Missing Fork Lock Key

Rudy619
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2001 Intruder VS800

Missing Fork Lock Key

Post by Rudy619 »

So my Intruder did not come with a fork lock key.

I called a locksmith who quoted me 60 bucks to replace it. (They are "fairly" certain they can get me a replacement not 100%)

My question is: Is it worth the 60 bucks? I could also buy some other wheel lock theft deterrent... but I guess I am really wondering if the fork lock is theft proof (I know - if someone wants to take my bike they will).

Thanks in advance everyone.
Rudy
2001 VS800
10,000+ mi.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Missing Fork Lock Key

Post by navigator »

IMO the fork lock is easily defeated by "snapping" the bars to center, shearing off the locking tab.
It is better than nothing, but if they want your bike, they will take it.
I always park next to a more expensive bike when I can. Harleys are the best theft deterrent for a Suzuki. :lmao:

$60 bucks seems a little steep.

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: Vs800+c90

Post by Swcoinguy »

I wouldn't spend a penny on the neck lock. $60 would be better spent on a real form of theft deferent. A disk lock or even a large U shaped lock for a bicycle that will prevent the rear wheel from turning is better than the very easily defeated neck lock. Whatever you decide to do is better than nothing but if you go with a disc or wheel type lock be sure to make it unmistakable to remove it before you try to ride away. Spokes and disks don't survive such mistakes often.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

+1 on not removing the lock before flight.
Many disc locks come with a Hi-Vis coil cord which hooks to your handlebars to remind you remove it.
Honestly, if you don't live in a high crime area, you probably don't need it.
I have traveled all across this country and never had an issue....just lucky? who know's

lonerider
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Post by lonerider »

The fork lock being easily defeated is a rumor that's been floating around for years, but I've never actually seen it done so I wonder.... That being said, I wouldn't give $60 for the key. There are better anti-theft alternatives.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

lonerider wrote:The fork lock being easily defeated is a rumor that's been floating around for years, but I've never actually seen it done so I wonder.... That being said, I wouldn't give $60 for the key. There are better anti-theft alternatives.
I was going to offer the fork lock off the bike I am parting out.
The key and lock both operate, but the tab is sheared off inside the fork, making it inoperable.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

$60 for the key is crazy.
Here is a NEW lock and key for $49....still crazy IMO. :lmao:
https://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oempar ... y-steering

Rudy619
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Rudy619 »

Thanks everyone!! Now I have money to buy other stuff... like these bags near where I live https://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/mpo/6624916381.html
Do you all think the price is fair? Thanks!
Rudy
2001 VS800
10,000+ mi.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

That is a pretty good buy.

BTW I lived in Santee for 18 years and recently moved to Nevada, couldn't take any more of the commiefornia crap.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Rudy619
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Rudy619 »

No way. Haven’t seen too many intruders here in san diego.

Also looking at some parts navigator has for sale. ... gotta prioritize
Rudy
2001 VS800
10,000+ mi.

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!

Post by Swcoinguy »

:ahha:

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!

Post by Swcoinguy »

Rudy619 wrote:Thanks everyone!! Now I have money to buy other stuff... like these bags near where I live https://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/mpo/6624916381.html
Hey Rudy, I wanted to drop you a line and tell you that I have been looking for a set of non studded bags for a little while. I had a set of studded bags and don't like the look of the studs on my VS. if you aren't going to buy those bags I'd be interested in them for myself. Would you be willing to be a liaison and help with the purchase/sale since your local? I'm in Florida. Thanks.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Herb wrote:That is a pretty good buy.
I agree, I have a pair of studded bags like that with the brackets and hardware that I have listed for $100 locally. no takers yet.
If I needed bags, I would buy 'em!

Rudy619
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Rudy619 »

Swcoinguy wrote:
Rudy619 wrote:Thanks everyone!! Now I have money to buy other stuff... like these bags near where I live https://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/mpo/6624916381.html
Hey Rudy, I wanted to drop you a line and tell you that I have been looking for a set of non studded bags for a little while. I had a set of studded bags and don't like the look of the studs on my VS. if you aren't going to buy those bags I'd be interested in them for myself. Would you be willing to be a liaison and help with the purchase/sale since your local? I'm in Florida. Thanks.

I only have tiny willie and max soft PU bags so I'ma go take a look at them. I'll keep you posted about this and any other parts I come across!

Thanks everyone.
Rudy
2001 VS800
10,000+ mi.

Rudy619
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Rudy619 »

Swcoinguy wrote:
Hey I got the bags and installed them on my ride. I think ima keep them since they are a huge upgrade from my tiny 3 inch wide soft bags :( haha
Rudy
2001 VS800
10,000+ mi.

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!

Post by Swcoinguy »

Rudy619 wrote:
Swcoinguy wrote:
Hey I got the bags and installed them on my ride. I think ima keep them since they are a huge upgrade from my tiny 3 inch wide soft bags :( haha
No worries. If you decide you don't want them let me know, thanks.