HELP! 1993 Intruder VS800 handlebar replacement

pinkfloydgm
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: VS800 intruder

HELP! 1993 Intruder VS800 handlebar replacement

Post by pinkfloydgm »

Cracked Handelbars at wire inlet between risers. Getting handelbars off with wires though looks impossible! Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated!

Lechy
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: HELP! 1993 Intruder VS800 handlebar replacement

Post by Lechy »

I don't know if this will help. Trace the wires to the connector, make a colour coded drawing as to matching wires on both sides of the connector. You will need a very fine jeweller’s flat screwdriver to remove the pins from the connector then you should be able to pull the wires through the bars.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

All of the motorcycles I have worked on have the small end of connectors (usually bullet connectors) on the handlebar side so that they can be disconnected and pulled back through the bars. I have never seen a bike with the wires ran through the bars that they couldn't be pulled back through the bars. HOWEVER, they do require that you use a snake wire to get them back through the new bar.

Word of caution, make sure you run the wires through from the correct side, when putting it back together. I did one and went to put the bars on, had the controls on the wrong side. Working on bikes a 1 am after a 6 pack is not a good idea.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

pinkfloydgm
Tricycles are Cool

Post by pinkfloydgm »

The wires are soldiered on the switches and the plastic appears too larger to snake through the bars. Was wondering if anyone actually did it on a VS800?

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

pinkfloydgm wrote:The wires are soldiered on the switches and the plastic appears too larger to snake through the bars. Was wondering if anyone actually did it on a VS800?
The wires disconnect inside the headlight bucket and they pull out with the switches still attached. It is a pain in the butt getting them through the bars but they always have fit. Keep in mind that there are actually 2 wire bundles, 1 for each of the switch assemblies.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

pinkfloydgm
Tricycles are Cool

Post by pinkfloydgm »

Thanks Herb. The wires come out of the bottom of the bars and run under the tank. Do you believe they come back out and connect at the headlight? I guess remove the tank and see? Thoughts?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

pinkfloydgm wrote:Thanks Herb. The wires come out of the bottom of the bars and run under the tank. Do you believe they come back out and connect at the headlight? I guess remove the tank and see? Thoughts?
Pull the side covers, then the seat and tank.
Trace the wires under the tank and you can disconnect all the bullet connectors there. the wires are color coded for easy re- assembly.
Open both swith boxes and pull the whole harness through the risers and outward.
On the new bars, run a snake and feed each harness thru from the grip end.

The only connectors in the headlight are the headlamp and front signals...no need to go there.

pinkfloydgm
Tricycles are Cool

Post by pinkfloydgm »

Thanks navigator thats what I needed to know!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

navigator wrote:
pinkfloydgm wrote:Thanks Herb. The wires come out of the bottom of the bars and run under the tank. Do you believe they come back out and connect at the headlight? I guess remove the tank and see? Thoughts?
Pull the side covers, then the seat and tank.
Trace the wires under the tank and you can disconnect all the bullet connectors there. the wires are color coded for easy re- assembly.
Open both swith boxes and pull the whole harness through the risers and outward.
On the new bars, run a snake and feed each harness thru from the grip end.

The only connectors in the headlight are the headlamp and front signals...no need to go there.
Sorry about the bad information. EVERY bike I have ever worked on had all of the wiring connectors, for the handlebar and speedo/tach, connect inside the headlight assembly. Never having worked on an 800 I figured that it would be the same as every other bike I have owned or worked on.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

No biggie Herb.
pinkfloydgm, you will need to remove the front tank mount to rewire, use a hand held impact screwdriver to remove the screws so they don't strip.
When you remove the handlebar weights, DO NOT remove the screw. Just loosen the screw and slide the whole assembly out. Removing the screws leaves half of the stuff in the bars. :bang:

I have a set of buckhorn bars (internal wiring) off a '98 VS800 if you are interested...$20 plus shipping.

pinkfloydgm
Tricycles are Cool

Post by pinkfloydgm »

No harm no foul Herb! Appreciate any help.

Navigator had good info. Wires are out. I am interested in the bars.