backfire didn't tear it.

Seems strange that it dies, these will run on one cylinder.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

VS1400INTRUDER
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 97 1400 + 800 Intruders

Post by VS1400INTRUDER »

pull the pugs out and look at them, try swapping them front to rear or just put new pugs in.
:cheers:

Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test

Post by Spacecoast »

I think these bikes have a rev limiter and so if true I would think worst case with the valves would be minor floating. I would be more concerned with breaking maybe a piston ring. You did remember to turn back on the fuel tank petcock?

Werky123
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Werky123 »

Fuel petcock was on, jput in new plugs before the carb sync. After thinking about it, im worried a broke a valve or someting, or the cam shaft, or maybe soemthing worse. Just before it died it felt almost like one cylinders were figting the other. I just dont really know enough to diagnose it myself. I think its going to have to go to a shop, and depending on what they say, i'll either have it fixed or maybe swap the engine for a good one.

Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test

Post by Spacecoast »

Like it was mentioned, check the carbs. Prior to taking it to the shop, pull the plugs and do a simple compression check on each cylinder. Be sure to open the throttle so that the cylinders can breath. If you have good compression then most likely no engine damage. And if one cylinder is low, then yeah there's a problem. Unlike the video below, you don't have to do both cylinders at the same time, but each individual test be sure to open the carbs so that it can breath properly. Record and compare the results between the cylinders. Most auto shops have a tool loan.

VS1400INTRUDER
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 97 1400 + 800 Intruders

Post by VS1400INTRUDER »

Spacecoast wrote:Like it was mentioned, check the carbs. Prior to taking it to the shop, pull the plugs and do a simple compression check on each cylinder. Be sure to open the throttle so that the cylinders can breath. If you have good compression then most likely no engine damage. And if one cylinder is low, then yeah there's a problem. Unlike the video below, you don't have to do both cylinders at the same time, but each individual test be sure to open the carbs so that it can breath properly. Record and compare the results between the cylinders. Most auto shops have a tool loan.
+1 [emoji106]

Werky123
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Werky123 »

Ok, rear cylinder really low compression. Had Had a freind tell me pour an ounce or two of oil into the cylinder and do it again, and if it improved it was the piston rings. No improvement, so its most likely the valves. Same friend said it was most likely it was the exhaust valve as it pops constantly out the pipe. Either way, not good. Called a bunch of shops, none of the reputable ones near me will do it before fall, too busy. Also too expensive. So im gonna swap it out with a used one, and rebuild this one on my own over time. Thanks for the advice evyone.

Werky123
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Werky123 »

Just an update on this. After the comments on carbs and fuel supply, i checked again. Fuel petcock is open, carbs are fine, but i managed to pinch the fuel lines when i put the tank back. Not sure how i did that. Unpinched them, now no more backfireing and engine stutter. However, the rear cylinder still burns oil, and the exhaust still sounds way off and has oil going into it. I also noticed the rear cylinder exhaust now heats up faster than the front, so i think my buddy is correct in that the exhaust valve is damaged and not sealing completely. So still gonna pull the motor.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Before you pull it, try a carb sync one more time...JMO.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Give the de-comp system a check also, a bit off the wall, but better to try to eliminate as much as you can before spending beer tokens.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

What ever you come up with, let us know what is wrong with your engine. Always good to know what is wrong and how it happened. There have been others with similar oil consumption on the rear cylinder. Really interested in what is wrong with yours.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Prodigal_Sun
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 03 FXDWG

Post by Prodigal_Sun »

Werky123 wrote:Ok, rear cylinder really low compression. Had Had a freind tell me pour an ounce or two of oil into the cylinder and do it again, and if it improved it was the piston rings. No improvement, so its most likely the valves. Same friend said it was most likely it was the exhaust valve as it pops constantly out the pipe. Either way, not good. Called a bunch of shops, none of the reputable ones near me will do it before fall, too busy. Also too expensive. So im gonna swap it out with a used one, and rebuild this one on my own over time. Thanks for the advice evyone.
Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about. The rings are there to create compression and scrape the oil off the side of the cylinder wall. If you have low compression and oil in your exhaust you rings likely failed somehow in your blowup, or you put a hole in your piston... Oil should NOT get past the rings. period . If oil is coming in from the valve, it's going to be past the valve seals, that usually results in a big plume of smoke on start up, but doesn't affect compression...
:evil: [emoji56]

I have a lot of opinions, some of them professional, some of them educated, most of them I just pulled out of my @$$

Some of my best stupidity is largely self-inflicted. :roll:

Werky123
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Werky123 »

Prodigal_Sun wrote:
Werky123 wrote:Ok, rear cylinder really low compression. Had Had a freind tell me pour an ounce or two of oil into the cylinder and do it again, and if it improved it was the piston rings. No improvement, so its most likely the valves. Same friend said it was most likely it was the exhaust valve as it pops constantly out the pipe. Either way, not good. Called a bunch of shops, none of the reputable ones near me will do it before fall, too busy. Also too expensive. So im gonna swap it out with a used one, and rebuild this one on my own over time. Thanks for the advice evyone.
Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about. The rings are there to create compression and scrape the oil off the side of the cylinder wall. If you have low compression and oil in your exhaust you rings likely failed somehow in your blowup, or you put a hole in your piston... Oil should NOT get past the rings. period . If oil is coming in from the valve, it's going to be past the valve seals, that usually results in a big plume of smoke on start up, but doesn't affect compression...
Its possible my friend is wrong, as he is an auto mechanic and not a motorcycle one.
If anyone is an experienced mechanic, feel free to correct what follows.
This is how it was explained to me:

If the exhaust valve is not sealing, burning gases from the combustion will go out that opening on the power stroke, and also cause lower compression as the combustion chamber is not sealed. And make the xhaust sound weird. I inderstand this can be caused by damage to the valve or almost anything in the cylinder head that is connected to the valve.

Oil cerculating through the cylinder head can get into the combustion chamber and exhaust when a valve guide is damaged, or something else is wrong in or with the head.

As for testing compression, I read on a couple of forums that adding oil to the top of the piston gives a better seal and would improve the compression if it was the rings. Shouldnt it smoke When cold as well as hot if the rings are bad? Given that my bike only starts to smoke after its warm enough to unchoke it, supposedly the problem is most likely something else, such as damaged valve guides or a crack in the head letting oil through when everything expands. I will give you that it could still be the piston or rings. I just dont know.

I bought a used motor today, and am going to swap it out this coming week. I hope.
Once i have it out and the time, i am going to dissassemble it and rebuild to find definitivly what went wrong. I will try and keep this updated with what i find.

lonerider
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Post by lonerider »

If you are going to disassemble the motor and rebuild it, why buy a used motor? Is there any guarantee that it will be any better than the one you have now?

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Actually, your friend is pretty much spot on as to what is probably wrong. The issue is why it happened. These bikes won't over rev, so it has to be something that happened when you shut it off and it backfired.

Just really curious as to what is exactly wrong.