My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Re: WOW Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

RoadKing wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:16 am
Suzuki Johnny wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:18 am
The Road King is the Grand Daddy of the bigger more equipped Harley's,
Bullshit. I’m not going to mince words here, pard. The Road King has always been the stripped down version of an ElectraGlide. No faring, no stinking sound system, no tour pack. Again, bull shit.
And the Road Kings official name is now the "Road King Special"... one can only assume the old Road King is no longer!

What a stupid statement. Again, bullshit. It’s still the Road King, same cost, same bike but with the larger motor, Special or otherwise.
BASIC PRICE is $23,999.00, plus all the add on's local dealers slap on the price tag and you're looking at anywhere from 30K to 31K out the door..
Add on's include Freight, set up, RDRS, tax title and license AND A $1000.00 sur charge????
Dealer costs (nothing new) add up to 2K bringing total to 25,999… hardly the 31K bullshit you state. If 26K is too much for you, don’t get one and quit sniveling. ANY ADD ONS BEYOND THE DEALER COST WILL BE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE BUYER! Simple as that. Truth. Prove me wrong.

Addendum here, to SUZUKI Johnny… why spread false information? I often wonder why you own a Harley. But you need not answer, I don’t really give a fuck.

WOW Harley is perfect topic title. Best motorcycle ever made.

I'm gonna try and respond to your post as best I can without resorting to name calling when you say BULLSHIT and STUPID... :ShitGrin:

It's not a "stupid" statement..the Road King is the base foundation for Street Glides, the Road Glide and the Ultra Limited series sold now..
Go back some years and the FL bikes of the 40's are similar to the Road King configuration that Harley uses now. All Harley did was to add a few
market products and came up with some different versions.
By the way the Road King is one of Harley's slow movers, at least in the deep south anyways... the Road Glides are making a big slash
nowadays out pacing the popular Street Glides and the King.

And if check out the current 2023 Harley line up you won't find a Road King per say, but you will find a Road King Special, and that designates a different version of the standard Road King with several new addons.

Might be that your local dealership is giving exceptional deals in your area but my quotes are in line with local pricing..
and you misquoted me.. I said 30k to 31K Not specifically 31K.

Very few owners are purchasing black bikes and going for the brighter colors and two tone paint.

So, lets' price a 2023 Road King Special

MSRP $ 24,649
TAX $ 2,469
Freight $ 469
Set up Fees $ 505
Title & License $ 350
Surcharge $ 1,000

Out the door $ 29,442

add a windshield add another $365.00 and that total is a tad bit over 30K :blink:

I'm not spreading false information here..I was just giving my two cents worth.

ADDENDUM HERE RK...... Since you don't give a fuck about much of anything why ask me any comments like... why I ride or own Harley's!!!!
You don't know me or my motorcycle history ...
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

RoadKing wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:16 am
Suzuki Johnny wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:18 am
The Road King is the Grand Daddy of the bigger more equipped Harley's,
Bullshit. I’m not going to mince words here, pard. The Road King has always been the stripped down version of an ElectraGlide. No faring, no stinking sound system, no tour pack. Again, bull shit.
And the Road Kings official name is now the "Road King Special"... one can only assume the old Road King is no longer!
What a stupid statement. Again, bullshit. It’s still the Road King, same cost, same bike but with the larger motor, Special or otherwise.
BASIC PRICE is $23,999.00, plus all the add on's local dealers slap on the price tag and you're looking at anywhere from 30K to 31K out the door..
Add on's include Freight, set up, RDRS, tax title and license AND A $1000.00 sur charge????
Dealer costs (nothing new) add up to 2K bringing total to 25,999… hardly the 31K bullshit you state. If 26K is too much for you, don’t get one and quit sniveling. ANY ADD ONS BEYOND THE DEALER COST WILL BE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE BUYER! Simple as that. Truth. Prove me wrong.

Addendum here, to SUZUKI Johnny… why spread false information? I often wonder why you own a Harley. But you need not answer, I don’t really give a fuck.

The Road King is the Grand Daddy of the bigger more equipped Harley's, [/quote]

I'm gonna try and respond to your post as best I can without resorting to name calling when you say BULLSHIT and STUPID... :ShitGrin:

It's not a "stupid" statement..the Road King is the base foundation for Street Glides, the Road Glide and the Ultra Limited series sold now..
Go back some years and the FL bikes of the 40's are similar to the Road King configuration that Harley uses now. All Harley did was to add a few
market products and came up with some different versions.
By the way the Road King is one of Harley's slow movers, at least in the deep south anyways... the Road Glides are making a big slash
nowadays out pacing the popular Street Glides and the King.

And if check out the current 2023 Harley line up you won't find a Road King per say, but you will find a Road King Special, and that designates a different version of the standard Road King with several new addons.

Might be that your local dealership is giving exceptional deals in your area but my quotes are in line with local pricing..
and you misquoted me.. I said 30k to 31K Not specifically 31K.

Very few owners are purchasing black bikes and going for the brighter colors and two tone paint.

So, lets' price a 2023 Road King Special

MSRP $ 24,649
TAX $ 2,469
Freight $ 469
Set up Fees $ 505
Title & License $ 350
Surcharge $ 1,000

Out the door $ 29,442

add a windshield add another $365.00 and that total is a tad bit over 30K :blink:

I'm not spreading false information here..I was just giving my two cents worth.

ADDENDUM HERE RK...... Since you don't give a fuck about much of anything why ask me any comments like... why I ride or own Harley's!!!!
You don't know me or my motorcycle history ...
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

SJ, I DO know of your motorcycle history. I have read who knows how many of your posts for the last 13 years. You are a genuine motorcycle rider, regardless of brands ridden. Only reason I ask is because on numerous occasions you have joined in the put downs of Harley that are famous this board.

Now, I reiterate. If you want a base price King you can order it, buying one all gussied from the show room floor is not necessary. And, as I said, any additional add ons are ONLY at the discretion and acceptance of the buyer. Wind screen? The day I bought my ‘13 a wind screen came stock with it, I took it off, it sits even now in my spare bedroom. Who needs it? As for black? For me a bike only needs two colors, black and chrome. As for the word Special? A changing nomenclature and nothing more. The 2023 Road King Special and the 2022 Road King are the same price, same bike but now standard with the larger motor. I call that a good deal!
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

RK, I believe that you mistake some members comment's related to their personal experiences and knowledge regarding Harley. In most instances they aren't put downs, rather they just type what that member is seeing or experiencing in their area of the country.

We all know that you are a die in the wool Harley owner and that's cool. I on the other hand like and have owned many different brands. Each had their good points, and not so good points. Some were just plain good across the board like my 99RG. Other's weren't so good like my 2007 RG. Neither of the aforementioned comment's are a put down or ada boy for Harley, they're just.y personal accounting of those two bike's.

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VL1500 C90T + VS1400 Intruder

Post by tabasco »

I joined the purple board in '04 and have been pretty much around since then. I don't recall many, maybe a few, Harley put downs. Plenty of posts by folks who chose other bikes and why ... and plenty of posts who chose Harleys and why. In terms of technology, I've always had issues with Harleys, but always liked Harleys. They are motorcycles, not limousines. You like what you like. The 114 engine does $ound like fun.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

tabasco wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:24 am
In terms of technology, I've always had issues with Harleys, but always liked Harleys.
Interesting how you say that - HD might not explore cutting edge tech as much as other manufacturers but they do pour a lot of resources into the parts they develop and use. As far as making things look, sound and feel the way they do, HD is unrivalled in that arena.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

I find it rather humorous when folk's say hd might not explore cutting edge.....
The reality is actually the opposite. There's very little difference between HD and any other brands when it comes to technological advancements.
Air assist suspension, Harley was on it from the start. Electronic cruise and other electronic features? Again HD was on it from the start. Fuel injection, liquid cooling, etc... HD has been doing these for decades.
However Harley has known what it's customers want, and is only driven to make changes as their customers demand those changes. In my view, that's a good thing.
Bottom line in my OPINION is that if you have a problem with HD, it's more than likely your own personal choice to prefer something else and not really a fault with anything HD does or doesn't do.
Now BMW pisses me off. They completely change a model every 4-5 year's. Just about the time you like a particular model they've turned it into something different.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Tbeck wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:16 pm
I find it rather humorous when folk's say hd might not explore cutting edge.....
The reality is actually the opposite. There's very little difference between HD and any other brands when it comes to technological advancements.
Air assist suspension, Harley was on it from the start. Electronic cruise and other electronic features? Again HD was on it from the start. Fuel injection, liquid cooling, etc... HD has been doing these for decades.
I'll give you the air assist suspension and cruise control - but you're speaking out your ass if you are trying to say HD were anywhere near first with FI or water cooling. Kawasaki did FI first with the Z1 Classic back in 79. HD didn't get there until 95.

