New Member Scotland

Hey! Tell us who you are and show us your Motorcycle!
If you don't have a Motorcycle, well that's okay!
If you don't know how to post a pic, scroll down to Forum Help.
Cerberus73
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1986 VS1400

New Member Scotland

Post by Cerberus73 »

Hi folks, new member (old member intruder alert?) Can i ask if this site is a replacement for the older intruder alert site? as i have had major issues trying to log in there and server errors. Or is this an all new better shinier site?

I have a 86 VS1400 which is in need of some love.. and i have been gathering parts for a couple of years now to fix up the old girl. she runs in a fashion, but the chrome looks crapolla.

I am at somewhat of a dilemma with her, i will either be buying a new bike next year, or if i cannot stretch to the new bike i will rebuild the intruder. and i do mean a nut and bolt engine strip, tuning and rebuild. same with frame, rebuild the wheels, suspension etc. as i will need it as good as new and just as reliable as a new bike. and modernise the handling, braking as best i can.

If there are any other UK based owners id like to know. I will make a post later on what condition my bikes in, and where i would like it to go. and get feedback on what other owners have done to improve there bikes.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: New Member Scotland

Post by Lechy »

Hi Jock, I'm from Preston but now live in Bangkok. I have an 800 which sat in flood water for about 6 weeks then for 4 years in boxes, here is a link to some pic's of the resurrection.
https://www.facebook.com/olechnowicz/me ... 065&type=3

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Cerberus73
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Cerberus73 »

Hey Lechy, my god yours sound like it was in even rougher nick than mines. For some reason it won't let me see the Facebook link. But sat in water can't have been fun to fix!

Mines just scabby looking,. chromes shot, paints ok but i hate the maroon! urgh. the engine runs fine and as far as i can tell it has about 30k miles on it. she runs but is popping, spluttering and generally lumpy. clutch is stuck as per for these bikes.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Cerberus73
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Cerberus73 »

Very nice Lechy, sorta similar to the way i want to do my bike. Black out the engine (BTW what paint/finish did you use and how well has it lasted?) I think id like to use truck bedliner as the paint on the tinware. powder coat frame satin black. cut down the fenders, eliminate the rear sissybar and pillion pad, more of a bobber sort of look. yet still have the option to sling over some saddlebags if i need them for a bit of touring.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Rattle can mat black on the engine, the rest acrylic black with poly clearcoat. It's holding up pretty well, but I have her in pieces again as I blew a head gasket. The headers I used 2" fiber glass black wrap and Rustoleum heatproof mat black for the mufflers.

[emoji41]

Cerberus73
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Cerberus73 »

Ah i was thinking on using HD texture finish rattle can. its apparently same shit they use on there motors from factory.. bit expensive but id like to do the job once. can't afford/be arsed pulling an engine to touch it up every couple yrs. I will get the chrome stripped on the covers. and powder coat them satin black or anthracite.. undecided as yet.I have stainless steel header pipes and a couple of 1m lengths of 2" stainless tube to make up pipes. to keep it free flowing as possible. will fit monster baffles or suchlike to keep the law happy, and for MOT time.

I did think about getting the crankcases, barrels and heads powder coated as well in a textured finish, or that ceramic stuff. but I'm worried powder will make the motor run to hot. even if i rub down the fin edges to aid cooling.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Living in Scotland I wouldn't worry too much about her getting hot. I worked on the North Sea for many years, it got freaking cold out there.
[emoji41]

Cerberus73
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Cerberus73 »

Funnily enough I'm in Aberdeen Lechy.. handy thing is I've loads of engineering places/powder coaters etc close by.. in fact the misuses father owns a marine engineering workshop.. its all good :D

But i do plan on travelling to slightly warmer climes on her.. if i can get her reliable enough.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Welcome to the board [emoji106]

Throw your hat in the corner and stay a little longer
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

Cerberus73 wrote:Funnily enough I'm in Aberdeen Lechy.. handy thing is I've loads of engineering places/powder coaters etc close by.. in fact the misuses father owns a marine engineering workshop.. its all good :D

But i do plan on travelling to slightly warmer climes on her.. if i can get her reliable enough.
You mean you are going to Blackpool.