Vs 800 starting issues

Hbomb440
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 98 Suzuki intruder 800

Vs 800 starting issues

Post by Hbomb440 »

Ok so last year the bike all of the sudden wouldn't start from the button any more if you jumped the starter solenoid. It would run good and the only other issue is the clutch slips at high torque. So this last week took the tank fenders and side covers off to repaint it needed it in the worst way. Bought a new solenoid and put everything back together today and still same issues. The battery is good clutch switch is already bypassed I have tried everything I can think of and out of ideas any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Vs 800 starting issues

Post by Herb »

Are you getting power to the solenoid when the start button is pushed?

There should be 4 wires to the solenoid, the one from the battery, the one to the starter, then 2 smaller wires one of which is a ground and the other is the signal voltage from the start switch. take a multimeter and read through the 2 small wires, one (probably black with a white tracer) should read zero, or close to it, ohms to ground the other one should read 12 volts when the start button is pushed.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Hbomb440
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Hbomb440 »

I used a wire tester on it and it was a little dim didn't have a multi meter at the moment to test it will try that tomorrow along with testing the battery and connections just to make sure. From what I have been reading these bikes are really picky when it comes to power.

Hbomb440
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Hbomb440 »

12.34 volts to the solenoid. Almost 10 volts from start button wire to solenoid. Once in awhile get a slight click from the solenoid when push the button but no change cleaned up the battery post and charged it still no change. PS that battery is a major pain to pull and but back in :bang:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Pull it out and have it load tested, it is probably toast.

Hbomb440
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Hbomb440 »

Ok so new discovery if the solenoid is not bolted to the bike it starts :bonk: