WOW Harley

Keep it civil
tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VL1500 C90T + VS1400 Intruder

WOW Harley

Post by tabasco »

Didn't expect this. I was just starting to finally consider a HD, buy my two choices would have been a Road King or Electra Glide Standard, both gone:

While most of Harley-Davidson’s 2022 models are returning, there are a couple of notable absences. The air-cooled EVO Sportsters are finally discontinued, with the Forty-Eight and Iron 883 finally bowing out.

The Electra Glide Standard and the aforementioned Road King are also absent from Harley-Davidson’s 2023 lineup. Both models used the Milwaukee-Eight 107 engine, and their removal leaves the Softail Standard, Street Glide, and Road Glide as the last to use the 107 engine. The 114 models, including the Road King Special, are all returning for 2023.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Re: WOW Harley

Post by RoadKing »

tabasco wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:39 am
Didn't expect this.
The 114 models, including the Road King Special, are all returning for 2023.
The Road King is returning, using 114 cubes exclusively. I know, that means a huge jump in cost… I suppose. Allow me…

Youngsters are doing today what we as youngsters did in the 60’s, buying and rebuilding older bikes. Today Shovelheads are the hot item followed by Evo. Neither is obsolete, parts readily available. I would myself be in the middle of a Shovel rebuild were it not for debilitating hip pain.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

sgtcall
BIKE REPOED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by tabasco »

RoadKing wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:08 am

The Road King is returning, using 114 cubes exclusively. I know, that means a huge jump in cost… I suppose. Allow me…

Youngsters are doing today what we as youngsters did in the 60’s, buying and rebuilding older bikes. Today Shovelheads are the hot item followed by Evo. Neither is obsolete, parts readily available. I would myself be in the middle of a Shovel rebuild were it not for debilitating hip pain.
Yeah, the Road King is returning just 114 with all that anti skid anti lock this and that computer shit, starting at $23,999 ... translation $30k with shit I don't want.

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by tabasco »

That Trumpet looks nice, Sarge.

sgtcall
BIKE REPOED!

Post by sgtcall »

There is a Triumph Dealer near you that has a couple of used ones for about 10K give or take. New they are about 14K (more with the unboxing fees. To me they are somewhere between a Road King and a Sportster 48 but with the 1200 Motor. I looked at both and have always liked Road Kings but wanted something smaller for around town short riding. I saw the Triumphs and I loved the Bobber look but needed a rear seat so went with the Speedmaster. I had always wanted a Triumph and there prices just seemed better than the HDs. They do have computers but you also get the added benefit of things like cruise control, and a fuel gauge that gives you your range. Also Road and Rain modes, rain mode works great in city traffic. You can even check trouble codes just by pressing and holding a button. You should take one on a test ride, can't hurt.

New Bobber
https://triumphnassaucounty.com/invento ... rdovan-red

Used Bobber
https://triumphnassaucounty.com/invento ... matt-black

Used Speedmaster (If you need 2 up riding but really the same bike) This one has a nice seat for 2 up but I like the look of the stock passenger pillion seat better.
https://triumphnassaucounty.com/invento ... hire-black
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Never owned a Triumph but I've rode almost every version and cc size since 1961.. and I loved riding every one of 'em :ShitGrinandThumb:
But back then I was set on buying used Harley models and setting them up to my liking, mainly the 883 Sporty's which in that time frame was America's grand daddy of them all.

My oldest son rides a Triumph Bonneville America and he and his wife love it.. They reside in Steamboat Springs and they love the mountain riding.
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

sgtcall
BIKE REPOED!

Post by sgtcall »

I love Steamboat Springs and wish I could live there, great place to ski and ride. I got out to ride the mountains a few times when I lived in Colorado Springs and if you can find the less traveled back roads it is great riding.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

Sgt, even Harley has had to play the size up game in engines. I thought the EG standard for dropped a while back!
Anyhow the RG in my view is a great bike and the king is simply getting a motor upsize so still a great choice.
I've never owned a king but I have owned a couple RG's and a couple EG's. The EG's will keep most of the rain off you, the RG won't. However if you ride at night the RG fairing keeps the light where you want it, and I think it's more stable overall. Always a toss up. As for the king! No radio but thai isn't a big loss. Although the weather channel can be nice in road trips.

Me? Since I purchased a BMW in 2010, everything else just falls to move me off the BMW. We are spoiled for choices :ShitGrinandThumb:

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

Tbeck wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:45 am
Sgt, even Harley has had to play the size up game in engines. I thought the EG standard for dropped a while back!
Anyhow the RG in my view is a great bike and the king is simply getting a motor upsize so still a great choice.
Yep. They’re all still RK’s. Same price basically year over year. Smart move. All larger motors at 114 and all referred to as Specials, but without added 10K. The RK always has been a stripped down version of the ElectraGlide dresser. The 114 RK is going to sell very well.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

sgtcall
BIKE REPOED!

Post by sgtcall »

If I could have a second bike for the occasional longer ride it would be a Road King, but I just don't have the room for it right now.

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by tabasco »

Yep. They’re all still RK’s. Same price basically year over year. Smart move. All larger motors at 114 and all referred to as Specials, but without added 10K. The RK always has been a stripped down version of the ElectraGlide dresser. The 114 RK is going to sell very well.
We'll see. With they way the economy is going, I don't think so. Anyway, I don't like the color schemes, heh heh. I wanted a brand new basic Roadking ... black, not all blacked out. Wasn't ready to buy, and like they say, you snooze you lose. heh heh. Not really lose, I still love my C90, I guess y'all are sick of hearing it heh, but it's a good problem to have (putting off the next bike cuz you like what you bave).

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

I can tell just by looking at a bike if it’s for me. Of all the different kinds of rides on the Harley showroom floor, the only big bore Highway machine that’s a fit is The Road King. Can tell just by looking, don’t need to road test. Perhaps the many years and miles in the saddle have provided that ability.
Right now, up in the barn, sits The King. I love that machine. I look and I know, I know there is nothing I would rather do than ride my bike. Just by looking at it. But looking at it is all I can do.

If it takes someone able to ride several years to ponder on the value to them of a Harley Davidson Road King, they don’t really need one. So quit the bull shit jive.
Signifying nothing”

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

The Road King is the Grand Daddy of the bigger more equipped Harley's,

And the Road Kings official name is now the "Road King Special"... one can only assume the old Road King is no longer!
Standard on the King is ABS, Cruise Control, the new Milwaukee Eight 114cc engine, trip A and B, range to empty and gear indicator.
Estimated gas mileage is set at 43MPG but you'd most likely get better gas mileage as my 2020 Tri Glide Ultra gets that on back roads.
Depending on your color choice (add 500.00 for color)..basic price is $23,999.00, plus all the add on's local dealers slap on the price tag and you're looking at anywhere from 30K to 31K out the door..
Add on's include Freight, set up, RDRS, tax title and license AND A $1000.00 sur charge????

If you want a radio or CB radio you'd be better off adding after-market products.

On the Harley website the Tri Glide CVO is not listed, I'm wondering if they are going to discontinue that version.
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

Suzuki Johnny wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:18 am
Bullshit. I’m not going to mince words here, pard. The Road King has always been the stripped down version of an ElectraGlide. No faring, no stinking sound system, no tour pack. Again, bull shit.
And the Road Kings official name is now the "Road King Special"... one can only assume the old Road King is no longer!
What a stupid statement. Again, bullshit. It’s still the Road King, same cost, same bike but with the larger motor, Special or otherwise.
BASIC PRICE is $23,999.00, plus all the add on's local dealers slap on the price tag and you're looking at anywhere from 30K to 31K out the door..
Add on's include Freight, set up, RDRS, tax title and license AND A $1000.00 sur charge????
Dealer costs (nothing new) add up to 2K bringing total to 25,999… hardly the 31K bullshit you state. If 26K is too much for you, don’t get one and quit sniveling. ANY ADD ONS BEYOND THE DEALER COST WILL BE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE BUYER! Simple as that. Truth. Prove me wrong.

Addendum here, to SUZUKI Johnny… why spread false information? I often wonder why you own a Harley. But you need not answer, I don’t really give a fuck.

WOW Harley is perfect topic title. Best motorcycle ever made.
Signifying nothing”

Yooper
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: VN2000 Kaw

Post by Yooper »

RoadKing wrote:

I have one shovel left, a "75 FLH. Probably most on here have seen it. It's the blue one with the Vetter barn door fairing that Craig featured on his Vetter site. Longbow rode it, came back with a big smile. I did the top end last fall, put in new valve seats and valves and guides. The old ones were original and didn't go well with unleaded fuel. Now to the bottom end. Been collecting parts, it doesn't show a lot of wear. Gonna do it anyway, the kicker gear is stripped so needs replacing. Cheaper than knee replacement. 92000 miles, many tires, electra-glide batteries are an order item now.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

Yooper wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:54 am
RoadKing wrote:

I have one shovel left, a "75 FLH. Probably most on here have seen it. It's the blue one with the Vetter barn door fairing that Craig featured on his Vetter site. Longbow rode it, came back with a big smile. I did the top end last fall, put in new valve seats and valves and guides. The old ones were original and didn't go well with unleaded fuel. Now to the bottom end. Been collecting parts, it doesn't show a lot of wear. Gonna do it anyway, the kicker gear is stripped so needs replacing. Cheaper than knee replacement. 92000 miles, many tires, electra-glide batteries are an order item now.
Ah, music to my ears. Just like an old Waylon song…

There’s a measure of people who don’t understand
The pleasures of life in a hillbilly band

Same holds true of having a Shovel on the bench! Working towards that day when it first fires! Those who have done it, perhaps more than once, understand the love for a Shovel. Back in the 60’s and 70’s my dream was to have two Shovels… one jamming down the highway and the other on the bench! Best of both worlds. Thank you for your words, Yoop. Good to hear from you once more. :cheers: I know that 75 turns heads everywhere you go. Late model Shovels can be the best hot rod bikes in the world.
Signifying nothing”

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

Not sure if it's still true but the RG had a different frame from the EG's a little taller. The RK had the higher seating position of all the tours. Of course Harley has changed quite a bit on these bikes over the year's so I'm no longer up to speed on the specs.
All I know is if I could have a do over, I would have kept my 99 RG because they did away with some of the best stuff after that year.

sgtcall
BIKE REPOED!

Post by sgtcall »

Suzuki Johnny wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:18 am

Standard on the King is ABS, Cruise Control, the new Milwaukee Eight 114cc engine, trip A and B, range to empty and gear indicator.
Estimated gas mileage is set at 43MPG but you'd most likely get better gas mileage as my 2020 Tri Glide Ultra gets that on back roads.
Depending on your color choice (add 500.00 for color)..basic price is $23,999.00, plus all the add on's local dealers slap on the price tag and you're looking at anywhere from 30K to 31K out the door..

If you want a radio or CB radio you'd be better off adding after-market products.

On the Harley website the Tri Glide CVO is not listed, I'm wondering if they are going to discontinue that version.
I don't know enough about them to know the difference but the Tri Glide Ultra is still available for the 2023 model year.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

If the day comes I accept that I can no longer ride a motorcycle, I’ll get me a motorboat. No sport-car convertible, no 3 wheeler, none of that. A boat. Do they make a motorboat that can accommodate me and 6 dogs? Where will they poop and pee?
Signifying nothing”