Carburetor removal

RoadHammer91VS
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1991 Suzuki VS1400

Carburetor removal

Post by RoadHammer91VS »

Anyone familiar with taking the carbs off a VS1400? I'm reading the manual and it suggests doing it with the sync cable and fuel line still connected but they're run under a welded cross brace on the frame. Hoping the guy I'm taking them too can do what he needs without unhooking the sync cable and the carbs will be good or only need a tiny adjustment when I reinstall. :bang:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Carburetor removal

Post by Herb »

My sync cable ran over the brace but the choke and throttle cables ran under it. You need to disconnect the throttle cable if you are going to bench the carbs.

The cables do come out of the splitter so they can be left on the carbs and not disturb the settings.

On page 5-13 of the manual, that is pinned at the top of this forum, is a picture of how to disassemble the throttle cable splitter. Just don't lose the little plastic block and be sure to put it back together correctly.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Yamaha FZ-09 Suzuki S83

Post by Spacecoast »

I wish someone would make some good DETAILED Y-Tube videos on the Intruder/S83 carb setup, how to remove, how to sync, etc, because I can't imagine how difficult carb work on this bike might be. I haven't found any decent videos yet except perhaps one that shows lifting the tank and closing the petcock, which is the easy part.

I don't have the tank pulled, but I can't even trace my choke line to the rear carb to try in order to lubricate it. Within the carb/tank area there are a bunch of fuel hoses, throttle cables, sync cable, de-comp cables, choke cables, wire harness, plug wires, the carbs themselves, front air box (did I miss anything?)...all packed into a cramped space under a small fuel tank and bike frame. If there was ever 20 lbs of crap packed into a 5 lbs bag, we found it.
Hoping the guy I'm taking them too can do what he needs without unhooking the sync cable and the carbs will be good or only need a tiny adjustment when I reinstall.
If they need any kind of adjustment due to sync, does it matter if it's small or large? Maybe take a close photo of the adjustment area of the cable so that you can count the exposed threads and re-attach in like manner?

subin
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2007 s83

Post by subin »

When I re-jet mine (with great help from Mark HDI), I believe that we removed both carbs from all the cables. If I were to do this again, I would take photos on how everything is routed (hoping that the current ones are correct). Putting the rear carb back on the boot was difficult and remember to route the choke (or whatever they call it) correctly, otherwise it would not function.
Once you have the throttle cables connected, you would need to adjust them according to the manual, then sync the carbs.

Here is a video for VS750, which should be similar to the VS1400. This is only part 1 and you can find part 2 on the side menu. I have not viewed these videos.

Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Yamaha FZ-09 Suzuki S83

Post by Spacecoast »

Good videos, but they made me want to scream. What was Suzuki thinking in making this bike so skinny....and I wanted to tell that guy to remove that hose, and loosen those coils, etc. Good luck on getting all that stuff back together just like it was.

And maybe I don't understand the sync cable, but I find it to be a stupid concept. Why not have on the front carb a simple throttle stop screw, just like on the rear carb, so that a cable is not involved. Anyone know why they did this?

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Spacecoast wrote:Good videos, but they made me want to scream. What was Suzuki thinking in making this bike so skinny....and I wanted to tell that guy to remove that hose, and loosen those coils, etc. Good luck on getting all that stuff back together just like it was.

And maybe I don't understand the sync cable, but I find it to be a stupid concept. Why not have on the front carb a simple throttle stop screw, just like on the rear carb, so that a cable is not involved. Anyone know why they did this?
To drive americans crazy...
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Jesserkugelman
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 1996 suzuki intruder vs1400

Post by Jesserkugelman »

Herb wrote:
Spacecoast wrote:Good videos, but they made me want to scream. What was Suzuki thinking in making this bike so skinny....and I wanted to tell that guy to remove that hose, and loosen those coils, etc. Good luck on getting all that stuff back together just like it was.

you got that right i think they sit around the design table and think of the most fd up ways they can put parts that need changed regularly

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Jesserkugelman wrote:
Herb wrote:

you got that right i think they sit around the design table and think of the most fd up ways they can put parts that need changed regularly
While there are some issues with the 1400, try working on an ST1100 Honda. That thing takes 45 min to an hour to remove and replace the body work just to get down to the carbs, then add in the massive amount of plumbing associated with the carbs and a weird shaped idle air screw that requires a special tool, that costs $17, to adjust them.

Believe me, there are a lot of worse bikes to work on out there.

1sttightwad
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 2008 Suzuki s83

Post by 1sttightwad »

When you take a frame that in my mind was NEVER designed to be a 1400 they had to cram all of the needed parts into the same area. When you go from 750 to 1400 something has to give and sadly it is room to work on it let alone find the thing you need to work on. Trying to remember what you did to get to the part I would recommend using your cell phone camera on a tri-pod to record what was done.. I have done that on old guns that have no manuals for disassembly. It will save a lot of hair pulling out and screaming.. When I was teaching marksmanship the hardest thing to remember is that not all people know what I know and to NOT assume they have any knowledge so I MUST not skip ANY aspect. .. this is one of the main faults on many You tube videos. AND THE SERVICE MANUALS. Dave

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

The 1400 frames are quite different from the 750/800's. To remove the carbs from a 750 the enrichment cables need to be removed (a real bitch to remove and replace) Then the carbs have to be wiggled about until the sweet spot in the frame and carb is found to pull it through and out, then the throttle and idle cables can be disconnected. To remove the rear carb the air box needs to be removed.
Dunno if it's the same for Big Brother.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Lechy wrote:The 1400 frames are quite different from the 750/800's. To remove the carbs from a 750 the enrichment cables need to be removed (a real bitch to remove and replace) Then the carbs have to be wiggled about until the sweet spot in the frame and carb is found to pull it through and out, then the throttle and idle cables can be disconnected. To remove the rear carb the air box needs to be removed.
Dunno if it's the same for Big Brother.
[emoji41]
It isn't...