Lot of steering "play".

ogwutang
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1988 Intruder VS750

Lot of steering "play".

Post by ogwutang »

1988 Intruder 750. 8k miles.
First off, I want to thank EVERYONE on this forum for helping me get this bike back on the road! It's been a garage ornament for about 10 yrs.

Now for the problem (not problem?). It seems to me that the handlebars have a lot of play. Kind of like from the triple tree down is taking a split second to comprehend what the handlebars are doing. I replaced the rubber mounts (cushions) thinking that the rubber is very old and could be causing it, but the new ones aren't much better. Any suggestions? I have newer bikes and none of them have any play whatsoever. Is this just a Suzuki cruiser thing?

Thank you for your time.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: Lot of steering "play".

Post by hillsy »

Are the handlebars moving in the mounts? They shouldn't move a lot or be loose in anyway (the rubbers should grip them pretty tight).

If not, then you will need to lift up the front end and check for play from the axle up.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Lift the front and see if you have fore and aft play in the neck bearings.
You may have to remove the front wheel to accurately determine this.
If so, you can loosen the top tree pivot nut and take up some slack with the spanner nut underneath it.
The bars should flop off center slowly and smoothly.
Its a matter of feel, too tight, no good. too loose, no good.

ogwutang
Tricycles are Cool

Post by ogwutang »

If you turn it all the way to lock, you can push the handlebars passed lock a bit. The ends of the handlebars will move another inch or so. The neck is stationary.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

That sounds like a bushing issue, where they clamp to the tree. If you replaced that rubber, the only other interface is in the upper riser.
It has a two piece riser...Perhaps a broken bolt between the riser stay and the lower handlebar holder.
Pull the upper handlebar clamps and bars and take a look at the bolts underneath.

ogwutang
Tricycles are Cool

Post by ogwutang »

I pulled the entire handlebar assembly apart. The bolts connecting to the risers are fine and snug. The only thing I can think of is the new bushings were faulty? They are definitely tighter than the 30 yr old ones I replaced, but you can see the risers move in them. It seems like the bottom riser nut needs to be tighter, but the nut is as tight as it will go.
Maybe I should invest in urethane bushings, if they make them.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

If the bolts run out of thread, add some washers so the nut will compress the rubber.

ogwutang
Tricycles are Cool

Post by ogwutang »

Huh. That did the trick. Took out at least 90% or so of the play. There is no room for the safety pins, but I snugged it down right. Thanks Nav, and everyone else that chimed in! Now I may not die!