HD didn't put water cooling on their big twins until 2014 (V-Rod doesn't count - it was designed by Porsche). Japs have been doing water cooling since the early 70's - although they didn't adopt it en-masse until the late 80's.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

RoadKing wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:54 pm
SJ, I DO know of your motorcycle history. I have read who knows how many of your posts for the last 13 years. You are a genuine motorcycle rider, regardless of brands ridden. Only reason I ask is because on numerous occasions you have joined in the put downs of Harley that are famous this board.

Now, I reiterate. If you want a base price King you can order it, buying one all gussied from the show room floor is not necessary. And, as I said, any additional add ons are ONLY at the discretion and acceptance of the buyer. Wind screen? The day I bought my ‘13 a wind screen came stock with it, I took it off, it sits even now in my spare bedroom. Who needs it? As for black? For me a bike only needs two colors, black and chrome. As for the word Special? A changing nomenclature and nothing more. The 2023 Road King Special and the 2022 Road King are the same price, same bike but now standard with the larger motor. I call that a good deal!

RK We are two of the several stalwart Harley Davidson aficionados on this board who continually uphold the rightful place of Harley's in the motorcycle world. And I will continue to do so as I love and bleed Harley's :ShitGrinandThumb:
First street bike I bought was in late 1968, a pre 1969 350cc Harley Sprint made by Aermacchi, Dang thing was the hardest bike I ever owned that was a bitch to start, summer or winter. But after getting it going it was a dream for me, bicycle tires, kick start MF'er and all!
Bought it second hand for 600 bucks rode it for years and sold it for 300 bucks. Another in the stable was a 1962 250cc Suzuki Scrambler, but that one never made the street as I had no papers or license for that matter! Used it for the dirt, don't remember exactly but them 20 some odd ponies pushed it pretty mean in those days!
I've rode dozens of other makes and models from Triumphs to Nortons and owned a Suzuki 1400 Intruder ( Only bike I never dropped) which I consider one of the best bikes I have ever owned. They all had some really great qualities and some not so good.

And I agree wholeheartedly with you that the 117cc engine addition to some of the Harley's is the best thing they ever did :cheers: :rock: :rock:
I've test rode a 114 Low Rider and it screams with way too much power for such a smaller lighter bike. But Damn that was fun!!

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

hillsy, you have to read what I said, like HD not charging things that work for their customers. If it ain't broke don't fix it :smile: .
Harley engineer's were dabbling in the same stuff as the japs, Italians, and Germans during the 70's and 80's. Hence even Honda dabbled in air assist suspension both front and rear, just like HD.
Ask yourself how many different generations of powerplants has HD developed and installed in bike during your lifetime alone? They aren't the old steel sleeved cylindér models of the 60's and haven't been for a long time. That's the mistake people make regarding Harley; they look the same and therefore must be the same, but they aren't. :putput:

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

Suzuki Johnny wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:33 am
RoadKing wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:54 pm

RK We are two of the several stalwart Harley Davidson aficionados on this board who continually uphold the rightful place of Harley's in the motorcycle world. And I will continue to do so as I love and bleed Harley's :ShitGrinandThumb:
First street bike I bought was in late 1968, a pre 1969 350cc Harley Sprint made by Aermacchi, Dang thing was the hardest bike I ever owned that was a bitch to start, summer or winter. But after getting it going it was a dream for me, bicycle tires, kick start MF'er and all!
Bought it second hand for 600 bucks rode it for years and sold it for 300 bucks. Another in the stable was a 1962 250cc Suzuki Scrambler, but that one never made the street as I had no papers or license for that matter! Used it for the dirt, don't remember exactly but them 20 some odd ponies pushed it pretty mean in those days!
I've rode dozens of other makes and models from Triumphs to Nortons and owned a Suzuki 1400 Intruder ( Only bike I never dropped) which I consider one of the best bikes I have ever owned. They all had some really great qualities and some not so good.

