From "New Members" grandmalette Thank you post

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

From "New Members" grandmalette Thank you post

Post by FallenAngel »

grandmalette wrote:Thank you both.

Designer, probably sound advice. But since the bike is stripped down to just a motor and frame there is something i have noticed. The main harness is an issue. However, nearly every component is hardwired and connects to it. Replacement of the main harness is an easy out. But purchasing all the components that connect to it for replanement of the companion connector is a hefty sum. What be your solution for that issue?

Something I have yet to locate for the bike is a set of forward controls. Thus far not easilly located for a vs700. Any ideas/suggestions are welcome.

D&K
Depending on how bad your harness is and if you cant locate a replacement and you have the harness out this is what I would do.

Get a peace of plywood the length and width of the harness
Lay the harness on the plywood and on the wood mark each component and secure it to the plywood making sure the harness is a straight as possible.
It helps to remove any tape or looms and warm up the wire. I use a couple finish nails at each connector and pigtail, tapped into the wood. This helps to insure the proper length of wire and secures your project.
If your feeling real ambitious and can get new connectors of the proper type Get a Terminal Removal Tool like this set

And separate the connectors from the covers. These tools are easy to use if you can identify the proper tip. I have over 70 different types

Or if getting new connection is not an option you can test your current connections and cut the factory wire saving as much of the factory wire as possible. This will help to insure proper diagnostics using the factory diagrams
And use Non-Insulated Butt Connectors with shrink wrap to keep your harness clean. Insulated butt connectors are UGLY and makes your harness look lumpy
I used to cut aluminum modeling tubes before I found these

Something that I learned from my experience repairing Harnesses is to trace the harness and tails and write on the plywood how many wires in that part of the harness and the color codes and what component it plugs into.

And make note of how many of the same color code are in the harness.
Make sure you replace every wire even if you dont know where it goes
you will find that wires connect components and dont show in the main harness they just jump from on component to another If you miss something you will have the wire already in place.
Prep is everything
If your going to relocate a component you will still have a blu print on the plywood. you can remove it for fitting and put it back on the plywood just give your self extra wire for the component your relocating.

And test each circuit as you repair them. Dont assume you have a good connection to only find out you have a bad circuit after you re install it on your bike

Again this depends on what kind of shape your current harness is and how much of the harness you want to save.

Side note
Some here solder I myself am not a big fan of soldering wire harness's. To much vibration and the soldering process, the acid wiks up the wire,makes the wire brittle at the connector.
But thats your call

Wish you the best of luck hope you get your project running well and have no electrical fires
And welcome to the boards

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: From "New Members" grandmalette Thank you post

Post by hillsy »

grandmalette wrote: The main harness is an issue. However, nearly every component is hardwired and connects to it. Replacement of the main harness is an easy out. But purchasing all the components that connect to it for replanement of the companion connector is a hefty sum. What be your solution for that issue?
This doesn't sound right - perhaps someone has modified the connections and hardwired them in? These Suzuki twins are notorious for having charging issues so perhaps someone has tried to hardwire everything to eliminate any issues?

grandmalette
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Suzuki vs 700 intruder

Post by grandmalette »

No , it is correct. Coolant sensors , main harness. Lighting , some on main harness. Reg/rectifier, k.s. switch, n switch, rear lighting, ign coils, all connect in to main harness, or cdi box. The stator connects with 3 individual connectors. Some of my harness is actually missing. Like all connectors for turn signals. Wiring fot start switch and cut off switch, also missing. I do have it apart.

D&K

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

grandmalette wrote:No , it is correct. Coolant sensors , main harness. Lighting , some on main harness. Reg/rectifier, k.s. switch, n switch, rear lighting, ign coils, all connect in to main harness, or cdi box. The stator connects with 3 individual connectors. Some of my harness is actually missing. Like all connectors for turn signals. Wiring fot start switch and cut off switch, also missing. I do have it apart.

D&K
Still not sure i get you? You said the main harness has all the major components hard-wired to it. To me that's soldered / unable to be disconnected.

Do you mean soldered into the harness or joined with connectors?

grandmalette
Tricycles are Cool

Post by grandmalette »

You are reading into it. I said "nearly every component is hardwired and connects to it. "

The components do not have a connector at the component. They have wiring coming out of them going to a, usually melted, connector. Nearly all components have melted wires, and connections. Wires melted on both sides of the connector. Which means without building a whole harness and replacing all connectors and replacing compoment wires and connectors i would have to purchase nearly every component that connects to it.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

grandmalette wrote:You are reading into it. I said "nearly every component is hardwired and connects to it. "

The components do not have a connector at the component. They have wiring coming out of them going to a, usually melted, connector. Nearly all components have melted wires, and connections. Wires melted on both sides of the connector. Which means without building a whole harness and replacing all connectors and replacing compoment wires and connectors i would have to purchase nearly every component that connects to it.

Right - so the bike has had terminal electrical issues at some point and fried the harness. You can pretty much bet on your stator and RR being toast for one, then probably the ignitor as well....

Sounds like it might be a more economical option to find a wrecked / untitled bike to salvage parts?

grandmalette
Tricycles are Cool

Post by grandmalette »

More like fire damage. From ourside in.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

grandmalette wrote:More like fire damage. From outside in.
My bad - had to go back to your other thread to see you said it had some fire damage.

If that is the case, then you might be able to get away with another harness and get new connector blocks to re-use the relays, etc if they are not totally burnt up.

Or depending on how adept you at at electronics you could get an M-Unit and wire that in from scratch.

https://www.shop.modernmotorcyclecompan ... unit-basic

grandmalette
Tricycles are Cool

Post by grandmalette »

I think if i can build a complete engine harness for an old TR7, I can handle the teduim of this.

Building them isnt hard, its just very tedius and time consuming. I can re use some connectors. Others I will replace.I have local suppliers that are well stocked.

Buying a used harness presents some of the same issues. Un sure condition, age, dry rot, internal corrosion, brittleness. Rebiulding is probably the safest , and most sure option.

I was curious where this would go. And i may still require some technicial assistance occasionally.

I still could use some assistance locating some parts though .

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

grandmalette wrote:I think if i can build a complete engine harness for an old TR7, I can handle the teduim of this.

Building them isnt hard, its just very tedius and time consuming. I can re use some connectors. Others I will replace.I have local suppliers that are well stocked.

Buying a used harness presents some of the same issues. Un sure condition, age, dry rot, internal corrosion, brittleness. Rebiulding is probably the safest , and most sure option.

I was curious where this would go. And i may still require some technicial assistance occasionally.

I still could use some assistance locating some parts though .
What parts do you need? I have a lot of parts.
You will find that many parts from a VS800 will easily swap onto your 700.

grandmalette
Tricycles are Cool

Post by grandmalette »

Its not a short list, lol

Clutch line, risers and bars, front seat mount bracket, side covers,
Shaft boot, headlamp bucket (or assembly),
Forward controls.

There is more, but thats a good start.

D&K

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

grandmalette wrote:Its not a short list, lol

Forward controls.

D&K
I may be able to help out with the side covers

I got a box of stuff with my 95 Not sure what all is in the box But I remember seeing a couple of 800?? side covers

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

grandmalette wrote:Its not a short list, lol

Forward controls.

D&K
I also have 800 side covers (black), neck covers, risers (98 singles or 07 s50 connected), seat bracket, shaft boot, headlamp assy.
The more you buy, the cheaper things get, also the shipping.
I'll look things over and send you a PM or email.

grandmalette
Tricycles are Cool

Post by grandmalette »

Ok will get with K on it.

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: Vs800+c90

Post by Swcoinguy »

Grandmalette where are you located?

grandmalette
Tricycles are Cool

Post by grandmalette »

Winston Salem NC

grandmalette
Tricycles are Cool

Post by grandmalette »

Are the neck covers ding/dent free navigator?

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: Vs800+c90

Post by Swcoinguy »

grandmalette wrote:Winston Salem NC
Ok. Just wanted to be sure you weren't on the other side of the world lol.
I have the remains of an 86/87 that I parted out a while back. The motor/trans and frame are gone and some little tidbits are gone but a good majority of the bike is still in boxes or on shelves. It was a running rideable bike when I bought it. I took the parts I wanted and figured eventually someone would need some of the other parts. That time might be now and that someone might be you. If you've got a phone number your willing to give I'll gladly talk over the phone about what I have and what you need. My email is jacswfl1@gmail.com
Drop me a line and hopefully I have most or all of what you need.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

grandmalette wrote:Are the neck covers ding/dent free navigator?
Yes, as well as the side covers....all off a running '07.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

grandmalette wrote:Are the neck covers ding/dent free navigator?
email sent