WOW Harley

Keep it civil
RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Re: WOW Harley

Post by RoadKing »

Each new year Harley is born a classic. Been that way for a very long time.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

RoadKing wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:30 pm
Arguably if you take out some of the AMF years....I'd say you're probably spot on :ShitGrinandThumb:

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:47 pm
RoadKing wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:30 pm
Arguably if you take out some of the AMF years....I'd say you're probably spot on :ShitGrinandThumb:
The AMF years were for financial transition. The new plant in York, Pennsylvania was built. The Evolution Motor was developed. President Reagan granted a temporary protection. Harley took back sole ownership to end the AMF years. The Evolution Motor was rolled out in 1984 to unparalleled success. And all the time the Big Twin Harley kept it’s classic beauty. Nothing succeeds like success.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

hillsy, you gotta SLOOOW down and read what I actually posted. I said a bike that self lowers, I didn't and wasn't talking about air assist suspension. The Pan suspension is the first of it's type on any bike.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Tbeck wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:08 pm
hillsy, you gotta SLOOOW down and read what I actually posted. I said a bike that self lowers, I didn't and wasn't talking about air assist suspension. The Pan suspension is the first of it's type on any bike.
And maybe you should read where I have been talking about the Big Twins?

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Harley has done a great job of upgrading to new tech an still keeping the basic appeal of the bikes. That is the reason that they are still doing so well.

Triumph has gone back to their original styles and used upgraded tech and are doing well, many other manufactures are getting back to basics of motorcycling and doing well.

So why the hell are so many people putting Harley down??? Is it the cost? The Harleys are not that much more expensive than any other bike with the same equipment and performance. But I am not going to spend that kind of money on a bike, Harley or other brands, when I can buy great bikes for a 4th of the cost, or even less.

I have nothing against Harley and their changes, as much as I love to ride I can't justify, in my own mind, the cost of one. If I sold every bit of rolling stock that I have right now I MIGHT be able to squeak out enough to buy a Roadking. Ain't gonna fucking happen.

BTW, a $29,000 bike has a sales tax alone of almost $2,250 in my state and that doesn't include the other taxes that go with the license and registration. Out the door in NV the Roadking is almost $35,000.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

Herb, for me at times it has been all about sacrifice in order to purchase something I really wanted, that and a strict set of priorities as well as dedicated savings from paycheck each Friday. Been that way since I worked at various jobs at age 14 in order to buy a used Cushman Eagle. I saved up and lived frugally for nearly three years so that I could buy a new Centennial Road King in 2003. Years in the building trades were good enough to me that I was never hungry and could ride my bike of choice. My dream Corvette remains on hold and will likely never happen. Priorities.
Signifying nothing”

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

hillsy, I gotcha and the big twin scenario, but there's nothing about Harley's big twin motors that isn't top of the line engineering. That's the mistaken argument. Because they look the same/similar, they must be low tech, but nothing could be further from the truth.
Let's face it, there are only so many changes that can be done with an internal combustion motor. All of the manufacturers have been chasing Honda's reliability since the 60's and most have achieved it, Harley included.
They have all gotten to the stage where cosmetics are the biggest change.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Tbeck wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:44 pm
hillsy, I gotcha and the big twin scenario, but there's nothing about Harley's big twin motors that isn't top of the line engineering. That's the mistaken argument. Because they look the same/similar, they must be low tech, but nothing could be further from the truth.
Let's face it, there are only so many changes that can be done with an internal combustion motor. All of the manufacturers have been chasing Honda's reliability since the 60's and most have achieved it, Harley included.
They have all gotten to the stage where cosmetics are the biggest change.
That's exactly what I have been saying.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

RK, my priority is my family. A bike is secondary. You have your priority that is fine but don't try to tell me that I am screwed up by having a different one.

BTW, I bought my first home in 1972 and a new Roadking is over twice the cost of it... There again, in '72 I chose to buy a home rather than buy an expensive bike.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

Herb wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:04 pm
RK, my priority is my family. A bike is secondary. You have your priority that is fine but don't try to tell me that I am screwed up by having a different one.