And I agree wholeheartedly with you that the 117cc engine addition to some of the Harley's is the best thing they ever did :cheers: :rock: :rock:
I've test rode a 114 Low Rider and it screams with way too much power for such a smaller lighter bike. But Damn that was fun!!
Truth. Your history as a motorcycle rider reads that you have ridden for a long time and still do. My history is that a lifetime of being a biker since age 14 is in the past, no longer able to ride, and the future is uncertain. Truth. Also true, the Harley brand is my brand and, whether or not I am able to ride for the brand, I still will always speak true and positive about it.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

tabasco wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:24 am
I joined the purple board in '04 and have been pretty much around since then. I don't recall many, maybe a few, Harley put downs. Plenty of posts by folks who chose other bikes and why ... and plenty of posts who chose Harleys and why. In terms of technology, I've always had issues with Harleys, but always liked Harleys. They are motorcycles, not limousines. You like what you like. The 114 engine does $ound like fun.
A wise man once said...anything other than a C90 is just settling. :rag:

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Tbeck wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:47 am
hillsy, you have to read what I said, like HD not charging things that work for their customers. If it ain't broke don't fix it :smile: .
Harley engineer's were dabbling in the same stuff as the japs, Italians, and Germans during the 70's and 80's. Hence even Honda dabbled in air assist suspension both front and rear, just like HD.
Ask yourself how many different generations of powerplants has HD developed and installed in bike during your lifetime alone? They aren't the old steel sleeved cylindér models of the 60's and haven't been for a long time. That's the mistake people make regarding Harley; they look the same and therefore must be the same, but they aren't. :putput:
Harley don't throw cutting edge or new tech at their big twins. Any changes they make need to be carefully planned to not piss off their customers.

They DO spend a lot of R&D on making new parts that look and feel like they are traditional.

That's the biggest difference between HD and the rest of the market.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

Opinions. You know, exactly the same as assholes. Assholes with stupid opinions.

Facts. Over a one year period, Harley shares on the stock market have risen nearly 27% compared to the S&P 500 which has fallen nearly 13%. The market never lies.

OK. Back to some more asshole opinions.
Signifying nothing”

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

RoadKing wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:12 pm
Opinions. You know, exactly the same as assholes. Assholes with stupid opinions.

Facts. Over a one year period, Harley shares on the stock market have risen nearly 27% compared to the S&P 500 which has fallen nearly 13%. The market never lies.

Well it's good to know HD don't mess too much with the formula so the shares stay strong.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:17 pm
RoadKing wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:12 pm

Well it's good to know HD don't mess too much with the formula so the shares stay strong.
You never mess with a winning formula. That means motorcycle sales. 120 years strong and counting.
Signifying nothing”

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

hillsy, please dude, that response to me is lame at best, and flat out wrong in reality. Ain't nothing old school about Harley and hasn't been since the 1980's. Maybe you need to read and catch up? For example you earlier referenced the vrod engine and Porsche. Yes the Porsche team played a significant role in the revolution engine, BUT the liquid cooled engine that the Porsche and Harley engineers tweaked was the VR1000 Harley designed race engine. So CLEARLY Harley had ALREADY been designing and building liquid cooled engines.
See how easily the Harley disinformation can be proven :Cool:

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Tbeck wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:38 am
hillsy, please dude, that response to me is lame at best, and flat out wrong in reality. Ain't nothing old school about Harley and hasn't been since the 1980's. Maybe you need to read and catch up? For example you earlier referenced the vrod engine and Porsche. Yes the Porsche team played a significant role in the revolution engine, BUT the liquid cooled engine that the Porsche and Harley engineers tweaked was the VR1000 Harley designed race engine. So CLEARLY Harley had ALREADY been designing and building liquid cooled engines.
See how easily the Harley disinformation can be proven :Cool:
Dude - where the fuck did I say HD was "old school"?

I said they pour heaps of resources into making parts look and feel traditional. That doesn't mean to say they whittle parts out of old trees or smelt down old tins for steel.

Of course they embrace new tech, metallurgy and the like - the difference is they rarely pioneer this stuff and they certainly don't use tech that would look out of place on their bikes. Heritage and Nostalgia are key.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

hillsy, I don't know bud. A bike that self lowers really deviates from the norm.
I get what you are saying about maintaining the look, sounds, and nostalgia, but that's all about knowing their consumer's, not a reflection on engineering.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Tbeck wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:47 pm
hillsy, I don't know bud. A bike that self lowers really deviates from the norm.
I get what you are saying about maintaining the look, sounds, and nostalgia, but that's all about knowing their consumer's, not a reflection on engineering.
Air ride suspension has been in cars for decades - that's the perfect example of how HD does not try anything new tech. Same with FI - has been in cars and bikes since the 70's but was plagued with patchy reliability issues in it's infancy - hence HD didn't go there until 95 - and more than likely they buckled on that due to meeting emissions standards more than anything else.

So yes - HD know their customer base and know that radical changes are not the way to go. They do spend lots on making new parts that look and feel traditional / nostalgic / have character, etc.

This is a perfect example of how they make a new bike look like it's classic: