New battery question

HeisseScheisse
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1996 VS800

New battery question

Post by HeisseScheisse »

I have a new yuasa battery and it came without battery acid being filled inside it. The instructions that came with the battery say to fill it with battery acid but the clymer says not to add acid but instead distilled water. Is the distilled water more for when you have to top off the battery after it has had some use?

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Re: New battery question

Post by WintrSol »

Hmm. Where did you get this battery? It should have come with a bottle of electrolyte, assuming it is dry. If you didn't get this bottle, and the battery is empty, I'd take it to a place like Batteries Plus, to see if they can fill it. Plain distilled water won't work.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

+1, it should have come with a bottle of acid for the initial charge.
Distilled water is for topping off after evaporation occurs.

HeisseScheisse
Tricycles are Cool

Post by HeisseScheisse »

I bought it from motorcycle superstore. I was surprised to see there was no electrolyte. The last couple times I’ve had to get a battery they were already filled. That’s a great suggestion. I check with batteries plus

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

HeisseScheisse wrote:I bought it from motorcycle superstore. I was surprised to see there was no electrolyte. The last couple times I’ve had to get a battery they were already filled. That’s a great suggestion. I check with batteries plus
I would also contact the supplier and complain about the battery coming without electrolyte. Even Walmart batteries come with it.

I just replaced the battery on the GS1100 with the identical battery from Walmart. The last one lasted over 5 years.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

HeisseScheisse
Tricycles are Cool

Post by HeisseScheisse »

Herb wrote:
HeisseScheisse wrote:I bought it from motorcycle superstore. I was surprised to see there was no electrolyte. The last couple times I’ve had to get a battery they were already filled. That’s a great suggestion. I check with batteries plus
I would also contact the supplier and complain about the battery coming without electrolyte. Even Walmart batteries come with it.

I just replaced the battery on the GS1100 with the identical battery from Walmart. The last one lasted over 5 years.
I’ll do that and I’ll contact motorcycle superstore about it. The good folks of Batteries plus filled it for free so now it’s charging.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

HeisseScheisse wrote:
Herb wrote:

I’ll do that and I’ll contact motorcycle superstore about it. The good folks of Batteries plus filled it for free so now it’s charging.
I would probably do business with batteries plus from now on. Good service is worth a few dollars.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.