Fuel pump problem

bikemikey
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: Suzuki VS 800 Intruder

Fuel pump problem

Post by bikemikey »

I have a Suzuki VS 800 GLP Intruder. The bike was running fine then started backfiring at mid range and high range. Then the rear cylinder seems to stop working , would not idle right, the exhaust was cold compared to the upper, front carb cylinder exhaust. I thought maybe the rear carb needed cleaning, but I ended up with the same problem. Now I'm thinking I have a bad fuel pump, but I don't know how to test it, it is a 4 wired pump. There is also a small black box, 2 wired, mounted in rubber on the fuel pump bracket. I assume it is a relay of some sorts? I checked it with an OHM meter and it showed an open circuit. I have an extra 2 wired fuel pump (wrong Part) with that same box ( different connection) I check it and it show continuity . I'm wondering if this could be my problem? Does someone know what that part is and what it does, I can't seem to find it on a schematic drawing.
Appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Fuel pump problem

Post by navigator »

The rubber mounted relay is your turn signal relay, nothing to do with the fuel pump.
The fuel pump pushes gas through the rear carb to the front carb. if the pump goes bad, the front sops running first, the rear gets some gravity feed.
You have something else going on.
pull the line off the fuel pump, run a line from the pump into a jar and start the motor. if you get gas, it's not the pump.
Have you checked for spark on the rear cylinder?

bikemikey
Studying MC Handbook

Post by bikemikey »

I'll check that fuel pump out. I should have checked for spark on that rear cylinder right off, but didn't, I could have a bad coil. I'll get back to you later and let you know what I find out. Appreciate that info.
Thanks

bikemikey
Studying MC Handbook

Post by bikemikey »

Well, I figured out what was wrong, it was a spark plug boot. I check it out with an OHM meter and it showed an open circuit. I had 2 old ones and they showed the same thing, this didn't make any sense. So I check out the one I knew was good (on the front cylinder) and it showed 9.25 ohms . I took the bad one apart and sprayed some cleaner and WD 40 and got it to read the same thing. Problem solved except for the carb balance, it has a high idle, I'll have to play with it. I guess these spark plug boots get corroded over time, I wonder if there is a better aftermarket setup .
Appreciate your help, thanks.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Unscrew the boot, cut 1/4" off of the spark plug wire, and screw the boot back on.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I have had an issue with the spark plug boots that have the resistor in them. The ends of the little resistor will corrode. Unscrew the part where the plug snaps in and take out the resistor and clean it and the spring that is inside there. Be careful and don;t lose the spring.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

bikemikey
Studying MC Handbook

Post by bikemikey »

After cleaning the boots and cutting off a little bit of wire, the bike ran fine. I was getting to do some final tuning on the carb balance then the right cylinder quit again. Tomorrow I'll check out the wiring to the coils and the ones that go to the igniter. I'm hoping I just have a bad connection and not the igniter. Does anyone know if they make an aftermarket igniter for the vs 800 intruder? A few years back I checked, but they did not make one.
Thanks

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

I have an igniter from a running '07 S50.
32900 38A31
131800-6531
12v NIG061
$100 shipped.

bikemikey
Studying MC Handbook

Post by bikemikey »

I'll keep that in mind. I remembered I do have an old one I bought years ago when I was restoring my 93, thinking I needed one at the time, but didn't. I can't remember if the connections were different, but I'll check it out.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Pay close attention to the wires from the pickups to the igniter.

bikemikey
Studying MC Handbook

Post by bikemikey »

I installed the old igniter I had, I think it was out of a 96 intruder. The connections were different but it still worked. The pigtails had spaded connections which worked on the old connectors. I started the bike but it still wasn't right. So I looked at a wiring diagram and found I had crossed a black wire with a white stripe and a black wire with a yellow stripe. It's hard to tell the difference with these old wires. Anyway , the bike started right up with no problems. The engine sounds strong with no backfiring. I guess the old igniter was bad. It's the original igniter from 93 , so I guess it was time for it to fail. Thank you for your help.
Mike

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Glad you found the problem.

Ride safe.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Herb wrote:Glad you found the problem.

Ride safe.
Plus One, It never hurts to have a spare igniter....hint hint. :lmao: