Okay, how reasonable (or crazy ) is this idea?

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Re: Okay, how reasonable (or crazy ) is this idea?

Post by hillsy v2 »

Over here these are called Anderson Connectors:

They are a standard type of plug to connect 12v solar and power to caravans / camping trailers, etc. You can find them at any camping / outdoor / auto store. Not sure if you have the same in the US but there would be something similar in 50A rating.

Connect the +ve to the starter relay (battery side) and the -ve to frame ground then you don't have to muck around trying to get at the battery. You can also use it as a battery tender feed.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Yup, then you just need a convenient place to stash it.

DonGee
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2005 Boulevard S50

Post by DonGee »

Ah, now those I've heard of.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

DonGee wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:33 pm
Ah, now those I've heard of.
And they work well for passing the large amount of electricity that happens when you use the Jump Start Unit.

The item I showed you gives you both the Male connector (grey) and the Female connector (white) you will need. :space: I used about Three Feet of 12 gauge Wire on the Wire from the Battery to under the Seat. :space: Substantially more than you will get with the retailed Anderson Connectors you see in the picture above. :space: Then it's a simple matter of soldering on the Grey (male) connector and you are "in business". :ShitGrinandThumb:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Well the one I posted willl take 6 to 12 gage wire, any length you like.
The larger the wire, the better.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

navigator wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:51 am
Well the one I posted willl take 6 to 12 gage wire, any length you like.
The larger the wire, the better.
Yes, those will indeed do as you mention. :space: I was referring to the Anderson Connectors in this message:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14061&start=11

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

DonGee
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2005 Boulevard S50

Post by DonGee »

The safest way is to remove the left side cover and attach the hot to the solenoid, No arcing, sparking, and you use the normal starting procedure.

navigator, can you clarify this, please? After you remove the side cover, are you saying to clamp the red jumper cable to the positive on the starter solenoid as the person in that video did to charge the battery? How is that safer than clamping to the bolt on the positive terminal of the battery? I assume you still need to clamp the negative clamp to a bare metal part of the frame. If it's as safe (or safer), why wouldn't that be a common method to jump start a vehicle with an inconveniently located battery?

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

The starter solenoid is simply far easier to acces than the battery terminals. By rights you should always jump a battery at the terminals but if you cant access then running the charge through the main (starter) cable is the next best option.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

DonGee wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:11 pm
The safest way is to remove the left side cover and attach the hot to the solenoid, No arcing, sparking, and you use the normal starting procedure.

navigator, can you clarify this, please? After you remove the side cover, are you saying to clamp the red jumper cable to the positive on the starter solenoid as the person in that video did to charge the battery? How is that safer than clamping to the bolt on the positive terminal of the battery? I assume you still need to clamp the negative clamp to a bare metal part of the frame. If it's as safe (or safer), why wouldn't that be a common method to jump start a vehicle with an inconveniently located battery?
Jumping it through the starter may not be the best way but it is easy. I wouldn't do it in my driveway but it is quick and easy if you are stranded in a parking lot. All you have to do is pull back the rubber cap covering the positive lead on the started and clamp the positive cable to it then touch, don't clamp, the negative to a ground. If you are using a car as the slave don't start the car.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Since a stated goal is safe and easy jump-starting,...wouldn't having the 12 gauge wired connector be Right there?

I mean,...you won't even need to take of anything,...not the Seat nor Side Cover,..Just pull out the Connector tucked just under the side of the Seat (above the Frame Rail) connect it,..... and so as the Jump Start unit says. :dunno: :space: No tools....No getting on the Ground, just Plug-and-Play,....so to speak, that is.

And yes,....the White connector is safe. :space: The Metal Terminals are recessed and held tight inside the Plastic Connector and the access "slot" to touch them is smaller than the width of a pencil lead. :space: I've had this installed for about 9-1/2 years now,. never a problem with grounding out.