Keeps blowing main fuse

Jesserkugelman
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 1996 suzuki intruder vs1400

Keeps blowing main fuse

Post by Jesserkugelman »

I keep blowing the main fuse the second I turn the key on any thoughts as to where to look to troubleshoot...I just reinstalled the engine and I want to fire her up but obviously I'm overlooking something and I'm getting p.o. If you know what I mean :hellfire:...thanks in advance

Jesserkugelman
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 1996 suzuki intruder vs1400

Re: Keeps blowing main fuse

Post by Jesserkugelman »

I removed everything to repaint since i had to remove the engine for a gasket i figured kill 2 birds with 1 stone in doing so i discovered some wires needed replaced do to being messed up... if anyone knows how the wires to starter relay go im pretty sure it correct but who knows

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Download the manual and look through the wiring diagrams. Just a quick check would be to trace the cable from the ignition switch to the fuse box to see if you have trapped it.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Check things like the kickstand switch wiring. Very easy to pinch/short these wires. Basically, you are going to have to check every inch of the wiring for a pinched wire, or a wire accidently plugged into the ground circuit. Keep in mind that the ground circuit is black with a white tracer and if ANY OTHER color is plugged into a B/W wire it is a direct short to ground.

Of course you could put a jumper on the main fuse and when wires start smoking you will know where the problem is.

The last sentence is tongue in cheek and a last resort, pissed off, fuck it attitude, action. Definitely not recommended if you intend to ever use the bike again.

I have been there and done that. Bad idea....
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.