Fork seals leak after change

Brettmm92
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Intruder 800

Fork seals leak after change

Post by Brettmm92 »

I've had my fork seals replaced yearly for the past three years and I've noticed that they leak (very slowly) from the first ride. I was advised to scotch or emory cloth the hell out of the tubes this next time I changed them, but before I did that I wonder if y'all got any advice? And from the description the all balls (what a name lol) seem to be a bit of an upgrade, anyone have any experience with them? https://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarket- ... it/p/44705
I'm really looking to solve this problem and wouldn't mind paying reasonable money for some sort of upgrade

Thanks in advance!
Shoot for perfect, get great, think it's good

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Fork seals leak after change

Post by navigator »

The tubes are chrome, and personally, I would not use any type of abrasive on them.
You either have scratched, pitted, or out of round tubes if they leak immediately....that, or the area of the lowers where the OD of the seal seats has been scratched from prior seal removal and oil is getting around that way.
If either issue is true, NO seal will work.
I have used All Balls bearings in the neck with no issues.
I have not used their seals, I always used OEM fork seals.

I have a set of straight dry, non leaking, forks from a '07 S50 which would work fine for you.
$100 plus shipping to your zip code.

Lechy
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

I have seen many so called "mechanics" fit seals the wrong way around. The side with the part No must face the low pressure side in the case of fork seals, the outside.
Fork seals are just shaft seals, any bearing supplier has them.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

+1 on that, make sure the seals are not installed upside down.