Chinese Regulator/rectifier

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Chinese Regulator/rectifier

Post by Herb »

Or forgetting to tighten the oil filler plug after an oil change... Man what a mess!!! :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 03 VS1400

Post by m2h »

Just a bit of an update. Been chasing my tail with the multimeter for two days, looking at you tube vids, scratching my nuts and my head. Measured 0.2 vac from the new pickup coils. Manual doesn't spec this reading. Research seems to say 0.25v is a minimum on other vehicles. Emailed Rmstator in canada for confirm -awaiting reply. Don't know if 0.2v is enough to trigger CDI? 11.4vdc on coils positives, full 12v going into CDI. Coils within spec otherwise, removed and cleaned grounds around em. No improvement. CDI pik in manual shows different connection colours to harness plugs WTF! So test reading diagram is worthless :bonk: :confused: :bonk:
Still no spark. Gibbering idiot by 1600hrs so went inside for beer. :cheers: Tomorrow have to try and see if coils are unloading POS -> NEG. If not how much is a DYNA 3000 ??? [emoji2] [emoji41] :hellfire:
:cheers:
M2H
" Old Guys Rule!" :rock:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Not sure what is happening but I really doubt that replacing the ignitor unit is the answer. And if you are getting the same readings on both pickups and still don't have spark the issue probably isn't both pickups going bad at the same time.

If you replaced the pickups that would be the only reason for the wires to be different from the wiring diagram.

I had the ground wire from the ignitor box break at the back of the plug, you might start there.

the first diagram is from a 96 the second one is from an 05

I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by m2h »

Herb wrote:Not sure what is happening but I really doubt that replacing the ignitor unit is the answer. And if you are getting the same readings on both pickups and still don't have spark the issue probably isn't both pickups going bad at the same time.

If you replaced the pickups that would be the only reason for the wires to be different from the wiring diagram.

I had the ground wire from the ignitor box break at the back of the plug, you might start there.

the first diagram is from a 96 the second one is from an 05

Hey thanks Herb, I have both of those and i tend to agree with you. It's got me a bit baffled. The bike was running really sweet just not charging. The only thing i've changed is the stator and the pik ups, all wired together. Contact from RMStator say the've sold 39 units with no problems. They haven't got back to me yet re the output from pik up coils, said they'd ring. It is inconceivable to me that the CDI just gave up but it's just not triggering the spark. All the new wiring is the correct colour and i checked continuity of each one to the CDI, but i will do them again and wiggle them at the same time, man i hope you're right :blink:
M2H

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Page 7-6 of my manual, which is from 1989, says that the resistance through the pickups should be 240 ohms, plus or minus 20%, black-yellow/blue-green.

is there any chance the pickups are not installed correctly? Did the assembly come with the connectors already installed? Could the wiring they did be wrong?

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by m2h »

Herb wrote:Page 7-6 of my manual, which is from 1989, says that the resistance through the pickups should be 240 ohms, plus or minus 20%, black-yellow/blue-green.

is there any chance the pickups are not installed correctly? Did the assembly come with the connectors already installed? Could the wiring they did be wrong?

The pickup resistance is 200 ohms which is the same on the new and the oem,which is in spec. You can't install them incorrectly as one lead is too short to reach the other mounting point. Connectors came attached and i managed to get them thru without taking them off as i thought i might. The colours and position were correct. "Plug and Play"
WEll after doing as you suggested i wiggled and tested, tested and wiggled to no avail - all good. Plugged everything back in and tried a start, both plugs out. Motor spins over just fine, no spark Nothin', nada, zip, zilch. For some thing to do i rechecked all the resistance readings on the CDI :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: Now there appears to be nothing there at ALL either :confused: I have a reasonably expensive digital meter so its not that.
It really looks like the CDI is toast. F*#@^&%$#@*&%&^#K I was getting something there before even tho it was nowhere near the spec. Am i just that fucking unlucky :hellfire: :hellfire: :hellfire: :hellfire: :hellfire: ?
More bloody research :bang:
M2H

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Check for voltage on the orange/white going into the ignitor, both sides of the connector.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by m2h »

Lechy wrote:Check for voltage on the orange/white going into the ignitor, both sides of the connector.
[emoji41]
Yep thanks Lechy i don't think there is any part of that wiring i haven't checked at least three times [emoji2]
Thanks mate
M2H

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

No worries. If you have voltage going into the box and voltage both sides of the coils it would be a good idea to replace the 2 pulse wires. I had a similar problem after re-wiring my 750, I had the pulse wires arse about face, had a spark but it was trying to fire at the wrong time. Try removing the plug caps and see if you can get a spark out of the HT leads.

[emoji41]

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

As a last resort, try this:

[youtube][/youtube]

:naughty:

[emoji41]

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by m2h »

Lechy wrote:No worries. If you have voltage going into the box and voltage both sides of the coils it would be a good idea to replace the 2 pulse wires. I had a similar problem after re-wiring my 750, I had the pulse wires arse about face, had a spark but it was trying to fire at the wrong time. Try removing the plug caps and see if you can get a spark out of the HT leads.

[emoji41]
New stator came with pulse wiring attached and am getting ac voltage on them when cranking. No spark at either plug. CDI fucked. :hellfire: Ordered new one today. Dyna3000 :naughty:
M2H

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by m2h »

Lechy wrote:As a last resort, try this:

[youtube][/youtube]

:naughty:

[emoji41]
:funnylast: :lmao: :lmao:
M2H

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast

Re: Chinese Regulator/rectifier NOT NOW CDI

Post by m2h »

Bought a DYNA 3000 Hope the fucking thing fixes this shit!!! I'm over it :bang:
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
M2H

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by m2h »

m2h wrote:Bought a DYNA 3000 Hope the fucking thing fixes this shit!!! I'm over it :bang:
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Lechy wrote:
navigator wrote:Just a thought, after you did all this...did you plug it back in?
Folks often forget to plug in the cdi when they put the seat back on.
Not as bad as forgetting to put the 2 plugs back after adjusting the valves. :bang: :bang: :bang: :lmao: :lmao:

[emoji41]
Well its been a while. Update : long story short. After fitting the new stator, supposedly plug and play, no spark, checked coils out seemed ok, CDI died, bought new Dyna 3000 yaaay got spark to both coils. Only runs on front cylinder. Swapped plugs, only runs on front cylinder. Checked compression 125psi on both cold WOT. Suspect failing coil, replace coil, no change. Check plug caps clean resistors and springs, better spark. Remembered Lechy's post standard plug DPR8EA-9 resistor plug. mmmmm made up brass rod chucked out resistor - fatter spark. Still wont run on rear. Emailed RM stator for advice. They said try swapping green and blue wires in connector. Fucking thing started
first push RUNS ON BOTH :bow: :bow: Apparently the change in polarity was all that was causing issue. So now the pick up coil harness goes from blue to green and green to blue instead of matching. Go figure. :confused:
Man i had really had it with this thing. Haven't had a run yet but on reving it was putting out a bit of black smoke. Did an oil and filter change while i had the side cover off and have used 15w-40 diesel oil this time. Could this cause the smoke? only ran it for 10mins and wasn't running as smooth as before either. Will give it a run tomorrow if it's fine and see how the Dyna goes. Have dialled in 6000rpm and stage 3 curve for now.
M2H

rix86
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: Numerous

Post by rix86 »

Well that's interesting.
Does the old CDI work again?
THAT guy

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by m2h »

rix86 wrote:Well that's interesting.
Does the old CDI work again?
Nope, first thing i tried after it ran on two pots, dead as a dodo. Took it for a short ride this afternoon was a bit disappointing. Tending to chug a bit at 30-40 in 3rd. (Was damn good before) In top gear at about 70-80 the power came on strong so the #3 advance curve seemed good there. Played with the A/F screw on the rear as it was chuffing a bit at idle and had a big improvement in idle (screwed it in ) I may try dropping back to #2 (stock-ish setting) and see if that helps the mid range.
Without the cap resistors bike starts quicker. Wonder if that has had anything to do with mid range performance also. Too many variables at once me thinks :confused: Anyway good to be mobile again [emoji106] [emoji106] Also noticed the rev counter doing some strange things, not had issues with that before and it runs off the front coil not the new one. Time will tell i guess.
M2H

roger884u
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2001 suzuki intruder vs1400

Hi im new

Post by roger884u »

.hello board ...as i was saying newbie ...bought a 01 vs1400 an its giving me the blues from day one (3rd bike)period...lets get to the bear bones ..picked up a vs1400 guy proably still lhfao...its never hit on rear so in experinced as i am i started my best gusess... ok compression ck showed 30lbs on rear but i didnt hold WOT...idiot ok so ebay shopping find resonable 95 or 6 eng. It arrives i install runs same as last ..only its 4sp...same carbs had them apart cleaned 3x ..ok so i put new coils pick up an ingnition coils new stator ,reg/ rectifer ...gos from hitting on frount to no start..ok im in to deep to quit ( sry for going on an on) so i buy the dynatek 3000 an discover the previouse owner done a hack job on wire harrness...so i desperatly need pic of cdi harness so i can identify whitch wire go to whitch prong on harness plug...6wire plug ...an 8 wire plug pls help...i just wanna ride.

roger884u
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2001 suzuki intruder vs1400

Post by roger884u »

Btw i worked steadily used all my free time an money for last 3months im tapped discusted an ready to walk away i cant put anymore into it..besides the fact its stolen sticker going be $450 to register it ( another lie) should done my home work was told tags were up to date