BTW, I bought my first home in 1972 and a new Roadking is over twice the cost of it... There again, in '72 I chose to buy a home rather than buy an expensive bike.
YOU SEE, WE GET ALONG UNTIL YOU START PUTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH… I HATE THAT WITH A PASSION. I DONT TRY TO TELL YOU TO DO ANYTHING. YOU CANNOT SHOW ME ONE MOTHERFUCKING INSTANCE WHERE I DO. MY FAMILY HAS ALWAYS COME FIRST AND I MENTION THEM OFTEN. MY DAUGHTER AND HER MAN RIDE. MY SON WORKS SEVEN DAYS A WEEK AND IS DOING FINE. THE HOME YOU BOUGHT IN IN 72 IS PROBABLY WORTH TEN TIMES MORE NOW AND TO COMPARE WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT THEN TO THE COST OF A ROAD KING NOW IS FUCKED UP. YOU BEEN DRINKING? YOUR SUDDEN UNREASONABLE BELLIGERENCE TOWARDS ME IS STUPID. I WOULD LIKE TO SAY I LOVE MY BIKE WITHOUT YOU TAKING OFFENSE LIKE A LITTLE BITCH SNOWFLAKE. AT NO TIME DID I ACCUSE YOU OF BEING SCREWED UP BECAUSE YOU HAVE DIFFERENT PRIORITIES THAN MINE. I STATED THE PRIORITIES I SET FOR MYSELF IN ORDER TO BUY SOMETHING. I WENT WITHOUT A BIKE DURING TIMES MY MONEY WENT TOWARDS FAMILY. YOU PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH AND THAT IS FUCKED UP. FUCK YOU.
Signifying nothing”

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

This is what you responded to tabasco... And the way it is worded to anyone else on the fucking board.
"If it takes someone able to ride several years to ponder on the value to them of a Harley Davidson Road King, they don’t really need one. So quit the bull shit jive."

FUCK YOU, YOU ARE A LOUDMOUTH BULLSHIT KING THAT JUST LOVES TO TALK BIG AND YET DOESN'T EVEN RIDE ANYMORE. YOU JUST LIKE TO LOOK AT YOUR BIKE AND GIVE PEOPLE SHIT.

YOU ARE EVEN WRONG ABOUT THE COST OF THE BIKES. I AM BEING NICE BY SAYING WRONG INSTEAD OF LYING.

GO PISS IN YOUR OWN WHEATIES.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

Herb wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:15 pm
This is what you responded to tabasco... And the way it is worded to anyone else on the fucking board.
"If it takes someone able to ride several years to ponder on the value to them of a Harley Davidson Road King, they don’t really need one. So quit the bull shit jive."

FUCK YOU, YOU ARE A LOUDMOUTH BULLSHIT KING THAT JUST LOVES TO TALK BIG AND YET DOESN'T EVEN RIDE ANYMORE. YOU JUST LIKE TO LOOK AT YOUR BIKE AND GIVE PEOPLE SHIT.

YOU ARE EVEN WRONG ABOUT THE COST OF THE BIKES. I AM BEING NICE BY SAYING WRONG INSTEAD OF LYING.

GO PISS IN YOUR OWN WHEATIES.
Yes, I’ll repeat it… if one needs ponder something for a long time as to value, it’s likely something you don’t need to begin with. Why yap about it? If something is desired, begin to pursue it, don’t just ponder! As you close in on your goal, sprint to the finish line. If along the way you find your goal unachievable. at least you tried. But pondering for a long time is hardly a serious commitment.

As for my current physical state, I’ll never mention it again. It’s killing me to not be able to ride but I don’t expect anyone this board to sincerely give a shit. As far as being a tough talker? Those who have known me for decades know better. And I do get pissed off when someone spreads false witness about me based on misinterpretation of what I say. The whole board reads what I said the way you do? Perhaps it’s just the way you want to read me and I guess there ain’t shit I can do about that.
Signifying nothing”

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VL1500 C90T + VS1400 Intruder

Post by tabasco »

RoadKing wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:13 am

If it takes someone able to ride several years to ponder on the value to them of a Harley Davidson Road King, they don’t really need one. So quit the bull shit jive.
What a crock of bullshit. When I get a bike, I keep it for a long time, many years. I guess I've been lucky. I picked bikes I really liked. But I look at other bikes and think about what would be next, if and when, you asshole. Even an innocuous thread like this you turn into a pile of shit.

Like I said before, I've kept and will keep the C90 as long it is serving me well, because I've been almost 40k on it and enjoyed every minute. That is still pretty low mileage for someone my age ... it will outlast me if I want. I like it better than any Harley, but there are very few metric touring choices left, so obviously HD would be included in my ponderings, but no I do not consider them worth thirty grand. At this point in my life, I can easily afford that, thank God. That's my business, not yours ... and if my long term shopping does not fit your old fart time schedule, who cares? I still ride.

It's a motorcycle forum and I put this thread up ... not to stir up shit, but to share how surprised I was to see the RK and EG basic models gone. It's not a big deal to me, and I don't care what you think is bullshit jive. My question is this: You said recently in another thread (after another hiatus) that you don't like coming here any more ... so why do you come here? Invariably, to insult and throw out pompous crap. Jackass.

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by tabasco »

I'm really pretty simple minded when it comes to bikes. For example, when I had the latest set of tires, Bridgestones, put on the c90 last spring, and kept inflated at psi's recommended by folks in here ... the wobble went away. This is the latest thing that keeps me from "shopping". But I do like thinking about another bike, as no one wants to hang up the helmets for good.

When I had the LC, Cruiser Magazine (still around?) used to have an annual feature where they listed every cruiser type bike on the market ... with pic, specs ... I studied every bike, without regard to price, and realized my next bike would be another one (C90). There was a leftover new one on the floor of the dealer, and I impulsively pulled the trigger. I've been real happy since, with many long trips. I know most people would select something else ... if not the c90 would have sold like hotcakes and maybe still be in production. An impulsive day like that could come tomorrow, or in a few years, I don't stress myself ... I have to be in the mood ...

Meantime it is ALWAYS fun to think about other bikes and if I'd want any of them. In the eighties I had a deck of cards with pics of every Honda motorcycle for that year on the back. I'd sometimes just sit and look through them just for s&Gs.

Today, just a short bit ago ... I went to Indian website, and that Indian Springfield Dark Horse knocked me out. Real cool. Don't usually like blacked out, but that bike looks great. *sigh* heh heh. Downside of that would be only one dealer on Long Island. That is one are HD always was king of the hill ... dealer network.

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by tabasco »

The good thing about owning a bike you love to ride is that you really take your time and have fun "thinking". Something else always catches your eye, LOL. The Indian Springield Dark Horse looks BAD. I'm sorry I flood the forum with these kinds of "bullshit" posts, at least a couple times a year, LOL. Amazing how many models of bikes have come and gone since I bought my bike, including the entire Victory lineup, and now the RK and EG setups I liked, heh heh.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

That Indian will look even better when they put some air in the tyres.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Tom those who know and have ridden with you, know what you were saying. Flack bounces off so easy does it. By the way, the Indians ride very nice and look great as well.

Herb, I think you read more into RK's post than what was intended. I think this is one common thought RK and I have. If you want it, you figure a way to make ownership possible. It's not a dig at anyone,rather a mindset if that makes sense.

RK, relax! Lot's of nice conversation between member's about a Harley model bike. We aren't all going to see thing's the same but everyone responding loves bike's and riding. On the riding thing for you personally? Many of the people here do care that you've been unable to ride due to pain you're experiencing and hoping that the surgery you mentioned in another post will enable you to get back in the saddle.

Back to the post... I know that mocc has nothing but good to say about his RK, and that fella really ride's.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:34 pm
But they are only flat on the bottom. :ShitGrin:

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

navigator wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:02 pm
hillsy v2 wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:34 pm
But they are only flat on the bottom. :ShitGrin:
That's the most important part :cheers: